U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,014,413 times

Advertisements

I park in the street because I don't want oil/transmission fluid on my newly pressure washed driveway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM

177 posts, read 317,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
That is the weirdest HOA rule I have ever heard! The rule should be stated like "Do not park on your own property. We prefer you bottleneck the streets and leave your vehicles more susceptible to burglaries."

I CAN'T stand the habit of parking the street. Our first house was in a new NW side subdivision. We have an F-350 dually and a Jetta, and you better believe we got them both in the driveway. We couldn't use the garage because the Jetta couldn't squeeze out by the dually, but we dang sure didn't take up space on the street that we didn't own! Our neighbor at that time parked his car in front of our house every single day we lived there. It wasn't the side of our house where the small side yard leads to the gate, but he parked right in front of our house! It was the MOST annoying thing a neighbor could do!

And yes, some posters are throwing out generalizations, but danged if they aren't exactly what we witnessed in our subdivision. Multiple adults living in the same house, bbq'ing in the driveway, 4 or 5 cars in the street. AND GET THIS, they would then cone of a section of the street for their kids to play. Apparently grass isn't suitable for kids these days, and they couldn't share the bbq space with the kids. Ugh!!
You'll never get most people on here to see how rude and lazy it is, because it's "cultural" like so many things that are excused away in SA. To the people who don't want oil dripping on their driveway: Why do you think it's ok to let it drip on the street in front of my house? Our renters have complained twice on this issue already... having never experienced anything like it in Denver.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,169,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I park in the street because I don't want oil/transmission fluid on my newly pressure washed driveway
Maybe you need to get that fixed, then?

As an auto guy with a variety of very nice machines, I can tell you that it is not normal to leak fluids.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,246,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabart47 View Post
You'll never get most people on here to see how rude and lazy it is, because it's "cultural" like so many things that are excused away in SA.
I completely agree with you that SA gets away with way too much. We have a neighbor that parks his car in front of our house across the street (side street of another house) because they have “too many” cars that won’t fit on their drive way and in front of their house.

I see it as “We have too much crap in our garage and refuse to move anything out of the garage to store our vehicles.”

Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,351,670 times
If your vehicle leaks fluid spend 8 bucks on a Drip Pan at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. When it gets a little dirty wipe it off and throw the rag / paper towel in the trash. This is an easy solution to a spotted driveway or street. This is one thing that HOA's need to adopt.....While living in The Villages of Westcreek I suggested it to our HOA many times with good reason and they still frowned upon it. I was always told it would be considered 'Improper Storage" Damn....What looks worse a rectangular galvanized oil drip pan or oil spots on the driveway or street?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
All the excuses only bolster my initial case.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,596,618 times
Okay, so like I stated before our house is completely guilty of parking on the side of the street. Big Whoop. It wasn't that annoying until the past few weeks when new neighbors moved in across the street.

We live on a street shaped like a T and we're on the top of the T in the middle. The new neighbor lives across the street from the top of the tee and also have a corner lot. They have three cars. Two smallish cars and one Dodge Ram. They park the two small cars in the three car driveway and put the Ram on the side street in front of our house. They have lived here maybe 3 weeks...the Ram has moved maybe 5 times since they've been there. It is also parked right on the opposite side of the street as we park our car so it causes even more of a hassle for us because we of the belief that it is nice to at least stagger cars...but backing it up put it in front of cars in the driveway and the other way puts it in front of the mail box. Ayy dios mio! There is no HOA (obviously) so the car remaining here seems to be...well endless. Can't you put it on the other side? Please? /endrant

Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM

932 posts, read 1,748,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
What looks worse a rectangular galvanized oil drip pan or oil spots on the driveway or street?
I guarantee that what they were thinking is that it looks best for people to get their car fixed so that it doesn't leak.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:24 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
I'll never undertand that logic. If I saw fluids leaking from my car, I'm going to freak and get it fixed ASAP. Who thinks "hmmm, leaky fluids.. I should get a pan for that or better yet, park in the street instead of my nice clean driveway"...

ghetto

Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,629,936 times
Being from NYC, I laugh at the people who complain about people parking on the street here in Texas.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or