Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:33 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am with sapphire on this one.

Anyone (LEO or not) that is a victim of this terrible crime deserves the same amount of time and effort to capture the idiots.

It isn't the old west anymore. Crooks didn't even have semi-automatic guns then. Why does anyone need a semi-automatic weapon? The fact they exist just gives others a reason to buy them to protect themselves from wrong people owning the same type of weapon.

Bottom line: this horrible murder was committed using semi-automatic weapons. The poor guy might have had a chance to react and defend himself if they were shooting with less aggressive weapons.
Two things.

1. A semi-automatic gun is anything that's not a shotgun, rifle or revolver. Basically, any pistol with a clip. They didn't say it was a fully automatic weapon. Very different.

2. While they definitely should (and do) pursue every murder, a murder of an LEO needs to be dealt with even more swiftly and harshly than most. Not out of disrespect for the general public, but because once we have officers being gunned down and criminals know they don't treat it any different than another, we have a serious problem on our hands and end up like Mexico, where the criminals will do what they want, when they want.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,649,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Two things.

2. While they definitely should (and do) pursue every murder, a murder of an LEO needs to be dealt with even more swiftly and harshly than most. Not out of disrespect for the general public, but because once we have officers being gunned down and criminals know they don't treat it any different than another, we have a serious problem on our hands and end up like Mexico, where the criminals will do what they want, when they want.
Good post. I agree. The last thing we want is for this kind of thing to catch on.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
And I think that Joe Blow, ambushed while sitting at a red light, deserves to have every cop swiftly demanding justice, too. I understand the LE thing, but all senseless murders need to be dealt with just as quickly and just as harshly.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:43 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
And I think that Joe Blow, ambushed while sitting at a red light, deserves to have every cop swiftly demanding justice, too. I understand the LE thing, but all senseless murders need to be dealt with just as quickly and just as harshly.
Not really....it seems to me that you're so eager to find fault with LEO's that nothing done in regards to them is right. It would be the same as a teacher being attacked by a student in school - I want focus on bringing the student to justice swiftly, lest other students think they could get away with the same thing.

As with anything else, there ARE degrees of criminality that must be considered.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM

827 posts, read 1,666,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I am with sapphire on this one.

Anyone (LEO or not) that is a victim of this terrible crime deserves the same amount of time and effort to capture the idiots.

It isn't the old west anymore. Crooks didn't even have semi-automatic guns then. Why does anyone need a semi-automatic weapon? The fact they exist just gives others a reason to buy them to protect themselves from wrong people owning the same type of weapon.

Bottom line: this horrible murder was committed using semi-automatic weapons. The poor guy might have had a chance to react and defend himself if they were shooting with less aggressive weapons.
I'll tell you what get hit with a round from a revolver and see how you feel afterward I was hit with a round from a semiauto weapon and I was in the hospital for about 3 months recovering [However the guy who shot me was buried 3 days after he tried to kill me. I survived he didn't. I used a revolver]
Just because the lamebrain media in this country screams black EVIL assault weapon crap don't believe it. Did you know EVERY weapon designed was once a an assault weapon used for war? Right down to the single shot firearm. the revolver, the lever,bolt action rifle and so on. I have some semiauto weapons and I enjoy shooting them and YES if needed they are for mine and my families protection. Did you know more people die in auto accidents then gunshot wounds from all types of weapons combined? Should we do away with automobiles and trucks? If you don't like firearms then step back I'm sure there is someone who is willing to buy them in your stead.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:02 PM

827 posts, read 1,666,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Actually ANY homicide is investigated in the same manner. as fast as possible. The reason MOST LEO murders are solved is because the officer involved may have radioed in a plate number or so or written down certain info.

ALSO if ANYONE is brave[or stupid] enought to outright kill a person who is trained and armed like a LEO then EVERYONE is in more danger from this animal then anyone else

Old 05-28-2011, 03:16 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Boxcar Willie: I am sorry you were in that situation. You are very fortunate to be alive.

Now....

I forget I am in Texas sometimes. Make any hint towards gun control and regulation and I get flamed for it. No surprise there.

If it makes you feel more of a man to own guns then so be it.

I have guns but I am just missing the itching fingers to use them.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,510 times
Default Yes,

Cop Killers need to be hung out to dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Look.....it's perspective. When someone intentionally targets a LEO, they NEED to be found and taken off the street - otherwise, it becomes worse. That's a long-standing message that's been understood since the days of the old west - and if you have a problem with that, then you need to ask yourself why someone intentionally targeting those charged with the task of protecting us would do such a thing - and what will they do next.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
This is not about gun control or how the police investigate murders; it is about the blatant killing of a sworn deputy and the effort to bring his killers to justice!

May Sgt Vann rest in peace, and that his family find solace in the fact that most of the public were very grateful for his service and sacrifice.

And there's a special place in hell for his killers. I hope they find out about it real soon...

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
Revolvers can be shot pretty fast, they just don't hold as many bullets. They can be reloaded pretty quickly though with a speedloader.

Condolences to the family. The Texas government has not only made special penalties for LEOs and government officials, but also for any kind of public servant-type position such as bus drivers and security officers. It's really just because these people are more prone to be attacked just because of their occupation. Stronger penalties are there to act as a stronger deterrent. As far as investigative effort, everyone deserves the same attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio