Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,805 times

Advertisements

[mod] This post discussing traffic enforcement in Shavano Park and about 20 posts below it were moved into this new thread from another thread about relocating to Shavano Park. It was useful information, but not to the OP of that thread. [/mod note]

OP, if you are going to drive through Shavano Park proper, however, always, always try to do 5 mph under the speed limit, whether you're in your daily driver or your Vette. If they're incompetent enough to have inappropriate speed limits, I have no doubt that they're incompetent enough to lie about the speed that someone was driving. The edges of the city limits are short enough from each other that driving very slowly really won't affect you time-wise. I always take no chances with those incompetent punks. I strongly suggest everyone else do the same to starve them of revenue. Unfortunately, the inappropriateness of the speed limit all but guarantees that won't happen, since newbies will always be driving through there.

I shake my head at this grotesque miscarriage of justice in what is supposed to be AMERICA. So sad.

Last edited by Bo; 05-23-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
But that's not to say that you will be unable to find one with a qualified realtor. Do your own research on realtor.com, as well.

OP, if you are going to drive through Shavano Park proper, however, always, always try to do 5 mph under the speed limit, whether you're in your daily driver or your Vette. If they're incompetent enough to have inappropriate speed limits, I have no doubt that they're incompetent enough to lie about the speed that someone was driving. The edges of the city limits are short enough from each other that driving very slowly really won't affect you time-wise. I always take no chances with those incompetent punks. I strongly suggest everyone else do the same to starve them of revenue. Unfortunately, the inappropriateness of the speed limit all but guarantees that won't happen, since newbies will always be driving through there.

I shake my head at this grotesque miscarriage of justice in what is supposed to be AMERICA. So sad.
My family has been driving in/around Shavano Park (at the speed limit nonetheless) since the late 80s and no one has gotten a ticket. Go the required 35 and you won't get a ticket. People are just complaining. There are plenty of other areas of the city that do this (Olmos Park, Castle Hills, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights maybe). I'm more afraid of Leon Valley to be truthful.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
My family has been driving in/around Shavano Park (at the speed limit nonetheless) since the late 80s and no one has gotten a ticket. Go the required 35 and you won't get a ticket. People are just complaining. There are plenty of other areas of the city that do this (Olmos Park, Castle Hills, Leon Valley, Alamo Heights maybe). I'm more afraid of Leon Valley to be truthful.

Well, lucky you. Good to hear those pathetic punks are (seemingly) honest in your family's case. Let's hope they do the same to EVERYONE else.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Well, lucky you. Good to hear those pathetic punks are (seemingly) honest in your family's case. Let's hope they do the same to EVERYONE else.
Excuse me - but isn't that a bit "over the top", even for you? Calling all LEO's of a given municipality "punks" is uncalled for IMO.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Excuse me - but isn't that a bit "over the top", even for you? Calling all LEO's of a given municipality "punks" is uncalled for IMO.
Yes, it would be over the top....if they weren't guilty of doing things that are wrong. Pulling over HedgehogMom (sp?) all the time, pulling over people who aren't white (although that story may have been blown out of proportion, I'll never know) and enforcing inappropriate speed limits.

It's pretty simple. Sure, they protect the residents of S.P. (they have a registration on the website where they'll patrol your house if you go on vacation) but that doesn't give them an excuse to be predators on other people.

Really simple solution: don't live and travel in S.P. They're punks & you just don't want to deal with them.

This is getting off-topic now, so let's go back to finding Z06 a great place to live. Emphasis on GREAT.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
So....you're repeating rumor as fact, and somehow that's all right? A posted speed limit is a posted speed limit - it's not up to YOU to determine if it's somehow "appropriate". I travel through Shavano Park routinely - and if you don't speed, you don't have problems. One of my friends lives there - he's definitely not white, and yet he's not having any issues. Mayhap there's more to a story than we know?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So....you're repeating rumor as fact, and somehow that's all right? A posted speed limit is a posted speed limit - it's not up to YOU to determine if it's somehow "appropriate". I travel through Shavano Park routinely - and if you don't speed, you don't have problems. One of my friends lives there - he's definitely not white, and yet he's not having any issues. Mayhap there's more to a story than we know?
True, there may be more to a story than anyone knows. A posted speed limit is a posted speed limit, obviously, but that doesn't mean that it is right.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
You say things like "over the top". But be aware of this: if a place has appropriate speed limits, doesn't run speed traps and doesn't lie in their interaction with the public, I'd have no reason to complain, would I?

Notice that I don't complain about San Antonio speed limits or many other places? It's because they're doing things right, maybe not perfectly right, but a darn sight better than SPPD.

People like myself don't complain to complain or because we got "nabbed". We complain because there is a legitimate complaint and it is wrong that it's merely written off. I am a firm believer in right and wrong and what is going on in certain circles is absolutely WRONG.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 AM

431 posts, read 765,851 times
the irony

Shavano Park Police Stops Criticized - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/27968048/detail.html - broken link)

Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
the irony

Shavano Park Police Stops Criticized - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/27968048/detail.html - broken link)
Wow. WOW. Now, here's my analysis on this story:

I think the way the mayor said "Anyone should be able to come to Shavano Park, and we invite everyone to come look at our beautiful city." is just beyond pathetic. The city's not beautiful in the least, it is predatory and primarily residential, a bedroom community. Nothing to do there. Absolutely pathetic.

I applaud the 180-second figure, especially if it's accurate, which I have no doubt it is: the commute distances are so short and it is definitely possible to get somewhere in town that quickly with flashing lights.

The news article listed the "37% were warnings" figure as evidence of bogus stops. I'm not sure what to think about that. Either Shavano Park is actually fishing for violations and found nothing yet gave a warning (LMAO! Why would you get a warning for NOTHING?! ) or they found violations but decided to take it easy on the "perp", which goes against their reputation as pathetic revenue generators. That would be quite the revelation.

For Z06Girly, I'd tell her that Shavano Park is a good place to live with a family or by yourself, but if you ever have guests, make sure to warn them well in advance to keep their car in SPOTLESS condition (and try to drive the most expensive car they have, not the cheapest car, if possible) and to make sure they drive at the speed limit or less. Otherwise, your guests may strongly dislike you that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio