Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
Whats with the "great music and show" at Cornerstone? I heard that it was very traditional hymnal worship.... am I mistaken?
Great music doesn't mean it isn't traditional. Cornerstone puts on a very high class service. Great music, professional musicians and obviously well rehersed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Quote:
The Christian belief is not to judge others
Tell that to John Hagee, who is loud and proud about his hatred of Muslims, Arabs, Jews who aren't fervent Zionists, feminists, Catholics, anyone more liberal than Strom Thurmond, and anyone else who gets in his way.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 PM

28 posts, read 71,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
Tell that to John Hagee, who is loud and proud about his hatred of Muslims, Arabs, Jews who aren't fervent Zionists, feminists, Catholics, anyone more liberal than Strom Thurmond, and anyone else who gets in his way.
My husband and I did our pre-wedding counciling through cornerstone almost 20 years ago. It was very important for my in-laws that hubby and I to be married in their church.

The moment the associate pastor told me that I was not a true christian, and my church is only considered a membership church....I was done!

Plus my parents are converted catholics. And I always have to hear from my in-laws that my parents are not true christians as they are catholics!

But....to be fair to Cornerstone....I do attend their Christmas Pagent every year....in-laws are both choir members. And the show is really awesome and moving!

But I would still never agree with nor join Cornerstone! I do like nor will I ever follow a hypocrit!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNurse View Post
My husband and I did our pre-wedding counciling through cornerstone almost 20 years ago. It was very important for my in-laws that hubby and I to be married in their church.

The moment the associate pastor told me that I was not a true christian, and my church is only considered a membership church....I was done!

Plus my parents are converted catholics. And I always have to hear from my in-laws that my parents are not true christians as they are catholics!

But....to be fair to Cornerstone....I do attend their Christmas Pagent every year....in-laws are both choir members. And the show is really awesome and moving!

But I would still never agree with nor join Cornerstone! I do like nor will I ever follow a hypocrit!
Like I have said...they have wonderful music and seasonal performances. It is one of their best attributes. It is too bad the pastor of the Church isn't above reproach.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:18 AM

48 posts, read 267,511 times
I've always wondered how many people attending Cornerstone and tithing to Mr. Hagee--have any idea what his agenda is? Joel Osteen is merely a thieving huckster--Hagee is a dangerous Zionist and wants all out war with Iran. He truly believes his Armageddon prophesy and the money he collects from putting on all those "good shows" at Cornerstone goes to lobby Congress to advance his cause, which is, very simply, full scale war against the Muslim world so that the chosen Christian Zionists will realize their prophecy. I challenge members of his congregation to really pay attention to what he writes and says, and then discover how much political power he has within the pro Israel lobby.

The Hagees and the Osteens and all the others understand that Americans consume faith like they consume flat screen tvs and happy meals--and are banking, literally, on the likelihood that as long as we 'feel good' from all that prayer, we won't think critically or hold our leaders accountable.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:06 AM

797 posts, read 2,991,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Great music doesn't mean it isn't traditional. Cornerstone puts on a very high class service. Great music, professional musicians and obviously well rehersed.
I'm still not clear on what "style" of worship I would see at Cornerstone. Is it traditional hymns with little to no instruments as I have heard or not?

This thread has been very interesting to read... we have not attended Cornerstone for ourselves for a several of reasons, distance and size being the main reasons, however the "style" of the worship also plays into it. We're not seeking a church that offers a "great show" however the "style" of worship is something we consider before attending a church.

Banker, I thank you for sharing what you know about Cornerstone and it's leaders. We have learned from our previous church and it's leaders that authenticity and humility are paramount in good leadership, and while it is not always to easy to know for sure... we do our best to use good discernment when evaluating a church body and it's leaders.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Quote:
Is it traditional hymns with little to no instruments as I have heard or not?
This sounds more like Max Lucado's Oak Hills Church, which came out of the Church of Christ tradition. C of C doesn't have music at its services - they have a capella singing.

If I remember correctly, Cornerstone has a huge choir and a band and does a mix of modern worship singing and hymns.

I don't have as big of a problem with Joel Osteen as I do with John Hagee. Osteen promotes self-improvement and personal growth in a Christian context, as opposed to pushing a grand religio-cultural-political agenda. Also, he does not draw a salary from the church, and the church books are apparently squeaky clean. His personal wealth comes from his corporation that deals with his books and lecturing.

Have you looked into Community Bible Church? I believe they have a more modern style of worship, and I know someone who attends there and is happy there. Also, there is the Bandera Road Community Church - I went there in college for a paper I was writing on interdenominational worship, and they do a big show with a full rock band and very casual preaching style. For someone who was brought up in a very traditional Episcopalian church, it was quite the experience.

Last edited by Rockin' The TriCities; 08-21-2007 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
So hagee makes over $1 million dollars, is on his 2ND marriage. Yeah he is a man of god going straight to hell, but pity the suckers who give him money.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Anyone heard of John MacArthur? I think that's the real deal, imho. Hagee looks up to him.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 PM

28 posts, read 71,138 times
I have never heard of John MacArthur. I will need to do a search on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio