U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM

11,141 posts, read 20,325,757 times

Advertisements

[mod note]This post and the 25 replies below it were moved from another thread in this forum. The original thread was discussing work in another field and its OP wasn't interested in working as a security guard. [/mod note]

If you don't have a criminal background and don't mind boring work, it's pretty easy to get a job as a security guard. Try Allied Barton, they have lots of female guards and they hire people with no experience, plus they have some of the city contracts. Dress up when you go in to fill out an application...they won't let you apply if you don't show up wearing business casual. Easiest thing to wear would be black slacks and a blouse with a collar, earrings that don't go past the earlobe and no other jewelry. Despite what people may think, all that unarmed guards do is write reports and call the police if they see problems, and try to stay awake It actually wouldn't be a bad job for a student, especially if you were working overnight, because there's lots of quiet time to study.

Wherever you apply, you may have better luck if you don't tell them it's just for the summer. Don't worry too much about finding something in your field if it's just a summer job.

Last edited by Bo; 05-18-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,184,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you don't have a criminal background and don't mind boring work, it's pretty easy to get a job as a security guard. Try Allied Barton,

if you dont mind working for racists, give allied barton a call

"thats ok, we dont need anymore of your kind here"

thats something that one of their black trainers told me after i questioned the need and legality to go back 10 years into my living history (legal limit is 7 btw).

/yes he still works there.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 AM

7,000 posts, read 10,240,778 times
How do you know he was talking about race? Maybe he didn't like you questioning their policies.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
How do you know he was talking about race? Maybe he didn't like you questioning their policies.
since you seem to know what he was talking about, why dont you enlighten me?

company policies do not supersede STATE LAW. the guy was merely being an ass and being bigoted/racist at that with the 'your kind'.

explain to me how 'your kind' can be taken as non-bigoted/racist.

cheers!

/if i was doing something illegal, i wouldnt like people questing it also but i wouldnt be a bigot about it, lest that potential app calls the media..

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 AM

Whether it's legal or not has nothing to do with it; he could have just not liked you questioning their policies and was referring to your attitude when he said "your kind." Almost all of Allied-Barton management is Hispanic and the majority of guards are Hispanic which is fitting because San Antonio is mostly Hispanic. I don't care if you were right or wrong or if their policy is right or wrong, it doesn't mean you can just assume "your kind" means race.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Whether it's legal or not has nothing to do with it; he could have just not liked you questioning their policies and was referring to your attitude when he said "your kind." Almost all of Allied-Barton management is Hispanic and the majority of guards are Hispanic which is fitting because San Antonio is mostly Hispanic. I don't care if you were right or wrong or if their policy is right or wrong, it doesn't mean you can just assume "your kind" means race.
yeah, right. way to defend a bigot/racist.

im not sure if you work there, or have worked there, but someone *very close* to me used to work for those c*cks and said the exact same thing about him. so did the receptionist (the cute, chubby hispanic girl that used to work there), and so did a few of their duty officers.

there is a reason he's a trainer now, and not a patrol officer like he used to be

/though i dont see why they just didnt fire the racist/bigot and hire a hispanic

Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 AM

He could have been racist or he could have not been. The point is that you don't know. That receptionist has one of the nastiest attitudes I have ever experienced in my entire life if we're talking about the same person. She was always rude to me, but I don't go around calling her racist.

By the way, becoming a trainer is a promotion. The last time I worked there, patrol officers were only making $9 an hour.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
He could have been racist or he could have not been. The point is that you don't know. That receptionist has one of the nastiest attitudes I have ever experienced in my entire life if we're talking about the same person. She was always rude to me, but I don't go around calling her racist.
im not sure. when the person close to me worked there, there were 2 of them. the one in the beginning, a skinny snotty b*tch, was rude, crass, always dressed in skimpy clothing, wore WAY too much perfume... that sounds more like her.

the chubby girl didnt get hired til about a month before the person i know quit there to go work a better job at the county.. one with a gov't backed 401k and a government pension.

/yes, i do know, as most of his coworkers labeled him as a racist/bigot
//thats the primary reason he was demoted to trainer
///too many complaints about racism against him when he was on the beat.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM

I actually think becoming a trainer is possibly a promotion. If his position was that of "duty officer," then he was only making $9 an hour.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I actually think becoming a trainer is possibly a promotion. If his position was that of "duty officer," then he was only making $9 an hour.
meh, promotion or demotion, AB had to get him off the beat because of the bad rap he was giving them. im really not sure why they want a racist like that working for them, but hey if businesses can hire illegals with no worries, im sure the same can be done for racists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio