U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,352,393 times

Advertisements

Just curious as how ratepayers will vote to either dissolve or retain Bexar Met if given the opportunity.

It doesn't seem to be much of an issue out here in Kallison Ranch. Many of my Neighbors aren't from San Antonio so they really don't have an opinion. So far Customer Service has been great but the rates are higher than we paid in Westcreek. In this day and age both factors, especially the rates, are huge factors.

From what I've heard / read the Southside appears to be loyal and will vote to keep them afloat. Folks on the Northside (Stone Oak) appear to want them to be dissolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:07 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,990,051 times
Given their track record, I can't imagine anyone being in favor of keeping them in existance - but stranger things have happened I guess. When we were looking at homes 7 years ago, if someone had BexarMet water supply, it automatically disqualified them from further consideration, simply because I didn't feel they could be trusted in terms of prices OR water quality/availability.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:10 PM

11,144 posts, read 20,325,757 times
I'd rather just have one bill, whether it was from BexarMet or SAWS. I have both right now, water from BexarMet and sewer from SAWS.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM

708 posts, read 1,236,074 times
I can't believe anyone would like BexarMet with their HUGE BS system improvement fee.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,416,288 times
Our rates were lower when we lived in a SAWS area. Plus, better customer service, etc. Please dissolve...

Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 AM

5,619 posts, read 12,935,102 times
Here's food for thought. Bexar Met is not subject to all of the codes and compliances that SAWS is because it's a small utility. I've seen folks with line pressures under 20 lbs and not able to use a shower and then the other end of the spectrum with line pressures well over 120 lbs and the users wondering why they can't keep a commode flush valve from leaking. Should they have any line breaks which causes millions of gallons of water to be wasted, generally they have no clue how to find it. They use hydrophones to listen for leaks. That's kinda like a can on a string technology. There's not enough bandwidth here for me to tell you just how many leaks I found in one subdivision that Bexer Mets people couldn't find wasting millions of gallons of water. Just how much water do you think an 8" line with 120 lbs of pressure will leak with a complete and clean break in a month? And they couldn't find it. Sorry, but Bexar Met has to be the most incompetent utility in Texas. It needs to go away and quick.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM

I too have heard of Water Pressure problems within their areas. Law requires a minmum of 35 psi at all times unless a fire is being fought in the area and it can drop to no lower than 20 psi. System pressures will vary due to the distace the water has to be pushed out from the station and sometimes it is again boosted up to maintain adequate pressuree. Pressure Reducing Vavles are required if the incoming water pressure is over 80 psi. Builder's will usually istall them but they will fail over time resulting in increase or decrease incoming water pressure. Then it becomes the responsibility of the Customer to replace it.

What frightens me is that I know Folks that live in Bexar Met Service Areas (not here in Kallison Ranch) and many times due to the point of practically dewatering a main they issued Boil Water Notices. One young lady that I work with contacted TCEQ and found out thast serveral of these notices were never reported to the State.

At this point and time I am "on the fence". If they can stop the lawsuits for embezelling, sexual harrassment, miss use of Ratepayers money, lower their rates to be in line with SAWS , and provide great customer service it may sway me to retain them.

Maybe I'm asking for too much.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Although we knew it was coming it was very sad to hear about all the Bexar Met Layoffs today. I have this fear if Bexar Met is not dissolved they will again raise their rates. Unfortunately they don't have to go before City Council like SAWS does.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,307,598 times
I hear all types of complaints about BexarMet all the time, but at the same time, I hate to see competition go away. If only it were GOOD competition....

Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM

10,864 posts, read 11,911,621 times
The only issue I have with BexarMet is their water restrictions kick in way before SAWS do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio