U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM

47,529 posts, read 45,235,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Your thoughts are noble. Nobody wants a child to suffer.

But the reality is that we, nor the government, CANNOT fix it. There is not enough money in the world to throw at a problem to make sure each kid has a happy life.

Personal responsibility is the only way for problems to truly get solved. It really does suck that some won't have opportunities, but that can't be everyone's responsibility. We all have charities that we donate to to try and fix problems and help folks, but there isn't enough charity or money in the world fix things that personal responsibility will.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people, but that can't be my responsibility.

And there are a lot of folks that didn't have a great childhood, yet achieved great things. Individuals can break free from situations if they're driven enough.
Personal responsibility helps. This is why the parents need to do right by the child. However, what if the parents fail to do this?

Yes, individuals can overcome odds, but people always need to get help from somebody. This is part of why I have an issue with this whole "Horatio Alger" stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,302,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Personal responsibility helps. This is why the parents need to do right by the child. However, what if the parents fail to do this?

Yes, individuals can overcome odds, but people always need to get help from somebody. This is part of why I have an issue with this whole "Horatio Alger" stuff.
There's just not enough money in the world. Sometimes people get dealt a crappy hand and there's nothing that we can do.

To keep throwing money at a problem that can't be fixed with money is just throwing money away.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,273,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post

Some kids will be destined to go to the better schools because their parents chose wise life decisions, while others didn't. Why punish my children for your poor decisions? Hell, we had 4 days to find a house when we moved here, and even I knew in those 4 days to stay away from the south side. It's sort of a no brainer. Every city has a crap place to live, and that's it. People of the same type tend to flock together.
I live on the South Side and I CHOSE to live on the South Side when I could have afforded to live somewhere else. It is not a "crap place to live." Is it as shiny and new as the NSide? Some parts of it are as it is continuing to grow and develop. There are many families and people who are hardworking and honest folks who choose to live here and raise their families on the Southside. There is a lot of SS pride that often gets buried under the perception. I am proud to call this my side of town, my home....it hasnt always been easy but instead of running away from the problem, I chose to be part of the solution. I love my neighbors, I am thankful that I can sleep at nite knowing nothing will happen to my home or my vehicles, and I am blessed to live comfortably in a part of town that I dont feel afraid to be in.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:37 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,442,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I live on the South Side and I CHOSE to live on the South Side when I could have afforded to live somewhere else. It is not a "crap place to live." Is it as shiny and new as the NSide? Some parts of it are as it is continuing to grow and develop. There are many families and people who are hardworking and honest folks who choose to live here and raise their families on the Southside. There is a lot of SS pride that often gets buried under the perception. I am proud to call this my side of town, my home....it hasnt always been easy but instead of running away from the problem, I chose to be part of the solution. I love my neighbors, I am thankful that I can sleep at nite knowing nothing will happen to my home or my vehicles, and I am blessed to live comfortably in a part of town that I dont feel afraid to be in.
Thank you! I'm a former Southsider but it will always hold a place in my heart as that's where me and the hubby started our life together. I could have afforded to live somewhere else too but I chose to be there. My coworker lives there now...her and her boyfriend have the money to live anywhere else but they live there... with bachelor's degrees and good jobs and all.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
This is a GREAT post showing an example of the fact that not everyone's vision of what's best for "the kids" is actually true. There are a lot of very happy people in the inner city. And a lot of very unhappy people in the shiny new schools.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,482 times
Quote:
I am thankful that I can sleep at nite knowing nothing will happen to my home or my vehicles, and I am blessed to live comfortably in a part of town that I dont feel afraid to be in.
I completely believe that. All the criminals from the South, West, and East side....are busy robbing and stealing from the Northside!

Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 PM

47,529 posts, read 45,235,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
There's just not enough money in the world. Sometimes people get dealt a crappy hand and there's nothing that we can do.

To keep throwing money at a problem that can't be fixed with money is just throwing money away.
I wouldn't say that there isn't enough money, but not all distributed in the right places. I say everyone should have the same opportunity to a decent education. Make the standards high for everyone. Make the expectations high for everyone.

However, there should be something done for the children who just happen to have lousy parents. It isn't their fault, therefore, they shouldn't suffer for their parents error. What solution do you propose that doesn't involve alot of money?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,442,871 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that there isn't enough money, but not all distributed in the right places. I say everyone should have the same opportunity to a decent education. Make the standards high for everyone. Make the expectations high for everyone.

However, there should be something done for the children who just happen to have lousy parents. It isn't their fault, therefore, they shouldn't suffer for their parents error. What solution do you propose that doesn't involve alot of money?
You've raised a good point in making standards high for everyone. There are students who need and want that and will rise to the occasion. That's why a school such as KIPP does very well in its model. All students are expected to perform at a high level and no student is to slipp thru the cracks gone unnoticed. The good thing is that a home visit is set up with the parents so they know what's expected of them and their child. For some parents, its a good motivating kick in the butt. For others, it's not.
I've got an idea that doesn't involve money and it involves time. Time for someone to step up for a young child needing guidance and become a mentor for them. Big Brothers and Big Sisters is a good place to get started.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
What solution do you propose that doesn't involve alot of money?
Personal responsibility is the ONLY option. If that parent doesn't perform (and WHO would set those standards anyway), then the kid has a rougher go of it. We'll find out what that kid's meddle is. Some will succeed. Some won't.

Just because a child doesn't have YOUR upbringing, or what someone else deems a good upbringing, doesn't mean they don't have a good life. I know a ton of very happy people with little money and that aren't what I'd call highly educated.

Success and happiness means different things to different people. If that child is in danger, social services should step in. If not, there's no room for anyone to step in and impose their will, no matter how good their intentions are.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM

615 posts, read 1,325,475 times
Quote:
I am proud to call this my side of town, my home....it hasnt always been easy but instead of running away from the problem, I chose to be part of the solution. I love my neighbors, I am thankful that I can sleep at nite knowing nothing will happen to my home or my vehicles, and I am blessed to live comfortably in a part of town that I dont feel afraid to be in.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be a debbie downer about the South side. I'm sure some people quite enjoy it. Then again, the same people might be really happy with inner-city DC as well. *shrug*

I like living outside the city in an area that I know I wont get robbed in. When I drive down certain areas of the South side and I see bars on the windows and burglar doors on each house, it sort of sets a level of uneasyness in me. Sorry to stereotype the south side as the slums of San Antonio, but I sure as heck don't see burglar doors on Northside houses. Then again, my idea of the South side and yours may be different as well.

To respond to the other poster about fixing the solution... there is no fix. Parents who are unfit to have kids will continue to do so. It's a matter of life. There will always be crappy jobs for people to do, and trust me, it wont be a person with a Masters degree doing it. It will be the kid who's parents didn't give a crap, sent them to a crummy school, and smoked dope after school with his friends while his parents cheered him on. No matter of bus-ing him to the other side of the city will fix that. He'll just find other kids to smoke dope with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or