U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 AM

10,406 posts, read 12,667,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatSA View Post
I would think a council isn't going to vote yes to something that has 100% opposition.
It didn't go through the normal channels for proposition. The idea was birthed by a member of the council, apparently.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:58 AM

3,139 posts, read 5,157,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I think those that want these name changes should foot the bill!
Actually, they are supposed to pay for it.

On the City's website, there is an application for a street name change. It contains the following statement:

"Pursuant to Section 6-669(d), The applicant is responsible for providing the total cost of the sign replacement process. Please provide the total project cost in full below."

So why is this this one being paid by taxpayers, and not the requestor? At least my Councilperson voted against it. Couldn't the special interest groups making the request have conducted a fundraising drive to pay for this?

Last edited by ged_782; 05-20-2011 at 05:06 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
would be interesting to see who the special interest groups are that got this rolling in the first place..

Old 05-20-2011, 05:19 AM

361 posts, read 821,769 times
Why do Mexican immigrants need a Cesar Chavez street in every major city in America?

Ths is now like the 20th city to have one now. It's ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I sent an email to my councilman, Reed Williams, voicing my opposition to the name change. It's a waste of money for one thing, and why Durango and not a new street as someone else mentioned?

Anyway, Williams voted against the name change, so I'm at least happy with that. Did anyone else voice their opinions to their councilmen? Did they vote the way you wanted?

I think I read Mayor Castro said that cities change names all the time, so it isn't that big of a deal. Or something along those lines. I also read the SA Conservation Society opposed the name change because of the history of the street - went back to the 1880's.

Durango name change is drawing opposition - San Antonio Express-News

I have no problem naming a street after Chavez, I just think it's ridiculous to spend $100K on it when the money could be better spent elsewhere. Makes me worry about what else this lame duck council will do........
i hope all the gimps who voted for that tard castro are /facepalming right now. what a terrible waste of money. who cares about caesar chavez and whatever s/he did?

how is any of what s/he did relevant to renaming a street after him/her? its not.

castro is just pandering to the hispanic crowd again, playing the race card and trying to set himself up a legacy he can retire on.

when will people learn castro is NOT good for this city?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times
Complete waste of tax payer money. If it is was such a "slight inconvenience" for the business owners on Durango..why didnt the city offer to pay for all their costs too. The city and state are both in budget crunches and now they have to pay for this useless change.

He isnt even from here. What did this guy accomplish anyway? Mexicans were picking fruit for pennies before him, and they are still picking fruit for pennies now. And people still eat grapes like they are going out of style.

I always read he was your typical union organizer......skimming money from the dues and sticking it in his own pocket. He always claimed part of the dues went toward medical insurance for farm workers...but then the would tell the workers to go to the county hospital because it was free.

What's next, are we going to change Houston St to some famous Lucha Libre?(a Mexican wrestler in a mask - for all you guerros)

Last edited by Primo; 05-20-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatSA View Post
First off, I doubt it was 100% opposition. There were probably two sides. Well, three.

Those for it.

Those against it

Those who didn't/don't care.

Second, it's a street name change. It's not the end of the world people. Yes, it's a inconvenience to businesses who have to update promotional material with the new street name, but aside from that, it's not that big of an issue.

There are far more important issues in this world to deal with than a street name change.
Don't think for a minute that this was just an issue of renaming a street. This was an "in your face" political move by our mexican city government to show who is in charge of this city. They could have renamed a number of streets in this city with not much opposition. Frio City road. Castorville Road. Guadalupe Street. No, they knew there would be opposition and choose to flex their political muscal. It's time to get all of the hyphenated Americans out of our city government and return San Antonio into a non-sanctuary city. This is what happens after years and years of unmitigated illegal immigration. I believe this was Chavez's agenda all along. To make it more desirable for illegals to jump the border and infiltrate our nation. It's time for San Antonio to gather at the polls in force to get San Antonio back into the hands of people that want to be Americans. The name Ceasar Chavez will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth. Now, wouldn't a park with a Gazeebo filled with the history of Ceasar Chavez and his work have been a more fitting memorial?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM

44 posts, read 93,979 times
Now the city will probably change Houston Street from honorarily being named Rosa Parks Way, etc... The old history of the city is being replaced by this. The taxpayers foot the bill, the property owners have to change their addresses with all of their contacts and their stationary, preprinted envelopes, etc... All this does is cost all of us money just to make a special interest group happy? Why not name another future street after these people? Durango Street has been named that for the entire existence of this city, now when someone tries to find a business or other address on Mapquest or other searches, they will not be able to find it due to this? The same thing was done to Coliseum Rd. for different reasons, first changed to SBC Center Pkwy, then to AT&T Center Pkwy, just to make the Spurs and the phone company happy. Two name changes to this street in about a three year period- ridiculous!!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMAS655 View Post
Now the city will probably change Houston Street from honorarily being named Rosa Parks Way, etc... The old history of the city is being replaced by this. The taxpayers foot the bill, the property owners have to change their addresses with all of their contacts and their stationary, preprinted envelopes, etc... All this does is cost all of us money just to make a special interest group happy? Why not name another future street after these people? Durango Street has been named that for the entire existence of this city, now when someone tries to find a business or other address on Mapquest or other searches, they will not be able to find it due to this? The same thing was done to Coliseum Rd. for different reasons, first changed to SBC Center Pkwy, then to AT&T Center Pkwy, just to make the Spurs and the phone company happy. Two name changes to this street in about a three year period- ridiculous!!!!
what special interest group? oh you mean the hispanic base that our failed mayor is pandering too?

why do these particular hispanics hate san antonio history so much? did chavez personally do anything for san antonio? if not, why is he deserving of having a street thats been around for decades renamed in his supposed honor?

more pandering to the pathetic special interest hispanic groups. again, why do they hate san antonio history so much?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM

64 posts, read 114,264 times
This is a silly waste of money. To demonstrate how silly it is to name a street in honor of someone so that they will be remembered forever, I don't even know who Durango was, nor do I much care. I am sure at the time, he and his family thought it was a big deal to get a street name. Apparently, now Chavez is deemed more important than Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio