U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:43 AM

6,998 posts, read 10,233,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
But, so many of us are misinformed, or uninformed, that we really need an excellent service such as this. So many of us take SA for granted, and we need several reminders that our cops are amazing, our tagging and litter problems are such petty little things, our irresponsible pet owners are much more palatable than icky homeless people, and our skyline is not as glamorous as other places. Very useful, indeed!
I tried to rep you, but oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 06:45 AM

177 posts, read 316,983 times
Good post, Sapphire! Any of us who are in or have been in the military can compare other places to SA. The problem is the major compares downtowns... and nearly EVERY downtown will have its own issues, for sure. The difference is that in SA, the problems spread out to ALL outlying areas. There is a real lack of pride in SA; like it's ok to drive by litter, beggars at "nice" intersections, watch new neighborhoods get tagged overnight, or turn your back on the dumping of animals. At least Atlanta is making some strides... Grant Park, for instance, has been "taken back". My dear friend lives there and the neighborhood has banded together to stop the ugliness found in cities. Here, everything is written off as "it's part of the culture". Atlanta has amazing neighborhoods very close to downtown where these things are not tolerated, and it's understood that if you participate in those things you are not welcome to live there.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:03 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
Well, the intent was to inform those who ignorantly complain about the negative aspects of this city that things are not much better elsewhere. But obviously those individuals who probably never go anywhere else are so set in their opinions that it won't make a difference. Luckily, the ignorant few are a small majority and many others are interested in hearing about such comparisons, especially for places that they've never visited.

I guess it's OK to badmouth San Antonio, but anyone who tries to show the positive aspects of this city are doomed to be criticized for doing so.

By the way, if you go on most of the other city sections on this forum you would see that comparisons between cities are quite common; so I guess while a select few may not see the value in them the majority of people do!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

San Antonio has many great qualities. But if you think that by pointing out how crappy other cities, in your opinion, are, is supposed to minimize the real, and ever- present issues many of us see on a daily basis, I think you're wrong.

Last edited by Bo; 05-21-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Moderator cut: off topic/personal It's easy to dig around and see only the bad things about this city, but the truth is that in comparison to other metropolitan areas of similar size San Antonio has quite a lot of positive aspects that they don't. But I can understand how someone that spends all their time in front of a computer with 12K+ posts might not actually get out and realize that!

Truth be told I enjoyed my week in Atlanta, but I also realized how it differs from San Antonio and how the things a select few think we need here or the problems they claim are so rampant here are in reality nothing compared to that city. You think we have a homeless problem? Well, we do have them; but nothing to the extent that I saw there. Crime? Nowhere close to what I witnessed in Atlanta. So much so that it concerned me, and even more so with those I was traveling with.

Sure, they've got a bigger skyline, and it was impressive; but if the price of that is the problems they are having, I'll pass thank you very much!

I honestly don't care if anyone disagrees with my assessment, and I would love to hear other opinions from those familiar with both cities; but criticizing me for my observations is a waste of time as I honestly just laugh at such ridiculous and uninformed remarks!

Last edited by Bo; 05-21-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,273,650 times
MMM - dude seriously you copy and paste....errrr....post just as much as anybody else who has been on this board longer than a year, myself included.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
MMM - dude seriously you copy and paste....errrr....post just as much as anybody else who has been on this board longer than a year, myself included.
How do I "copy and paste?" Sure, I include posts with articles on local events; but the majority are like the above thread which are made up of my words.

Maybe you ought to pay a little closer attention to the content of my threads and be less quick to criticize them!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,273,650 times
ALA! Calm down! I would pay more attention to your posts......if they weren't so damn long.....

Old 05-21-2011, 05:31 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,982,489 times
The crime may be high in the actual city of Atlanta but I lived in a suburb of Atlanta (30 min north of it). Where I lived and many of the surrounding areas the crime was much much less than even in San Antonio. There was no tagging and I never worried about the wanna be knock off gangs. San Antonios problem is it encompasses such a large area.....many zip codes are part of San Antonio. I mentioned that in a previous post. There may be alot of homeless in the ATL area but that's what people here refer to as the inner city. You'd see the same in Dallas, NY, Houston etc. But not in the surrounding areas. You're not seeing it on your local main street. Money? Ha, ATL areas are loaded.

Texas is my home and I LOVE San Antonio!!!! ATL is my second home. If I ever had to move out of Texas again, ATL is back to where I would love to go. But in comparison it's apples to oranges. Again this is my opinion from living in both places, actual experiences.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:28 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,233,864 times
San Antonio is never going to solve its problems by burying its head in the sand and pointing to possibly worse places as a reason not to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or