U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM
 
777 posts, read 1,440,340 times
Reputation: 415

Advertisements

i've been hearing that Sprint has 4G connectivity issues around the US, so I'm just curios if those with Sprint phones here in San Antonio have any issues on 4G connectivity.

i'm looking at finally snatching a phone with 4G capabilities, but with the good ol' $10 additional fee for 4G, i was looking to find out if there is good connection to that network here in SA.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
Reputation: 3989
If you have a strong signal, it works great. And Sprint now charges $10/month extra for every smart phone, not just the 4G ones..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,664 posts, read 8,135,549 times
Reputation: 9240
I've had great success with Sprint's 4G. Since the EVO 4G has a craptastic battery I just turn on the 4G when I need it for data and turn it off when I am done. 3G is plenty fine for phone calls.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Lakewood, CO
172 posts, read 418,276 times
Reputation: 70
I have no issues with 4G pretty much throughout the city. There are a couple of spots where I do not get it but no issues for me! There are even some spots where I get really slow 3G but get 7+ Mbps 4G speeds.

Also like the above poster said, you are going to get charged the extra $10 for all smartphones.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
 
777 posts, read 1,440,340 times
Reputation: 415
thanks for the input. 3G does fine for me currently, but I just wanted to make sure SA was getting good 4G service if i'm going to be forking out the extra $10
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,807 posts, read 26,345,946 times
Reputation: 3989
I guess the 4G makes me not happy at all with the 3G. 4G snaps and 3G naps more than anything else. The $10/month charge now is just for any smart phone, so it's not like you're paying more just for 4G and of course the best phones are going to be the new 4G ones. And I think the key is location. If you're outside 1604 like me, it's not so great, but near the major highways and Loop 410, it's very fast and very strong.

As far as the craptastic Evo battery, there's a solution to that as long as you don't mind the increased size..
Amazon.com: HTC Evo 4G 3500mAh Extended Battery + Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought it a couple weeks ago and am VERY happy with it. It has about tripled the life of the battery and I've been following the steps recommended in the comments about letting it die all the way before recharging. Just sucks that they lowered the price a couple bucks from when I ordered it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,664 posts, read 8,135,549 times
Reputation: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I guess the 4G makes me not happy at all with the 3G. 4G snaps and 3G naps more than anything else. The $10/month charge now is just for any smart phone, so it's not like you're paying more just for 4G and of course the best phones are going to be the new 4G ones. And I think the key is location. If you're outside 1604 like me, it's not so great, but near the major highways and Loop 410, it's very fast and very strong.

As far as the craptastic Evo battery, there's a solution to that as long as you don't mind the increased size..
Amazon.com: HTC Evo 4G 3500mAh Extended Battery + Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories

I bought it a couple weeks ago and am VERY happy with it. It has about tripled the life of the battery and I've been following the steps recommended in the comments about letting it die all the way before recharging. Just sucks that they lowered the price a couple bucks from when I ordered it.
I didnt want the increased size. I found that Advanced Task Killer does a great job of prolonging the battery and like I said, I just turn the 4G on as I need it since I havent really found that it improves actual phone calls at all. (makes a huge difference for data)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Lakewood, CO
172 posts, read 418,276 times
Reputation: 70
ATK doesn't help at all for prolonging your battery life. Its a huge debate on the internet but people do not realize that Android does a fantastic job at handling resources.

The bottom line is battery is going to suck no matter what you do. People have had good results with extended batteries and/or trying different kernels but it only makes a slight difference if anything. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,664 posts, read 8,135,549 times
Reputation: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgito View Post
ATK doesn't help at all for prolonging your battery life. Its a huge debate on the internet but people do not realize that Android does a fantastic job at handling resources.

The bottom line is battery is going to suck no matter what you do. People have had good results with extended batteries and/or trying different kernels but it only makes a slight difference if anything. Good luck!
I read all of the debates and here is what I can tell you. Before ATK my battery MIGHT last 8 hours. Since using ATK and killing the tasks running in the background I get a minimum of 24 hours.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
 
Location: SA/Pipe Creek
2,790 posts, read 5,184,949 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
If you have a strong signal, it works great. And Sprint now charges $10/month extra for every smart phone, not just the 4G ones..
When's that going to start? I am looking at my bill now and it's the same price as always.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top