U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 21,249 times

Advertisements

the short story- builder will only provide 3 of the following, my choice.

rear sod- 35x57 yard
sprinkler system
refrigerator
front load washer and dryer on pedestals
2" blinds for all windows.

I want to call and get pricing from local guys for the yard before deciding. Who is good and reasonable in the San Antonio area (north- Indian Springs is the area actually.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,365,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aLittletank View Post
the short story- builder will only provide 3 of the following, my choice.

rear sod- 35x57 yard
sprinkler system
refrigerator
front load washer and dryer on pedestals
2" blinds for all windows.

I want to call and get pricing from local guys for the yard before deciding. Who is good and reasonable in the San Antonio area (north- Indian Springs is the area actually.)
Is LENNAR your Builder? This sounds the same as to what was offered to us. We took everything (you listed) but the Washer and Dryer since ours were new and went for the Water Softener.

If I were to do it all over again I would give up the sprinkler system. Oh its nice but there is a lot of water waste and its difficult to get the even watering (although I try) that we need. However if you are alone, busy at work, or travel you will probably want the sprinkler system.

To answer your question I would take......The Blinds, Sod, and the Washer and Dryer.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM

431 posts, read 645,341 times
sod for sure you are looking at 6-7 pallets $150<avg> plus install
fridge depends on model
washer dryer same as fridge
id take the sprinkler system adds value to the house (front+back)

blinds you can get for $30 each so count your windows

Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 AM

874 posts, read 1,166,965 times
Assuming a 30 year mortgage, you will be paying for the fridge, washer, or dryer for those 30 years but probably replace them several times over that same 30 years. The sprinkler and sod are probably more durable in the sense you will repair and improve them but likely not replace over the 30 years. Just something to consider when making your choice.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,030,647 times
go for the sod, sprinkler system and blinds. The rest is considered personal property and won't add anything to the value of your home. And even the blinds don't count really don't count. Maybe you can trade the blinds for something else, like a water softner or upgraded kitchen equipment or bath fixtures.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:03 AM

5,621 posts, read 13,072,730 times
I'm a little confused about the washer dryer on pedestals.
I'm having a hard time believing that any builder will actually put the washer/dryer in the garage considering code. Any appliance with a heat source or ignition source MUST be 18" off of a garage floor. That includes water heaters, washers, dryers, etc. If that is the case, the builder MUST supply the pedestals with the house regardless if you chose the option. You also need to know that for most women, it puts the washer dryer mighty high. Otherwise, I don't understand the "pedestals" for the units.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,030,647 times
I bought the pedestals when purchasing a front loader and it really helps in not having to bend over so far. The controls are about still just below eye level for the Ms. My only complaint is that the LG washer doesn't have a door that you can switch the opening direction. And, without some major adjustment, I can't move the washer machine to the other side of the dryer.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Well the point of My OP was to get referrals for sprinkler and sod but thanks for everyone’s recommendations on what to get with the points.

These items are incentives to use their lender. I can use a different lend but then we don’t get these items. There are additional incentives for just buying the house so in no way do I feel like I am financing these items for 30 years.

In the end I went with the sod, sprinklers and front load washer/dryer with pedestals.

After pricing 2" blinds online it was pretty apparent I could get them for the whole house for less than 800 shipped. Sod, Sprinklers and washer dryer were all above this price point.

After renting a home the last 4 years in Hawaii I am looking forward to a BIG FRIDGE! instead of the little one provided by our current landlord. I want to pick my BIG FRIDGE myself. haha

Meritage Homes is building our house for those that were asking.

thanks for everyones input!

Allen

Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'm a little confused about the washer dryer on pedestals.
I'm having a hard time believing that any builder will actually put the washer/dryer in the garage considering code. Any appliance with a heat source or ignition source MUST be 18" off of a garage floor. That includes water heaters, washers, dryers, etc. If that is the case, the builder MUST supply the pedestals with the house regardless if you chose the option. You also need to know that for most women, it puts the washer dryer mighty high. Otherwise, I don't understand the "pedestals" for the units.

the washer dryer will go in the laundry room. Did I miss a side conversation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio