Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,216,934 times

Advertisements

People have to rid themselves of the illusion that being further away from downtown makes it "safer." There is violent crime in every corner of this city, and it's spreading rapidy like a cancer. I think the biggest concern, though, is the quality of the schools. Is there a way to convince people that you can get a better education at an SAISD school or even half of the NISD schools, as compared to NEISD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 PM

330 posts, read 1,367,463 times
The problem with inside 410 vs. the outer parts of San Antonio is the cost. The nicer areas inside 410 (Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, etc.) are waaaaay more expensive than the outer suburbs.

Everyone knows these places are great, it's no secret at all. That's why they cost more, and that's what pushes people (like myself) to live further out.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
People have to rid themselves of the illusion that being further away from downtown makes it "safer."
Yeah only fools think that.

I grew up in the San Antonio College area. I live right off the St Mary's Strip. I've never heard a gunshot in my neighborhood. I've never been threatened or beaten up. I've walked around in this area after hours and I've never been afraid whatsoever (walking from near St Mary's Street to the Valero on McCullough and Ashby).

Old 05-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
The problem with inside 410 vs. the outer parts of San Antonio is the cost. The nicer areas inside 410 (Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, etc.) are waaaaay more expensive than the outer suburbs.
True that.

Living 2 blocks south of Monte Vista, I pay only $400 a month, all-bills paid with free cable-tv for my apartment, yet, if you go up 5 minutes from where I live, you have rent (similar to a place like mine) starting at $650.00 a month with no bills paid.

Heck, even just 5 minutes from me there are some half-a-million dollar mansions in Monte Vista. A far cry from my lowly $400 a month apartment. Ha.

It definitely is too expensive. Some people have the money for it though!

Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 PM

574 posts, read 1,332,632 times
Xsa210X ...you are spot on with the realtor comment.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM

The reason why more people want to be in the burbs is because many of them want their kids to go to the "better" schools. That's why.

And of course, all the realtors always recommend the burbs moreso over quaint and nice little neighborhoods (excluding King William, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights, or Olmos Park) closer to downtown. More and more people have been and continue to move further out and out and out.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Kudos to Montirob, Juneof48 and Chaka - great posts!

I live just inside the loop myself in an area that is usually called Monticello Heights, although I don't really think there's an official name for the neighborhood. I'd still live here if I had kids, and we would be very involved in the school from k through 12, hopefully making a positive difference and helping kids succeed. I think that a kid who grows up in outer exurbia is missing out on a lot of life.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM

894 posts, read 1,534,794 times
It is a combination of many things. Schools, shopping, affordability of quality housing, safety, traffic, proximity to ones workplace. It is the balance of these that make one area to be perceived better than another. Homes inside loop 410 are now populated by an older demographic than they were 30, 40, 50 years ago. They kids have grown, moved out and gone to the burbs. It can shift back the other way but is going to take significant investment by developers, schools and the city to reshape the inner core to be a desirable place to live.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,609,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mone2 View Post
Areas such as Jefferson High School and Holmes and other areas that were once suburban are now inner city and low income schools, and is there somehow we can bring the population back to the inner city?
It was in mysa.com where city leaders are encouraging people in suburban areas to move back to inner city areas, imagine if we could renovate run down neighborhoods, I see it as waste of time building these new neighborhoods while the old ones are ruined, we should fix the old ones, forget the new neighborhoods
why would i want to move into a run-down dump?

pass.

people leave those areas generally due to riffraff, trashy people moving in and causing trouble and crime.

/never lived in that area and you could never pay me enough to move into a dump.
//loves his house by alamo heights too much!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,068,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
why would i want to move into a run-down dump?

pass.

people leave those areas generally due to riffraff, trashy people moving in and causing trouble and crime.

/never lived in that area and you could never pay me enough to move into a dump.
//loves his house by alamo heights too much!
Wonderful homes near Woodlawn Lake/Jefferson HS. There are gems of a home depending on the street you buy in. Co worker lives there in a tudor style home and never has had any issues, knows all of her neighbors and not sure if he is still there but former Mayor Ed Garza has a home in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio