U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,234,005 times

Advertisements

The name change was a personal crusade by Jamie Martinez. He has spent years trying to get the name change. He had met and worked for Chavez. So that made Chavez a personal hero. Chavez is not a major American hero for anything. He was an activist for worker rights. Naming a new street or a less major street would have been more appropriate. The part I dislike the most is the personal crusade by Jamie Martinez to get it done. It affects the entire city. It will always be Durango.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 AM

575 posts, read 1,260,614 times
This is messed up $100,000 to change a street name. UM WOW that's a lot of money just to change 1 street. What's wrong with our city council that they think it is okay to waste that much money? We could of used that money for better things to improve SA like the police, parks, etc. I guess it is too late to do anything now since it has already passed. Why not make that stupid council member pay for it instead of using city taxpayer money? I wonder how much money our city council is wasting on other things as dumb as this? What is changing a street name going to do to help SA? I just can't get over that it cost $100,000 to change a street name.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:05 AM

3,142 posts, read 5,169,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
This is messed up $100,000 to change a street name. UM WOW that's a lot of money just to change 1 street. What's wrong with our city council that they think it is okay to waste that much money? We could of used that money for better things to improve SA like the police, parks, etc. I guess it is too late to do anything now since it has already passed. Why not make that stupid council member pay for it instead of using city taxpayer money? I wonder how much money our city council is wasting on other things as dumb as this? What is changing a street name going to do to help SA? I just can't get over that it cost $100,000 to change a street name.
Part of what makes this one so costly are the TxDOT overhead signs on expressways like I35 & I37. I believe they'll have to shut those expressways down at some point, and bring in a crane ($$$) to change those signs out. Durango is also a long street with many intersections that have pole-mounted or overhead traffic-light-arm-mounted COSA signs.

Of course, the $100,000 doesn't include any costs to be borne by businesses that have to change their signage, brochures, advertisements, business cards, stationery, etc.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:04 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,309,857 times
What a waste of taxpayers money. Why don't that 355k a year city manager step in and stop this nonsense?? Name a NEW street after him if we have to, but leave Durango alone. Typical San Antonio City Council thinking....personal agenda over common sense. And we wonder why we are a poor city...

Old 05-21-2011, 06:16 AM

3,142 posts, read 5,169,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
What a waste of taxpayers money. Why don't that 355k a year city manager step in and stop this nonsense??
Because she can't. Doesn't have the authority.

Remember, the City Manager works at the will of City Council.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,866,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Park? No not fitting enough. Change the name of the street .
Ever heard of the political machine The Good Government League? It is a very good to have things the way they are now. The playing field has been leveled now, once again. Many don't like this , but it is what it is and it is the way it once was ,long ago, truly.
Send your home address Bob and I will send you a box of breath mints for the
times when you think of the newly named street. It may help with the bad taste
in your mouth, that is in rememberance of the beloved Cesar.
To quote directly from an Ex-Minnesota Gov./Professional wrestler Jesse Ventura interview, when asked his opinion on the amnestly law-in a voice of outrage- "Did the pilgrims have visas or passports? " Ventura is funny and tells it things as he sees them. He's was a good politician but has some strange notions about how the federal govt. should be run.
I draw a very great deal of amusement from posts like this one, it is so obvious,the rancor about the people who want to be "Americans."
An American can be of any color, race, religion or ethnicity and come from any country like let's say um, Schwarzennegar. Leave the street name-get the breath mints.

Gee, I guess I should bow to your credibility, I mean quoting Jessie Ventura and all. I hope that if any good at all comes of this it will be to clear our city government of the majority of council members who do not have San Antonio's best interest at heart. They have showed their colors right after they were elected to office by a single digit percentage of voter turn out. Their colors are not red, white and blue. They are flying red, green and white. I just read in todays paper that the San Antonio Conservation Society has filed an injunction with Judge Antonio Arteaga. He is supposed to make a decision on Monday. Anyone want to make any predictions on who's side Judge Arteaga will side with? If anyone thinks that the majority of San Antonian's want to change the name of our historic Durango street just read the comments here and elsewhere in the on-line news articles. If as many people would go out and vote as post on-line perhaps we could get our leaders to do what their constituents want instead of pandering to special interest groups. We need a movement that will last until the next election. That movement should have a battle cry of "Remember Durango Street". There has already been some talk of recall election petitions.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:58 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,186,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
This IS San Antonio. If you don't like it leave. NOT ONE CITY, is going to encompass every culture, ethnicity, origin...etc (well, except New York!)...so either take it or leave it!
austin does a pretty good job of it and its not even an hour from here.

sorry, i will not take it. i will complain and call my elected officials who WILL bow to public pressure. you are the small voice in this thread thats dominated by voices who oppose this waste of tax payer money.

also, no, i will not leave. ive come to like this little craphole in texas and ill be damned of a bunch of special interest hispanic groups are going to take it over and turn it into another 'chocolate city' - the hispanic version.

if YOU dont like us exercizing our first ammendment rights and possibly a recall petition, YOU leave. you are no one to tell us what we can and cannot do, where we can and cannot live. YOU are the problem. YOU and your bigoted special interest groups!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:01 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,186,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I don't agree with using this taxpayer money in a time of need. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't be for the change on a new street or if donors paid to get "Durango" renamed.

Using taxpayer dollars when budgets are already stretched thin....well, they HAD to know there would be opposition to such a thing.

Still, I feel it's important to keep legacies alive for many who have made a difference.

If it were up to me....I'd rather give a street name change to Emma Tenayuca. She was jailed and threatened for standing up for the rights of workers in the 1930s, here, in San Antonio. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/oep01
which is perfectly acceptable. name a new street after her. dont tear down the name of a historic street that has been here for decades upon decades.

what the hell did chavez do here? nothing. so, why is some special interest group trying to change the name of durango street?

Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,309,857 times
"Their colors are not red, white and blue. They are flying red, green and white."

You got that right!

Taking Texas back little by little......

Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,307,630 times
Someone needs to pay for all this wasted money. Now it is in court, so the price tag just jumped significantly and I'm pretty sure that original $100K cost was a guess pulled out of someone's you know where.. all the people living and working on this street will need new checks, driver's licenses, address labels, advertisements (I'm sure at least a couple have radio/TV/print ads that say their address), webpages, and that's in addition to the street signs and maps that will need updating. Not to mention paying for all the labor to change those signs. You know it's going to take a crew of at least 50 to supervise the one guy that will be doing all the work...
This is just stupid, even for a city with no shortage of special people.. SA isn't even an agriculture town, so what did that fool do for anyone here? It is indeed all about pandering to specific groups and it's BS at its finest/worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio