U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM

487 posts, read 978,446 times

Advertisements

I back my car in because I have a fairly slanted driveway. It is much easier to get in and out of the car if the front is facing downhill. (I'm old!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,077,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I prefer to have my car on my property where I can keep an eye on it. It's safer in the driveway than the street. I do understand how some people must use the street though. I would like to know why most people back their car in rather than just pull in? I see this so very often here? What's the deal?
I back it in if I have groceries or something to unload from the trunk -- closer to the door that way. Also try to back in because often -- especially on the weekend -- the kids are out playing in the neighborhood and riding their bikes up and down the street and it makes me nervous backing out and not having a full view of the road and sidewalk.

Now I know someone here will soon connect backing into their driveway with laziness... but those are my reasons.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,445,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
Also try to back in because often -- especially on the weekend -- the kids are out playing in the neighborhood and riding their bikes up and down the street and it makes me nervous backing out and not having a full view of the road and sidewalk.
I do the same because of that very reason. I also park facing out in parking lots because of general foot traffic and cars blazing thru the parking lot at 40 mph!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Wow. Way to judge. At least on our street (we don't have an hoa...) there are a number of families with several teenagers and young adults that live in a single house...and a lifetime of junk. It's not classless and lazy. It's making room for the number of people that live in the house. We have three people and a 3 car garage full of stuff. One parking spot is taken up with a palm tree. We fit the cars in the driveway most days, but on the weekends when my parents know I'll be in and out they will park one of the cars on the street so they don't have to move it. Across the street from us there is a family of 6 with three teenagers. Next door they have 3 young adult boys and parents (all have cars) and next door to the family of girls they have 3 young adults and then I believe the dad has two classic cars (in the garage). None of this is lazy nor is it ghetto. I'll DM you a photo of the google map.

Now, I do understand complaining if it's a main(ish) street. We are in the back of the nieghborhood so there isn't too much traffic so I don't feel bad if/when the cars re out. If we lived on the main street I would try my hardest to get as close to the sidewalk or be in the driveway. If a family, like the above mentioned families has several cars and has to park on the side of the street and lives on a main street they need to have the courtesy to stagger the cars so fellow drivers can get by. Or at least that's how I see it.
i have to agree. if you park in the street, youre ghetto as hell and lazy to boot!

/happens in my neigborhood also
//thanks to a few drunks though, enough cars have gotten thrashed that people are moving them into the driveways

Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,596,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i have to agree. if you park in the street, youre ghetto as hell and lazy to boot!

/happens in my neigborhood also
//thanks to a few drunks though, enough cars have gotten thrashed that people are moving them into the driveways
Wait what? Your response is confusing. Are you agreeing what I posted, being sarcastic with rd's post or what?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM

21 posts, read 25,367 times
LOL I wasn't trying to start a huge debate, just wondered what the heck was up with this. The majority of what I was talking about was the people that have driveways EMPTY and park 2 cars on the road.. It does make backing out very difficult, as we have to dodge 67 vehicles when leaving our driveway.. I never thought about the fact that a lot of driveways are slanted, and it may be rough on vehicles.. I just wanted some insight. Glad to hear it's not just me. And PS whoever said the "nicer" neighborhoods don't have this problem, that's simply untrue, but nice try

Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,183,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Wait what? Your response is confusing. Are you agreeing what I posted, being sarcastic with rd's post or what?
hehe sorry about that, i was agreeing with your post

Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM

82 posts, read 172,414 times
I'll admit to being guilty of this. Let me offer my perspective.

I'm a car enthusiast and keep our two "fun" cars in the garage. The daily beaters are usually in the driveway, but whenever I take a fun car out it means that I've got to move the beater to the street to get the fun car out of the garage.

If you drive by my house on a day when I take a "fun" car to work, you'll see my beater parked on the street, and nothing in my driveway.

What's wrong with having more cars than people?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM

288 posts, read 829,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning_towalk View Post
The subdivision that I am moving into (Provencia Villas off Prue and Springtime) does not allow you to park in the driveway. We have two cars and a one car garage, ergo one will be on the street. Not a fan of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do...
That is the weirdest HOA rule I have ever heard! The rule should be stated like "Do not park on your own property. We prefer you bottleneck the streets and leave your vehicles more susceptible to burglaries."

I CAN'T stand the habit of parking the street. Our first house was in a new NW side subdivision. We have an F-350 dually and a Jetta, and you better believe we got them both in the driveway. We couldn't use the garage because the Jetta couldn't squeeze out by the dually, but we dang sure didn't take up space on the street that we didn't own! Our neighbor at that time parked his car in front of our house every single day we lived there. It wasn't the side of our house where the small side yard leads to the gate, but he parked right in front of our house! It was the MOST annoying thing a neighbor could do!

And yes, some posters are throwing out generalizations, but danged if they aren't exactly what we witnessed in our subdivision. Multiple adults living in the same house, bbq'ing in the driveway, 4 or 5 cars in the street. AND GET THIS, they would then cone of a section of the street for their kids to play. Apparently grass isn't suitable for kids these days, and they couldn't share the bbq space with the kids. Ugh!!

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
I back my car in because I have a fairly slanted driveway. It is much easier to get in and out of the car if the front is facing downhill. (I'm old!)
I do the same. My car is low to the ground and much easier to get out if when it's pointed downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or