U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:43 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,185,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, I guess many believe it's the teachers' fault for their childrens' poor educations! As usual, it's much easier to blame others than to look in the mirror and see who the real culprit is! I would be very interested in hearing a comparison of the level of involvement by parents in the different school districts in San Antonio. I suspect it would reveal that in the lower-performing schools it would show that parents are quite absent. That is often the result of their lack of education or belief in its importance.

Parents are what make or break a school system. Throwing money at the problem, or blaming others for its faults are never going to fix things. It is a known fact that budgets are being cut across the state and country, so it will require even greater parent involvement to keep the system up to par. This will be a real test of how engaged parents are, and if I were a betting man I would expect that the schools that have done well in the past will continue to do so while those who have been sub-standard will digress even further; and instead of concentrating on workable solutions many will opt to take the easy out and blame a myriad of other causes that our beyond anyone's control...
mostly true. parents who take no part in their child's education are only setting up said kids to repeat the failures of the parent.

on the other hand, tenure (yes it exists in texas under another name, continuing contract) also makes it extremely hard to fire bad teachers and not reward good ones.

none of this will matter as the rapture is a little more than 4 hours away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 12:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,015,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
thats the parents responsibility, not mine. if you feel so strongly about it, YOU pay for it
Um...Not me. They (taxpayers) are already paying for it through tax dollars and bonds. As such, the educational system is accountable to THEM, the taxpayers. "I" am not the system, so it has nothing to do with me.

Look at the bigger picture which is the system as a whole which comprises hundreds of thousands of students across the country.

Quote:
again, its up to the parents to provide for their crotchfruit.
I think everyone knows that. All parents should provide for the "crotchfruit" whether they be in Alamo Heights, or in the inner-city.

Quote:
if they want a better education, move to a more affluent side of town with better schools
No, this doesn't solve the problem. The system as a whole needs to be reformed.

Quote:
stop spending money on booze and smokes and send your kid to a private school.
Ah, but everyone has to have their booze and smokes. Let them have booze and smokes galore! Let them be gluttonous! The reign of booze and smokes shall continue to infinitum!

Quote:
arent spencer and darwin 2 favorites of the left leaning crowd? why are you so angry at nature taking its course?
What does "nature taking its course" have to do with inequality of a quality education in the United States of America? Explain, genius...I'd really like to know.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 05-21-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,451,882 times
Anyone looking for more information on the public school system, I highly recommend: Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action
There is a documentary on some of the issues we have touched in this thread. There is no mention of SA or Texas but its a good look at the public school system.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:10 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,451,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I have always felt that society should embrace the idea of all children being well educated because these children do not remain children forever. They grow up eventually, and the less intelligent and well rounded they are, the likelihood of them becoming drains on society becomes greater.
I agree! Yes, I am a realist and realize that not all children will be able to become successful individuals in society. There is no 100% way to ensure so but its better than not doing anything at all. Statistics show that a high percentage of inmates have less than high school or only a high school education. The estimated cost to house an inmate is around $15k and up per year, depending on the facility.
Start of my little personal soapbox:
I remember growing up not really having any role models to look up to that could encourage me to make something of myself. I just did it on my own. Parents couldn't really help me; my mom left high school and my dad has a 3rd grade education from Mexico. I went to a rough inner city school but it was one technology teacher that gave me some hope. Sure there were bad apples of teachers in the bunch. College was kind of talked about but it wasn't spoken about in confidence. Now I work in a program that helps students from inner city schools go to college. I wish there was a program like this when I was a student. The students are bright to begin with but one of our brightest students never would have had the confidence to attend MIT (she is currently a sophomore) but instead would have been ok with attending UTSA or another local school. Her mom is a widow and disabled and speaks only Spanish. She had no one to really talk to...she would be in my co workers offices all the time yearning for some guidance.
Soapbox end lol.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,556 times
As I read through this I ask myself how many of these people are actually teachers??? I am a teacher and trust me the "lifetime certificate" teachers are retiring left and right which is a good thing. I am sorry but being a 60 year old teacher is not effective. Call it ageism, but times they are a changing. If you want to talk about how schools are funded it is based on a broken property tax system that was adopted in 2006. Today's funding of schools is based on that 2006 property tax rate. If you are like me and live/work in NISD and want better conditions in schools address the property tax issue. Actually, that property tax system runs throughout the entire state. Want to change it... vote and get Republicans out of Austin.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:24 PM

YouTube - ‪Northside ISD Finance - Plain and Simple‬‏

Wake up and quit voting along party lines!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,117,123 times
Here are the details behind the NISD cuts...

News : NISD cuts budget by $61.4 million; 973 positions will be eliminated

Excerpt...
Quote:
Superintendent John Folks said the positions will be eliminated through attrition (retirements and resignations) and that no employees will be terminated. If necessary, the District will use a portion of its fund balance to avoid laying off staff members, he said. Currently, about 13,000 employees work for Northside ISD.

In addition to the elimination of positions, a salary freeze will be enacted, operating expenses for campuses, programs, and departments will be reduced, and class sizes will be increased.
So where would the added expense of a "bussing" program come from?!?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Whomever originally posted this is dreaming of a utopia. That will never happen. What Folks is saying is the PC version. What he is saying is that special ed services are getting cut next year and so are resources thoughout the district and state. Sad to say spec. ed kids/GT kids will be the ones to suffer. Two opposite ends of the spectrum will be denied due to "budget cuts". Let us hope Perry runs for President b/c he has pissed off enough teachers(and there is a union) to not get re-elected as Gov.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Oh, and class sizes ARE increasing! I already have my roster for next year. 30+ kids in one room. I am not whining b/c I will do my job the best I can, but I hope you don't have an average child in my room b/c my time will be spent with the spec ed kids while your child breezes along and is not challenged. Not my fault, blame your elected officials in Austin.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:05 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Anyone looking for more information on the public school system, I highly recommend: Waiting for "Superman" | Official Site | Take Action
There is a documentary on some of the issues we have touched in this thread. There is no mention of SA or Texas but its a good look at the public school system.
I would add a disclaimer that Waiting for Superman is a good film to watch to get one side of the story. The makers of the movie did not once give the other side a fair chance to defend themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or