U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
161 posts, read 200,871 times
Reputation: 108
Can't fix stupid.

 
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 1,914,103 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Wow. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. Chavez was a Navy veteran who was actually AGAINST illegal immigration because unscrupulous U.S. interests kept "importing" workers from down south and thus fought against organized movements for workers' rights HERE. Like him or hate him--just get your facts right!

Oh yeah--he was born in Arizona. And he's also the most well known Hispanic/Latino civil rights activist in this country's history, even though he fought mainly for farmworkers regardless of their race/ethnicity.
Although I am completely against the street-name change (mainly for fiscal reasons), I appreciate you setting the facts straight about Chavez.
 
Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: san antonio texas
1,814 posts, read 746,129 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Although I am completely against the street-name change (mainly for fiscal reasons), I appreciate you setting the facts straight about Chavez.
facts about the chaves history, and chavez himself, are irrelevant.

the city needs to stop pandering to special interest groups and wasting tax payer money!

NAME ONE FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO CHANGING THE STREET NAME.

/im waiting
 
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,705 posts, read 4,933,669 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Although I am completely against the street-name change (mainly for fiscal reasons), I appreciate you setting the facts straight about Chavez.
word.
 
Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 1,914,103 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
facts about the chaves history, and chavez himself, are irrelevant.

the city needs to stop pandering to special interest groups and wasting tax payer money!

NAME ONE FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO CHANGING THE STREET NAME.

/im waiting
Troublemakers bore me.
 
Old 08-02-2011, 11:13 PM
 
37 posts, read 34,199 times
Reputation: 33
SA doesn't know what to do with money it seems. *shrugs*
 
Old 08-03-2011, 05:22 AM
 
1,469 posts, read 1,322,312 times
Reputation: 656
Default Yes,

They always seem to get underfoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Troublemakers bore me.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 AM
 
4,167 posts, read 6,617,398 times
Reputation: 1672
I feel like the San Antonio city council will be busy deciding how to change street names while the country is going up in flames.
 
Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM
 
1,469 posts, read 1,322,312 times
Reputation: 656
Default Unabashed Anger of Cesar Chavez,

It is all so very amusing, now that the tables at City Council have turned one hundred and eighty degrees ! Wow, I read each and every post here and marvel, reaching a very deep level level of satisfaction I rarely get out of seeing social change, especially- the ones occurring locally , and at the outrage. An inner sense of hilarity also occurs from this perspective. This is FUN, whichever way it ends. This symbolizes more than a (shanged) street name. Democracy works.
I guess one would have to have experienced what was experienced by
me in the not too distant past- and people like me, Americans we are- to have this outlook. To have witnessed and seen it. Irresponsibility by the S.A. Council on this name change you say ?
Nah, Disregard. Yes. It is business as usual in San Antonio but with a twist.
They were elected, all of them?
I will remember at each and every signpost ,what the changes symbolize, I remember everything, don't worry, I won't forget. It is the outraged, being held up to public scorn and screaming out about it, that chooses to forget. Change the street name- just to right past social iniquities. Man- can we ever- hate what this change stands for, what it symbolizes. Just cannot believe it , and won't stand for it. So we scream for mercy. We.
These- symptoms of changes- have only just begun, lest we forget. It merely hasn't reached the media yet, soon we will be on cable T.V. too. As for now we are held invisible, but we have the vote and we have time and nowadays social justice. Slow Social change will creep along regardless of what we do. That is
what makes this country work, regardless of what antbody will try to explain to you.
Here, in this place, that makes all the difference.
Viva Rick Perry? Nahhhh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
In every poll I have seen, the percentage of people in favor of this is in the single digits. This is obviously a very unpopular agenda that was pushed through by a Hispanic majority on our city council. A majority city council who did not care what the majority of citizens wanted. This is a Hispanic majority city council thumping it's chest in bravado to show what they can do. The citizens of this city would do well to take notice. Every time you see those Caesar Chavez street signs on the surface roads and freeways remember how they got there. The Hispanic majority city government of San Antonio has shown their level of irresponsibility and they have chosen to display it on street signs downtown and on major freeways. Let those signs be a reminder in the next election.
 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM
 
Location: san antonio texas
1,814 posts, read 746,129 times
Reputation: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
TL: DNR
troublemakers bore me

*yawn*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top