U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 AM

69 posts, read 159,311 times

Advertisements

These little municipalities are a joke, they should be ashamed of themselves. They are not engaged in honest law enforcement they are engaged in fundraising to support their ridiculous bureaucracies.

They ticket people daily not as a means of protecting the public, not as a means to enforce the law, they do it solely because they need the money to support their "cities" and their staff. All the police, the members of city counsel, and the mayor, are all collecting healthy pay checks every month by ticketing people for minor vehicle infractions.

Shavano Park is just one example of this.

Did you know the "City Manager" of Shavano Park makes 105k a year (the city is 1.7 square miles big). I can only imagine what the mayor, police chief, and city staff make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,940 times
Soviet – beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Primarily residential can still be beautiful. As for predatory, The city of Shavano Park has placed red flags on top of the speed limit signs, and instead of handing out tickets, issues warnings to over one third of the violators they pull over. (A warning looks like a ticket and lists an offence). Shavano Park may have had a “reputation” in the past, it takes time to live down a reputation, earned or not. Shavano Park is doing all it can to do that. Many people may not be aware of the fact that both NW Military Hwy and DeZavala have many private residential driveways that intersect the road, the speed limits may seem arbitrary but, just as beauty their appropriateness may depend on the beholder.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
These little municipalities are a joke, they should be ashamed of themselves. They are not engaged in honest law enforcement they are engaged in fundraising to support their ridiculous bureaucracies.

They ticket people daily not as a means of protecting the public, not as a means to enforce the law, they do it solely because they need the money to support their "cities" and their staff. All the police, the members of city counsel, and the mayor, are all collecting healthy pay checks every month by ticketing people for minor vehicle infractions.

Shavano Park is just one example of this.

Did you know the "City Manager" of Shavano Park makes 105k a year (the city is 1.7 square miles big). I can only imagine what the mayor, police chief, and city staff make.

Dave72 - The city Manager of Shavano Park makes $95,000.00 he manages a police force, a fire department, a water system, a court system and a public works department. He has over 20 years experience. The the Mayor and City Council do not get paid at all. (They are elected and serve as a community service) The City of Shavano Park does collect millions each year in property tax and by selling water. Income from traffic stops does not even cover the cost of the police department or the municipal court costs.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 PM

69 posts, read 159,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAVANOPARK View Post
Dave72 - The city Manager of Shavano Park makes $95,000.00 he manages a police force, a fire department, a water system, a court system and a public works department. He has over 20 years experience. The the Mayor and City Council do not get paid at all. (They are elected and serve as a community service) The City of Shavano Park does collect millions each year in property tax and by selling water. Income from traffic stops does not even cover the cost of the police department or the municipal court costs.
So if your position is, "they don't do it for the money," then why in your mind would they have such a massive negative reputation for writing tickets for minor infractions and harassing anyone unfortunate enough to drive through their little **** hole? How do you rationalize the police departments behavior? They just bored and need to look like they are doing something?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Y'know, it's funny - when they pull you over and cite you for one of the "minor infractions", what it ACTUALLY means is that other officers HAVEN'T been doing their jobs. And that's one of the reasons that the drivers of SA have gotten so lousy - because SAPD ISN'T enforcing the simple laws - if they would, we'd ALL pay closer attention to our cars AND our driving habits.

But, I know - it's LOTS easier to blame the cop rather than ourselves.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Y'know, it's funny - when they pull you over and cite you for one of the "minor infractions", what it ACTUALLY means is that other officers HAVEN'T been doing their jobs. And that's one of the reasons that the drivers of SA have gotten so lousy - because SAPD ISN'T enforcing the simple laws - if they would, we'd ALL pay closer attention to our cars AND our driving habits.

But, I know - it's LOTS easier to blame the cop rather than ourselves.
I admire you because you have never broken a single traffic law on purpose. Not even when you went 38mph in a 35 mph. :-p SAPD should have caught that because some of us know Shavano Park would! Oh what am I saying?

*snaps back to reality*

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I admire you because you have never broken a single traffic law on purpose. Not even when you went 38mph in a 35 mph. :-p SAPD should have caught that because some of us know Shavano Park would! Oh what am I saying?

*snaps back to reality*
Excuse me?? Where have I said that??? PLEASE point it out to me - because if true, someone has certainly gotten citations in my name! I didn't realize we were talking about it being on purpose or not! I don't see any difference, myself - I've been as guilty as the next person of breaking traffic laws - most of us do it daily, and it's because most cops "cut folks slack" that we don't ALL get tickets routinely - because most of us don't pay nearly the attention to our driving that we should.

My point is, when we get a ticket stop whining about it - man up and pay it. If, in fact, you are NOT guilty, then contest it in court (and I HAVE done so on one occassion). 99% of the time, the folks whining about it are actually whining about having gotten a ticket that they deserved legally - but in their little world, they can't POSSIBLY be at fault - it's either a "trap", or an "overzealous cop"!

Folks, for Pete's sake - if you break the law and get caught, stop whining - this isn't elementary school any more!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Folks, for Pete's sake - if you break the law and get caught, stop whining - this isn't elementary school any more!
oh snap! its not????

Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Yes, it would be over the top....if they weren't guilty of doing things that are wrong. Pulling over HedgehogMom (sp?) all the time, pulling over people who aren't white (although that story may have been blown out of proportion, I'll never know) and enforcing inappropriate speed limits.

It's pretty simple. Sure, they protect the residents of S.P. (they have a registration on the website where they'll patrol your house if you go on vacation) but that doesn't give them an excuse to be predators on other people.

Really simple solution: don't live and travel in S.P. They're punks & you just don't want to deal with them.

This is getting off-topic now, so let's go back to finding Z06 a great place to live. Emphasis on GREAT.
idk. ive driven through shavano park when my mother in law used to live there with her deadbeat cheating old fogie of an ex husband. im a nice shade of mocha brown, always make sure my needle is a hair under the limit and have yet to be pulled over.

sad thing is, in a small town, once youre pulled over once, they remember you and will usually go out of their way to mess with you. i heard alamo heights is like that and since i live next door to them, i make it a point to take the back roads to wal mart / lowes / goodwill on austin highway.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
You dont have a front license plate, that is enough to get your pulled over & a ticket in Shavano Park.
thats a state law if im not mistaking. i got a warning for that in balcones heights >.>

im quite shocked (as were all my friends) that i wasnt ticketed and my car wasnt impounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio