U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 PM

57 posts, read 162,346 times

Advertisements

Look into good cat behaviorists...Dog & Cat Behaviorist - Dog Training|Boston, MA|Alana Stevenson
Declawing is the same as chopping off the first knuckle of each finer on your hand. Complications can be grotesque. It is abhorrently painful and you might end up with severe litter box issues. Get help first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,233,689 times
TexasRedNeck....

My neighbor has two of her cats declawed. When she adopted them, the previous owners had abused them so much that the vet who had them felt it was best to declaw them. I do not know who this vet is or how much it costs but I will ask. I will say though they look like miserable cats who do nothing but eat all day and channel surf all the Animal Shows they can find if their owner isn't home.

I know its hard to have a cat as Kitty X (and Toddler X as well) has ruined an Ethan Allen sofa I upholstered last year for a fat chunk of change (boy what a freaking waste of money that was) but I just can't get her declawed. How else is she suppose to kill scorpions? Although she did a horrible job last year she is doing great this year.

I truly wish you the best, I really do! And you know I mean it!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,156 times
First, please try the soft claws before the kitty loses his fingernails!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,249 times
OP --- We had 2 cats and neither was declawed... 1 was a Ragdoll and pretty darn docile, unless a scorpion was in the house... The other was one we adopted from the Humane Society at 8 weeks...

I was immediately going to get the adopted kitty declawed until I researched it... That is when I tried the Soft Paws first... They really worked well and for whatever reason after a while the cat decided to stop trying to rip up the furniture and stuck with only her post...

While we didn't declaw, I am not opposed to it, nor do I judge people who do it nor do I condemn vets who practice it... My husbands aunt had cats all the years I knew her and they were all declawed, they were fine, were not in pain, jumped on and off furniture with the greatest of ease...

Seems like the laser method would be best...

On a side note... Be lucky you only asked about declawing a cat... I used to belong to a pregnancy forum and gosh forbid anyone brought up circumcision... Oy Vey...

Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Okay....I'm at my wits end. We have a cat that we love, but she's now destroyed over $4k worth of furnishings. It's either declaw or decat. Any idea as to what kind of money we should be looking at? Want to do the front claws only - she's an inside cat, never goes outside - but on the off chance that she got out, I'd want her to have SOME means to defend herself!

Thanks!!
I've also heard it's in the 300ish neighborhood. The wife's cat came that way, thankfully. You can't tell until she tries to shred the couch or something, but nothing happens. She runs/jumps/sleeps/catches things/rolls around/ignores people just like any other cat does. We haven't had a problem with the back ones hurting anyone or anything.

An ex was all over the soft paws thing, but they never worked. They came off easily, and she pretty much had to wear welding gloves while trying to put the things on because she'd get scratched and bitten so much. Total waste of time. Luckily for her she just had her parent's second-hand '70s furniture.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:24 PM

26 posts, read 38,987 times
Quote:
Okay....I'm at my wits end. We have a cat that we love, but she's now destroyed over $4k worth of furnishings. It's either declaw or decat. Any idea as to what kind of money we should be looking at? Want to do the front claws only - she's an inside cat, never goes outside - but on the off chance that she got out, I'd want her to have SOME means to defend herself!
Imagine that after living with fully functional hands for several years of your adult life, one day you are taken to a hospital where the end joints of your fingers are all cut off, leaving you with fleshy stumps where your fingernails used to be.

That's what declawing is. Literally. Please don't declaw your cat, not only is it cruel, they have a tendency of going totally neurotic afterward, for good reason.

Look into Softpaws. Little plastic caps you glue onto their claws. Solves your problem without mutilating your cat, I use them to keep my hardwood furniture from being shredded and it works perfectly.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM

418 posts, read 687,371 times
SoftPaws work... but getting them installed is often another thing.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:29 PM

26 posts, read 38,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
SoftPaws work... but getting them installed is often another thing.
Rofl...the alternative is permanently mutiliating the cat and making them neurotic and hard to live with. A little struggle to get them on is a small price to pay, lol. (Make sure to bring a towel...and some neosporin.)

Old 05-28-2011, 02:36 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,835,478 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
Yes, this is a good solution. Nothing wrong with it. We have had two cats that we had to do this to in order to keep them from destroying our furniture. Putting out alternative clawing posts was not effective. Both lived long, happy and healthy lives with the claws removed from their front paws. Neither had any problems related to the declawing. Our most recent cat is now 22 years old and still healthy and doing well. Our vet says that makes her something like 95-100 years old in human years.

Sorry I can't tell you what it cost, it was too long ago.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,611 times
Quote:
People...he didn't ask what the best method was for hitting his cat with a frying pan.
Or the best way to put his cat on a hot tin roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio