Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:33 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
sorry but youre just flat wrong. they risk their lives so you can sleep comfortably at night. youre damn right they better devote more time and resources to capturing the douchebags who committed this foul act.
I don't sleep that comfortable. My neighborhood has a sharp spike in crime and break-ins the past year. I don't trust the police alone to prevent my house from being targeted. Many neighbors are complaining about slow response times to lack of interest in investigating past break-ins. One woman a few blocks down had to shoot a burglar before the police even arrived. If we have to resort to defending our property ourselves and only hope the police show up on time then what are we paying our tax dollars for?

I can only hope they devote time should the situation arise when I do need their help.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If we have to resort to defending our property ourselves and only hope the police show up on time then what are we paying our tax dollars for?
Well, apparently not enough tax money is going to the police, as they are undermanned and underfunded. So let's raise taxes and get a force that is properly equipped to cover a population the size of the city!

Wait, then people will scream that it's at the expense of education; so we'll have to raise taxes to put into our schools. I have no problems with that, because I consider education to be one of the best investments any society can make.

But then people will want better roads, so we'll have to raise taxes to increase revenue to build them.

Then we'll have people complaining about all the taxes. You can't win.

Lastly, this is a very inappropriate discussion for this thread, if anything it belongs in the one on trusting the SAPD.

This thread is about a valiant officer who lost his life in the line of duty. I can't believe people would be so petty and disrespectful as to complain about such issues when this man, who served the public for 25 years, lost his life. I am sure his wife (who is also an officer) and his kids would be grateful to know people cared so much!

Again, I hope the killers of Sgt Kenneth Vann are brought to justice swiftly. There's a special place in Hell reserved for them, I hope they enjoy it!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, apparently not enough tax money is going to the police, as they are undermanned and underfunded. So let's raise taxes and get a force that is properly equipped to cover a population the size of the city!

Wait, then people will scream that it's at the expense of education; so we'll have to raise taxes to put into our schools. I have no problems with that, because I consider education to be one of the best investments any society can make.

But then people will want better roads, so we'll have to raise taxes to increase revenue to build them.

Lastly, this is a very inappropriate discussion for this thread, if anything it belongs in the one on trusting the SAPD.

This thread is about a valiant officer who lost his life in the line of duty. I can't believe people would be so petty and disrespectful as to complain about such issues when this man, who served the public for 25 years, lost his life. I am sure his wife (who is also an officer) and his kids would be grateful to know people cared so much!

Again, I hope the killers of Sgt Kenneth Vann are brought to justice swiftly. There's a special place in Hell reserved for them, I hope they enjoy it!
I agree. Belongs in the other thread. I was just responding to DexterCat.

As for disrespect, I would be careful with that one. You disrespected the majority of the voters in your poll by implying they were misinformed after the results.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,989,170 times
Quote:

It's sad that this officer died, but we have to acknowledge that maybe he did something that led to his death. Pulling over the wrong guy, was into drug dealing, whatever. Pure speculation on my (and others') part(s).

Or it could have been completely random, a gang initiation or something. This is one reason that officers must not make speed traps with artificially low speed limits for the purpose of revenue generation: unfairness like that may set the wrong person having a bad day off.

Of course, then they'll say that if they were that volatile, they'd be dangerous to others anyways and would need to be taken off the streets, but I'm not so sure about that.

It's a difficult situation, to be sure. We'll see where it goes.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
All of you that don't trust cops, etc.....

Who do you call in an emergency?

Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 PM

796 posts, read 3,039,132 times
Quote:

I totally agree. Keep your opinions about who, what, where, and why LEO's or Civilians should be getting more priority on a case, etc on a different thread. My daughter is good friends with one of Officer Vann's son. She and another friend (and I am sure others) have been to his house yesterday and today trying to give him and his family peace and comfort.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:30 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Sorry, it's a public forum. As long as the TOS haven't been broken, it's fair game. I'm sorry about the officer, I'm sorry for his family, but honestly, why even have these threads if there are specific rules that *you* think we should abide by? When you have your own forum, then make your own rules. Otherwise, people are free to post their opinions, and they will.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Sorry, it's a public forum. As long as the TOS haven't been broken, it's fair game. I'm sorry about the officer, I'm sorry for his family, but honestly, why even have these threads if there are specific rules that *you* think we should abide by? When you have your own forum, then make your own rules. Otherwise, people are free to post their opinions, and they will.
And the fact that family members of the deceased might read same mean nothing to you, eh?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
This is NOT the obituary column. This is NOT the funeral home's site for leaving respectful comments about the deceased. It is a public opinion forum and everyone has the right to say what they want provided it is within the TOS. Just because you're a redneck with a gun does not mean everyone is going to obey you, so get over it. Or, git over it, if you prefer.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 AM

No, it's called "respect". Means more in some places than others, I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio