U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:28 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,865,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
this post smacks of bigotry and prejudice. Just so you know, not ALL hyphenated Americans (like myself) are in favor of naming durango to Cesar Chavez. As I said in a previous post, I don't see that the typical Mexican American has anything in common with Chavez. There were plenty of local Mexican American leaders that deserve more honor than Chavez; those that opened the doors to equality of the American dream.

Incidentally, I will say this. Why aren't any of the "old" Downtown streets named for ANY of the Tejanos that died and fought for Texas' independence? I think that it was pure prejudice. The Anglos of that time didn't believe in fairness or paying respect to someone not of the same culture. Think about it, we have "Bowie", "Travis", "houston st", although we do have "losoya" also. I'd have to research that one. Why doesn't Juan Seguin have a street? Why was Lorenzo de Zavala given a street way out in the boonies after so many years of going unrecognized? Well, it WAS the boonies back then after all when they gave him the street. Frankly, I'd like to see some streets named after true Tejano heroes in the newer parts of town like they did for deZavala.
I think it's bigoted and prejudiced to use your obvious majority on the city council to push through extremely unpopular agendas just because you can. I don't care if we have Martians sitting on the city council as long as they use there positions to do what the people of San Antonio want. That's not what happened last Friday and I think you know it. People see what's hapening and they don't like it. I think there is a lot of people who don't like it. And they don't like it a lot. Our Mayor and City Council should take note of the reaction to their actions. Ignore the populace long enough and they will find another set of city leaders.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:33 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,439,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I think it's bigoted and prejudiced to use your obvious majority on the city council to push through extremely unpopular agendas just because you can. I don't care if we have Martians sitting on the city council as long as they use there positions to do what the people of San Antonio want. That's not what happened last Friday and I think you know it. People see what's hapening and they don't like it. I think there is a lot of people who don't like it. And they don't like it a lot. Our Mayor and City Council should take note of the reaction to their actions. Ignore the populace long enough and they will find another set of city leaders.
Your mistake is lumping me in with all of those "hyphenated" political miscreants that make up our City Council. I sat behind some of your bigoted brethren at a recent City Council ethics hearing for the Wellmed crook councilwoman Jennfer Ramos. the bitter old white shrew former conservative City Councilwoman called Ramos opponent's sister a "mexican bitsh". Classy. People like you are dying out and will not be the majority in San Antonio as you once were.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,015,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
this post smacks of bigotry and prejudice. Just so you know, not ALL hyphenated Americans (like myself) are in favor of naming durango to Cesar Chavez. As I said in a previous post, I don't see that the typical Mexican American has anything in common with Chavez. There were plenty of local Mexican American leaders that deserve more honor than Chavez; those that opened the doors to equality of the American dream.

Incidentally, I will say this. Why aren't any of the "old" Downtown streets named for ANY of the Tejanos that died and fought for Texas' independence? I think that it was pure prejudice. The Anglos of that time didn't believe in fairness or paying respect to someone not of the same culture. Think about it, we have "Bowie", "Travis", "houston st", although we do have "losoya" also. I'd have to research that one. Why doesn't Juan Seguin have a street? Why was Lorenzo de Zavala given a street way out in the boonies after so many years of going unrecognized? Well, it WAS the boonies back then after all when they gave him the street. Frankly, I'd like to see some streets named after true Tejano heroes in the newer parts of town like they did for deZavala.
Agreed! I was actually going to mention that also a couple of days ago that we have: Bowie, Houston, Travis (etc.) streets downtown. I didn't have the energy to start a new war on a new thread though. Haha...I'm kinda petered out.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM

10,458 posts, read 12,685,629 times
48 out of 50 responses to the proposed change arrived at the council BEFORE the vote took place, all of which were against the name change.

COMPLETELY ingnored by the council!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
so, who wants to start a recall petition for the retards that suggested this asinine project?

id gladly sign off on it!
Good luck changing the council's agenda, even with a successfuly petition.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Won't solve anything. The main proponent (Philip Cortez) and 3 others who voted for it are term-limited out. That's more than half of the 7 votes that approved this. Take some satisfaction from the fact that Cortez's wife won't succeed him in the office.

Maybe that's why the push for this happened at the end of their terms, rather than the beginning?
Very good point, as far as doing this at the end of a term.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM

467 posts, read 911,304 times
City counsel will get their way,...they changed Nebraska Street to Martin Luther King Drive with no problem,...no objections there!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 AM

37 posts, read 59,445 times
I want Broadway changed into Oompaloompa St.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:52 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,413,309 times
Default Hell no I'm not angry at all,

A simple name change to an hispanic surname provokes such outrage.
I believe this is humorous,very very humorous. How dare they do such an outrageous thing ? I am amused. Tsk.,Tsk.,Tsk. I now demand a Cesar Chavez National Holiday.
S.A. is a heavily latin influenced city obviously right , like Miami is. Some have called this name change a political power play. This sort of bickering and backbiting is always in play here in S.A. I just thought well...O.K. into the fracas. I mean this sort of favoritism has never happened among other ethnicities ,right? Whose is the dominant side ?
Other ethnic groups have already recieved their just do proportionately.
Spaniard ? Your jealous too ? What do you want, Franco Blvd? I think this the most petty post. Lets' just bring the British side in to represent the American roots, we can't let them go around unclothed and underrepresented. Prince Charles Blvd ? Nah, they have Churchhill High.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
umad?

what he said was spot on. its pandering to special interest groups. as a hispanic, i can say im sick and tired of seeing nothing but mexican/hispanic culture crap plastered throughout the city. what about the germans? the dutch? the koreans and chinese? pander to them, they actually have an interesting history.

what about spaniards like myself? what about MY history?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,302,376 times
It has nothing to do with the national origin of the word and it's not like Durango was a Swedish word in the first place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio