U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,212,255 times

Advertisements

If anyone cares....

"Revenue Generation" is a fairly easy idea to believe but if you actually look into it, you will see it isnt true. The Police cost money, they dont make it. It should also be noted, in Texas, most of the money from traffic fines goes to the STATE.

Second, no matter how you feel about it, the Police must be productive (you want them to be doing something for their pay) In small cities, nice places in particular, there isnt all that much to do. So they sit on the side of the road and do a lot of traffic enforcement.

I undertand people think that sucks or have even worse feeling about it but for everyone else, (the people who can undertand new information and incorporate it into their thinking) it is simply a result of the way things are. When the Police have nothing else to do, the enforce traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I admire you because you have never broken a single traffic law on purpose. Not even when you went 38mph in a 35 mph. :-p SAPD should have caught that because some of us know Shavano Park would! Oh what am I saying?

*snaps back to reality*
While it is a bit of hyberbole, there is some truth to the thought if you get a traffic ticket from SAPD, you really messed up or are just very unlucky.

Why? Because SAPD is busy. Most people cant imagine how busy. There are simply too many people needing to many things and too few officers.

Why do you think small towns have reputations for being "speed traps" (they really arent because most people simply dont know what a speed trap is but that is another story)...

The answer is, because that is the default setting for Police Officers. The "Revenue" generation" just isnt true. If you believe it is, I can do nothing to change you mind no matter how many facts I post.

However, if you are the kind of person that likes to know "why" and can accept new information, Again, in a small town you dont have as much to do and the default setting of Patrol Officers is traffic. So it would make sense that in small towns you are going to have a lot of traffic enforcement.

Last edited by Neshomamench; 05-24-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
These little municipalities are a joke, they should be ashamed of themselves. They are not engaged in honest law enforcement they are engaged in fundraising to support their ridiculous bureaucracies.

They ticket people daily not as a means of protecting the public, not as a means to enforce the law, they do it solely because they need the money to support their "cities" and their staff. All the police, the members of city counsel, and the mayor, are all collecting healthy pay checks every month by ticketing people for minor vehicle infractions.

Shavano Park is just one example of this.

Did you know the "City Manager" of Shavano Park makes 105k a year (the city is 1.7 square miles big). I can only imagine what the mayor, police chief, and city staff make.
Every Officer in the State of Texas has to rise to the same standards of education. The State sets the training standards. Sure, some Academies go above and beyond that but every Officer in Texas has the same License.

In small towns, when nothing else is going on, what do you want Officers to do? Go and hide? If you look at the STATE training, Officers are taught, when nothing else is going on, to be in public and be on the look out.

If nothing else is going on, who are you going to notice?...traffic.

It is not the fault of the small agency Police, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. It is simply a function of nothing else going on.

Last edited by Neshomamench; 05-24-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
They just bored and need to look like they are doing something?

Yeah...to be over simplistic about it.

Clear your mind for a second. imagine you are an Officer in a small town. You have a mandate to enforce laws and Training on how to do that.

...so nothing is going on. No one needs your help, no one is calling for help. The STATE mandated traing says to be visable and alert. So there you are, on the side of the road, with nothing to do.

...and someone drives by with an expired tag, speeding, whatever.

The truth is, You were waiting and looking, everywhere you could, for a violation of the law. That is your job. You saw one....the person with the expired tag, speeding, whatever.

Most people dont see it that way, but it is the way it is. An Officer was looking for someone breaking the law, he was looking everywhere and waiting by the radio for someone in need.

...if he got you (as much as it sucks) at that money, in all of his looking, you were the one he saw breaking the law.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Shavano Park was the only time anywhere that I was pulled over for a non-speeding offense only and that was for no front license plate on the truck I had at the time. I was guilty of not having the front plate so I just paid the ticket and moved on. No big deal but was surprised he cared enough to pull me over for that alone.

You will get pulled over in Shavano Park for the small stuff. I don't care what anyone says here. I experienced this situation myself.

It is best to make sure your car is completely legal (tint, plates, lights, etc) before rolling into any part of Shavano Park.

I had two cars after that truck with no front license plate and never got pulled over for it but then I didn't go into Shavano Park with them either.

My current car has a front license plate and I still don't go through Shavano Park.
Not having a front plate is against the law (in most cases) in Texas. Because you didnt get pulled over for it doesnt make it legal, it just means you got away with it.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
I am fully aware of the front plate law here in Texas. I am also aware that most of the money goes to the state from ticket revenue no matter where it is written.

This is why I paid the ticket and moved on. I wasn't willing to install a plate on the truck I had at the time. For those of you that wonder why I refused to was because it involved drilling holes into the bumper and I didn't want to do it.

You are not telling me anything I don't know. I agree with you that they must be bored and have nothing better to do than write tickets all day long.

Oh and TRN, I wasn't implying that you were speeding but I was trying to make a point how over zealous SP cops are.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,260,203 times
I've lived near Shavano Park since the late 80s. Thank god I have never gotten a ticket but then again I know not to speed there. I make it a point to go the speed limit in SP because I know they like giving out tickets. I always see them pulling over other cars or hiding in places waiting to get someone. That happens a lot in small towns nothing we can do about it. I'm not going to skip going threw SP just because they give out tickets. If I need to get to 1604 from NW Military I have to go threw SP. I'm not going to drive extra miles just so I don't have to drive threw SP.

Same thing with Castle Hills you just have to watch your speed.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Oh and TRN, I wasn't implying that you were speeding but I was trying to make a point how over zealous SP cops are.
There's a speed limit. The law says if you exceed it, you can be cited. Speed = ticket. Speed = scofflaw. Speed = NOT over zealous

It's YOUR choice to exceed the speed limit. You know what it is - if they bust you on it, it's YOUR fault - not theirs.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
There's a speed limit. The law says if you exceed it, you can be cited. Speed = ticket. Speed = scofflaw. Speed = NOT over zealous

It's YOUR choice to exceed the speed limit. You know what it is - if they bust you on it, it's YOUR fault - not theirs.
Some people go over and under without really being aware of it (like 3mph over for example). Enforcing a rule that gives no room for error would be impossible to enforce in cases like this for every single driver. If a cop wanted to apply the law in this fashion and send everyone to court with tickets for over or under 5mph posted speed limit, I can gaurantee you that the Judges will hate that cop.

I am sure you are going to rant on how the law is the law. Nothing is going to change your mind about speed control and rights to own an arsenal of guns. I get it. We have our own opinions in cases like this.

You can lay down the law in any way you like and you are right but lets look at the reality of applying the speeding laws. If I get a ticket for going 1mph-5mph over, you can bet your butt I will contest it. I currently have a clean record with one speeding ticket cleared by defensive driving. No way I am going to let an over-zealous cop taint my record with a BS ticket like that.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:54 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Some people go over and under without really being aware of it (like 3mph over for example).
If that's your defense, then you shouldn't be driving. If you can't stay aware of what you're doing, then you have no business being on the road.

Quote:
I am sure you are going to rant on how the law is the law. Nothing is going to change your mind about speed control and rights to own an arsenal of guns. I get it. We have our own opinions in cases like this.
<puzzled look> I'm ranting?? Did you really say that...and then go off on yet another tangent??? For the record, I don't "own an arsenal". But I'd like to.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio