Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Culebra Rd seems to attract outfits panhandling for money doesn't it?

Culebra and Grissom is another spot.

DeZavala & 10

281 & 1604
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I used to see panhandlers all the time at 281 and Nakoma; I'm not sure if that's still the case. There are now panhandlers at Broadway and 410. Some of them walk out or roll out in a wheelchair into the street as you're pulling up as if they have no fear of being ran over. It makes me nervous. I think the church fundraisers were worse though with them walking between the cars when there was a red light and not immediately moving out the way when the light turned green.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I find it interesting that so many are being judgmental over this. Yes there are some scams out there, but in every aspect of life there are people scamming the system. There are also some legitimate causes and obviously standing out on the corner collecting donations is a proven method of obtaining funds for your organization or there wouldnt be so many doing it.

There were 4 firefighters working the corners of Tezel and Mainland last Saturday. I dont hear a peep about them. They are a government funded entity yet I dont hear anyone screaming "let the government that funds them give them more money".

Personally I'd rather they do it this way than to try to shove a freakin chocolate bar down my throat every time I turn around or some parent peddling their kid's order form in front of me every other day.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:04 AM

218 posts, read 501,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davy223 View Post
It certainly is and that is a shame. That area had so much potential but all the new and *cheap* homes built around there attracted some shady people and well, as there goes(went) the neighborhood..
Thanks for calling 1604 and Culebra the "ghetto". Show me all these new cheap homes. All the new homes are in Alamo Ranch and most are selling for $200K+. I guess cheap is relative if you live in a $500K house.

Go to the poorer areas of town and tell me how many panhandlers you see.

On topic, I never give money and I would never let my daughter stand on the street asking for contributions. If her coach suggested it I would tell him what a bad idea it is.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
There were 4 firefighters working the corners of Tezel and Mainland last Saturday. I dont hear a peep about them. They are a government funded entity yet I dont hear anyone screaming "let the government that funds them give them more money".
That would have been for the Muscular Dystophy Association. The local media put out the word that you may see firefighters collecting donations at some street corners. That is an annual event, and the money is not for the firefighters.

I remember years ago one of the local TV news outlets did a story on these streetcorner solicitors that claim to be raising money for some charity or non-profit organiztion. They were saying it is not uncommon for the person actually out in the street collecting the money, to be entitled to keep a significant percentage of the funds they collect, per agreement with the organiztion they are raising the funds for.

But how do you know the charity is legitimate? It was suggested that instead of giving money on the spot, ask instead for an address where contributions can be mailed. Any legitimate organization should have a mailing address established, where such contributions can be received, it was stated. If the solicitor cannot provide such information, that raises a red flag, they said. If they'll take your money today, they should be willing and able to take it at a later date.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That would have been for the Muscular Dystophy Association. The local media put out the word that you may see firefighters collecting donations at some street corners. That is an annual event, and the money is not for the firefighters.
Exactly, it is well advertised that the fire department is collecting money for the MDA; it is about the only time I will give money at intersections.

[/quote]But how do you know the charity is legitimate? It was suggested that instead of giving money on the spot, ask instead for an address where contributions can be mailed. Any legitimate organization should have a mailing address established, where such contributions can be received, it was stated. If the solicitor cannot provide such information, that raises a red flag, they said. If they'll take your money today, they should be willing and able to take it at a later date.[/quote]

Great points, and honestly I question whether any school would sanction putting its students in such a dangerous situation to ask for money. If anything, it sets a bad precedence in expecting others to pay for their trip. What ever happened to the concept of earning such rewards?

And San Antonio City Code Sect. 19-8 makes it illegal to solicit anyone in a vehicle without a specific permit, and has specific requirements for anyone 17 years of age or older...

Quote:
(e) Notwithstanding the other provisions of section 19-8 or any other provision in the City Code, a person seventeen (17) years of age or older may solicit employment, business or charitable contributions while standing on a traffic median, shoulder, improved shoulder, sidewalk, or the improved portion of the roadway from occupants of any vehicle on a roadway provided said person wears a florescent orange visibility vest, does not impede traffic, enters or remains in a roadway only while the controlling traffic signal prohibits vehicle movement, and has obtained a permit to do so, or who is a member of an organization which has obtained a permit to do so, from the chief of police.
You may and should ask to see a copy of the permit prior to giving any money.

In Atlanta they have gone as far as to install modified parking meters to encourage people to donate without giving money directly to the panhandlers. Attached is a picture of one. May SA needs to try that route...

Cheers! M2
Attached Thumbnails
donations at intersections-img_5369-copy.jpg  

Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Basically the point I was trying to make is that collecting donations at the street corner is a proven method and if you are unsure if they are legit check them out. If they are legit, I dont see how one can say it is ok for one entity to do it and not another.

Heck I wish we could have done that back when I was a kid rather than going door to door.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:31 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We just passed through Culebra and 1604, and instead of the usual "homeless" person out there, today there is a high school softball team soliciting donations for their trip to Nationals. Sorry, I think it is wrong for parents to do this. Our friends' daughter was raising money for her team.....selling brisket for $40, from the safety of her home.
Two words = Child labor
and I won't support that.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We just passed through Culebra and 1604, and instead of the usual "homeless" person out there, today there is a high school softball team soliciting donations for their trip to Nationals. Sorry, I think it is wrong for parents to do this. Our friends' daughter was raising money for her team.....selling brisket for $40, from the safety of her home. We happily bought one, but I'm not giving the roadside beggars anything. Yes, the kids need support, but there are about 20 of them out there today, and God forbid someone hits one of them.
did she have a food license? if not, shame on her for not paying for a license to do so. how do we know everything was sanitized properly? was she wearing gloves?

/see what im getting at?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just questioned this yesterday! Every weekend, motorists are swarmed by these people. Firemen, religious groups, etc. Intersections should not be a place where you should expect to be harassed.
why do you hate firemen and the religious? i donate to both when i see them out. why wouldnt i? not only am i religious, but im smart enough to know that you dont bite the hand that comes to put out the flames when your house burns down. firemen need more support because they risk their lives to save yours when your house is on fire

give them a break, its not like theyre trying to scam you or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio