U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,974,263 times

Advertisements

Just got back from my first trip to Cornerstone Church at Stone Oak. Wow, what a good place. I used to go to the Guadalupe church in Helotes, but they always had no-shows and it was usually very hard to hear what the priests were saying. So, I stopped going to church. Amazingly, I got a phone call out of the blue the other day and it was a pastor needing help on his website. As a professional webdesigner, I donated my time and built him one for free and, interestingly, it was as if he knew exactly what I was going through (I asked God for help in showing me where to go during the previous week! Amazing how he comes through). He gave me a lead as to what church to go to and he told me about cornerstone in Stone Oak. While it was a 22 minute drive for me, I am proud to say that it was definitely worth it and I will be going back next Sunday. In all of my years of church going and catholic school attendance, I've never felt as inspired and good to be alive as I had after I left that church in Stone Oak. I immediately felt the people there practice what they preach!

To anyone who is looking for a place, I think you should try this one out. You won't regret it. I look forward to next Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 PM

409 posts, read 1,426,640 times
Yep! Awesome church! That's where we go! So glad you felt welcome, becuase you are!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:24 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,195,058 times
I would caution those that go to a church that pays its pastor $1,000,000 between his job as pastor of the church and president of GETV. Cornerstone has been listed as having one of the highest paid executives of a not for profit entity in the united states. He runs this as a business. There is no doubt that he puts on a good show, that the music is wonderful or even that some of the ministries benefit many people. But the heart of his organization is making money. Lots of it. The church is John Hagees church - and that isn't the way it should be. It should be Christ's church. I feel for the people that have given their money - often under great pressure - just to fund the dominion living lifestyle of their pastor.

There are many other churches - even large ones - that have a much more God honoring focus. Community Bible Church is one that comes to mind. As is Castle Hills First Baptist and Max Lucado's church - Oakhills Church (that David Robinson goes to). But better yet - find a smaller church that will allow you to get involved in ministry and not just sit on the pew, pay your money and be entertained.

I am sure there are many wonderful people that go to Cornerstone church - but I fear that many are deceived into giving to a corrupt man - who is on his second wife - that he started having a relationship while married to his first wife...most people don't know that. Yes - they have been married for a long time - but John Hagee is not "the husband of one wife" as the Bible requires pastors to be. He is a hypocrit that is money hungry.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:14 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,794 times
I would never attend Cornerstone or give them 1 cent, here is a "pastor" who is raking in the dough and suckers people to give him money. A millionare pastor is corrupt in my book, I guess some people don't see thru the phony that he is.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,739,073 times
I hope this thread stays in the spirit of allowing an individual to choose what fills their needs.

To each their own....

Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM

144 posts, read 620,828 times
Yes to each their own... but i have to add this

Pope: Jesus formed 'only one church' - Focus on the Vatican - MSNBC.com

Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,739,073 times
Respectfully, this isn't a place for a religious debate.

A member here simply shared a good experience he had with one particular church. That's what this forum is for....sharing. It's up to us as individuals accept that information or pass it up.

It could be argued that all man-made organized church entities are flawed. That just validates man's infallibility. Anyone who believes in God, also believes in free will. It's all a choice, and we each are responsible for the paths we follow. That part really isn't debatable.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM

144 posts, read 620,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post

A member here simply shared a good experience he had with one particular church. That's what this forum is for....sharing. It's up to us as individuals accept that information or pass it up.

It could be argued that all man-made organized church entities are flawed. That just validates man's infallibility. Anyone who believes in God, also believes in free will. It's all a choice, and we each are responsible for the paths we follow. That part really isn't debatable.
I think everyone here has the right to share their point of view, religion is very debatable my friend. The history books prove that, meaning almost every major war was fought due to the differences of religous beliefs.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,324,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post

Well said. I totally agree with you.

TexasNick, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at Our Lady of Guadalupe. I personally have never been there but my kids used to go sometimes with my in-laws. They used to go to the earliest Sunday Mass, I think it was like 7:30 or 8:00, I think there were not many people there.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,358,198 times
Originally Posted by wCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed1 View Post
I think everyone here has the right to share their point of view, religion is very debatable my friend. The history books prove that, meaning almost every major war was fought due to the differences of religous beliefs.
With great trepidation, I enter this thread......

Actually, WCat, if I am understanding correctly is NOT saying that religion is non-debatable; she is saying that THIS is not the forum for it, AND she is saying: "It's all a choice, and we are each responsible for the paths we follow. That part really isn't debatable."

and, truly, there IS a RELIGIONS forum on City-Data, and perhaps that's where this thread would be better placed.......

Someone found peace and hope somewhere and it happened to be inside a church and that church happens to come under scrutiny. Personally, I am of the belief that the original poster will be able to evaluate his or her experiences in this church and make the best decision for THEIR life and needs.
Why don't we move on? God's grace to each and every one of you..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio