U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 PM

3,970 posts, read 4,308,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Lots of pots meeting the kettle, is all.
...and I DO understand to a degree. Folks out there feel strongly about a lot of things, and had you ever told me I'd even consider doin' this to a cat, I'd have laughed in your face. Funny thing is, she's a calico - with their typical 'tude, so she pretty much ignores me until she wants a treat, at which time she jumps on my desk and meows until I give her some. May not be able to find anything else on this desk, but I DO know where I keep her treats! She was badly abused when we got her, and it's taken me 5 years to get her to where she'll even tolerate me - but she's my buddy....so yeah - I don't fault the folks jumpin' on me - just wish they'd at least try to be a bit more helpful, because NO one else is gettin' this kitty - she's already got a home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 02:12 PM

418 posts, read 393,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This thread has gotten ridiculous with the "morality police". People...he didn't ask what the best method was for hitting his cat with a frying pan. He asked about a widely used and accepted practice. One that MOST vets say doesn't hurt or injure the cat. It's a minor procedure and the cat will be fine.
No "morality police" on my part... simply an expression of my personal opinion without judgment to the OP.

Controversial issue for sure. There are many places around the world where declawing has been declared illegal.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:16 PM

1,814 posts, read 747,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This thread has gotten ridiculous with the "morality police". People...he didn't ask what the best method was for hitting his cat with a frying pan. He asked about a widely used and accepted practice. One that MOST vets say doesn't hurt or injure the cat. It's a minor procedure and the cat will be fine.
citationplease.jpg

i do not believe this is a widely accepted practice, otherwise every vet in SA would do it. that is not the case.

i know MANY vets in SA who wont declaw due to it being cruel.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,552,751 times
It's not even legal in several COUNTRIES Countries where declawing cats is illegal or inhumane. So how is it acceptable in most places?
and humane? it's the equivalent of ripping your fingers off at the knuckle. I personally wish I could do that to a lot of people, but I can't unfortunately. I absolutely won't do it to an animal and yes, I have lost some furniture to some cats before. However, it was MY fault and I invited them into my house. Sometimes we make mistakes, but we also have to live up to them. I know that's not really in vogue these days, though..

Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 PM

I don't think I asked if it was legal, or even your thoughts on it.....but thanks for playing!

Can't wait to ask the next question!!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:00 PM

418 posts, read 393,193 times
Sorry, it is a public forum... you will get that.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Sorry, it is a public forum... you will get that.
<shrug> Yep. It's just amazing how many will raise hob w/this....yet think nothing of letting a neighbors child wander the streets.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM

1,814 posts, read 747,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
<shrug> Yep. It's just amazing how many will raise hob w/this....yet think nothing of letting a neighbors child wander the streets.
OT im sure, but when i was younger, i wandered the streets, playing with my friends...

got hurt in neighbors yards also, parents never thought about suing!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM

558 posts, read 689,117 times
To answer your original question....call your local vet and ask for pricing. Asking a forum was only going to open the floor up for debate. Now that you've gotten it, you're getting defensive.

Whatever you choose, I hope you'll research it thoroughly so that you have given all options a thought.

In the meantime get some catnip and rub it between your hands to bust it up and sprinkle/rub this over the scratching posts/pads...my Dad had to do this to help encourage his cat to use the scratching post instead of sneaking in the bathroom and destroying the toilet tissue and curtains.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,301,867 times
I see nothing wrong with the declaw method only as last resort to keeping a cat in an good home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio