U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
 
Location: East Terrell Hills
1,158 posts, read 1,375,997 times
Reputation: 1224

Advertisements

All of these rinky-dink municipalites(i.e. Windcrest, Olmos Park, etc.) are the same. They lack any stable form of revenue save for writing fines and citations. I work in Balcones Heights and see it whenever I'm there. The best thing to do is to avoid them. If you can't avoid them, drive under the speed limlt. Just be sure you are not driving too slowly lest you be cited for impeeding traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,942 times
Reputation: 13
@69GSstage1 - All of the "rinky-dink" municipalities are not the same. Because the average home in Shavano Park has an appraised value of well over 500K, it does in fact has a stable form of revenue. Although the tax rate is significantly lower than San Antonio and the surrounding "rinky-ding" municipalities, its operating expenses are more than covered by property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,633,836 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAVANOPARK View Post
@69GSstage1 - All of the "rinky-dink" municipalities are not the same. Because the average home in Shavano Park has an appraised value of well over 500K, it does in fact has a stable form of revenue. Although the tax rate is significantly lower than San Antonio and the surrounding "rinky-ding" municipalities, its operating expenses are more than covered by property taxes.
Oh, really? So you revenue generate just for fun & giggles, then? Well, guess whay? Your pqthetic fun & giggles result in genuine hardship for many.

So how about you get rid of the traffic police & just focus on something important like solving murder-suicides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 AM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,257 posts, read 8,993,152 times
Reputation: 6342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Oh, really? So you revenue generate just for fun & giggles, then? Well, guess whay? Your pqthetic fun & giggles result in genuine hardship for many.

So how about you get rid of the traffic police & just focus on something important like solving murder-suicides?
Hey, Soviet....news flash.....breaking traffic laws IS a criminal act, and those of us that try to obey them WANT them enforced, because those that ignore the traffic laws thinking that THEY know what a speed limit should be, where the stop signs should be, etc. really don't know what they think they do, and DESERVE the tickets if they're going to ignore the laws.

The point that you continue to miss is that the law is there for a reason. Break it, pay the price. Period. Your choice, your fine - and the broken record.......it gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,113,202 times
Reputation: 4435
Wait, I like the idea of being able to ignore laws you don't agree with! I for one disagree with speeders, so if I run them off the road and beat the living snot out of them, it'll be OK!

And that so-called "genuine hardship for many" can be easily avoided by obeying the speed limit! It's a pretty simple concept to understand, but somehow there's always "the few" who can't grasp it no matter how many times you explain it to them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
 
1,007 posts, read 1,211,949 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Oh, really? So you revenue generate just for fun & giggles, then? Well, guess whay? Your pqthetic fun & giggles result in genuine hardship for many.

So how about you get rid of the traffic police & just focus on something important like solving murder-suicides?

More people are killed in traffic than any other non medical way. It is also one of the best way to clear/catch felons/felony warrants.

If the task is "Make people safe and catch bad guys" (and that is the task) where would be a wise place to spend most of your time and effort? Driving in a car is flat out the most dangerous common thing most people do. People who commit crimes also have to move around as well.

Second, if it is a harship, perhaps those giant signs and book of rules available to all, might be something you want to pay attention to.

We all get it, you see it another way. Again though, it is the NUMBER 1 non medical killer. Hardly what you would make it out to be and why you will never get taken very seriously on this issue. There is a reality beyond your immature anger even if what you say has a level of truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,410,971 times
Reputation: 3593
As amusing it is to watch this, you will have as much luck changing Soviet's mind as he would changing your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,257 posts, read 8,993,152 times
Reputation: 6342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
changing Soviet's mind
Ah, but it's always interesting to turn things over just to see if there's anything on the other side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,633,836 times
Reputation: 3910
Yup, yup. MattTx is right. However, I dare say that it's somewhat more likely that YOUR mind will be changed rather than my own.....even if by the slimmest of margins.

You see, I have the argument of the law needing to be right by necessity of its importance. A low speed limit is wrong: it alters the flow of traffic (although perhaps it's a moot point by the low level of traffic in Moron Town, I mean, Shavano Park....of course, perhaps that's WHY they have the low speed limits) and it generates disrespect for the law.

It is infinitely easier to respect the law when it is RIGHT & LOGICAL. That's just a fact, isn't it?

Yes, I am aware of traffic stops beings finding plenty of drugs during interdiction, felony warrants, etc. However, the VAST majority of people stopped don't have this stuff. They're innocent, especially so when driving at an appropriate rate of speed in a place with an artifically low speed limit. Everything is a waste of their time and if cited, money.

The possibility of catching felons is not an argument for randomly pulling people over. Speeding, whether actual speeding or "speeding" (due to an artificially low speed limit) is always used as probable cause to pull someone over. Isn't it disgusting that an innocent person driving 41 mph on Lockhill-Selma (an appropriate speed for the road & you know it) can be pulled over? What a joke.

I am also aware of traffic accidents in America being a cause of great injury & death. However, to pop the speed limit from 35 mph to 40 mph on Lockhill-Selma so it will be appropriate will result in a smoother flow of traffic between the cars that are diligently following the speed limit, no matter how inappropriate it is & those cars that are driving and paying attention to the road at a speed comfortable for them. Of course, the low level of traffic on this road makes it moot, which also guarantees that few enough will complain about it to maintain Punk Town's....I mean, Shavano Park's, cash cow. Notice that they maintain the fine schedule lower than many other towns so that people are more likely to pay rather than fight? It's a scam: not about safety, not about anything other than adding to the coffers, no matter how lightly at a time. It's pathetic & you know it.

Why am I so passionate about this? Because it is WRONG, that's why. Plain & simple. Notice I don't complain about many other roads? Granted, it may be because I don't know about them. But I'm sure they're out there & if I ever find one, I WILL bring it to attention as I have brought this pathetic municipality to attention.

Improper speed limits, whether too low or too high (Wurzbach Parkway) are wrong, plain & simple. I'm just warning everybody & letting them know of the truth, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM
 
1,007 posts, read 1,211,949 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Yup, yup. MattTx is right. However, I dare say that it's somewhat more likely that YOUR mind will be changed rather than my own.....even if by the slimmest of margins.

You see, I have the argument of the law needing to be right by necessity of its importance. A low speed limit is wrong: it alters the flow of traffic (although perhaps it's a moot point by the low level of traffic in Moron Town, I mean, Shavano Park....of course, perhaps that's WHY they have the low speed limits) and it generates disrespect for the law.

It is infinitely easier to respect the law when it is RIGHT & LOGICAL. That's just a fact, isn't it?

Yes, I am aware of traffic stops beings finding plenty of drugs during interdiction, felony warrants, etc. However, the VAST majority of people stopped don't have this stuff. They're innocent, especially so when driving at an appropriate rate of speed in a place with an artifically low speed limit. Everything is a waste of their time and if cited, money.

The possibility of catching felons is not an argument for randomly pulling people over. Speeding, whether actual speeding or "speeding" (due to an artificially low speed limit) is always used as probable cause to pull someone over. Isn't it disgusting that an innocent person driving 41 mph on Lockhill-Selma (an appropriate speed for the road & you know it) can be pulled over? What a joke.

I am also aware of traffic accidents in America being a cause of great injury & death. However, to pop the speed limit from 35 mph to 40 mph on Lockhill-Selma so it will be appropriate will result in a smoother flow of traffic between the cars that are diligently following the speed limit, no matter how inappropriate it is & those cars that are driving and paying attention to the road at a speed comfortable for them. Of course, the low level of traffic on this road makes it moot, which also guarantees that few enough will complain about it to maintain Punk Town's....I mean, Shavano Park's, cash cow. Notice that they maintain the fine schedule lower than many other towns so that people are more likely to pay rather than fight? It's a scam: not about safety, not about anything other than adding to the coffers, no matter how lightly at a time. It's pathetic & you know it.

Why am I so passionate about this? Because it is WRONG, that's why. Plain & simple. Notice I don't complain about many other roads? Granted, it may be because I don't know about them. But I'm sure they're out there & if I ever find one, I WILL bring it to attention as I have brought this pathetic municipality to attention.

Improper speed limits, whether too low or too high (Wurzbach Parkway) are wrong, plain & simple. I'm just warning everybody & letting them know of the truth, that's all.
You are not innocent if you broke the law.

And again, you are convinced you are right and every other possibility is wrong. Until you get past that and realize that more people actually see it another way, all you have is your anger and a lack of understanding why.

Good luck with that. You are very long on passion but you seriously lack an understanding of this issue. There is more to it than "how you feel about it" and you cant see that. Even if you are on the right track or even right to a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top