U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times

Advertisements

We can pull phone records. Maybe the guy who called after me called at that time, but I spoke with a female at 3:58 on the Sprint network time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM

There was a heavy police presence at my son's middle school this afternoon--well, actually, a block or two off campus. 2 NISD patrol cars (one of which was pulling people over) and at least 2, but I think 3 SAPD cars, and our neighborhood patrol who is unarmed. They ran the Paleta man off, because he has no license to be out there selling ice cream to the kids and truthfully, the kids gather around his bike and it does tend to create problems. Good riddance. I spoke with our SAFFE officer, after SA08 (my friend and neighbor) went to the trouble of blowing up the phone lines today (thank you, sweet lady!) while I was at work. He's a great guy, probably a wonderful cop, but his problem is, he told me to go look at his monitor right now and he had 19 calls pending. They are stretched too thin. He said when he started with SAPD over 20 years ago, there were 1800 officers, and now there are only 2300, with all the growth we've had. Not enough. One other interesting tidbit, he told me that NISD cops are supposed to patrol one mile out from the schools--in other words, these kids that don't get a bus home SHOULD have a patrol car out every day monitoring activity. I'm out there EVERY day, and rarely, if ever, see an NISD cop. I wonder if they, too, are stretched too thin? Or is someone passing the buck here? Who knows? I will be calling NISD's police tomorrow and will try to get a human being to tell me their policy.

I understand being stretched too thin.....ask anyone who works these days, and we'll all admit that there just aren't enough people to get the job done so we have more on our plates than ever. You deal. But you DO show up and you DO have to act like you care a tiny bit.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 PM

311 posts, read 745,006 times
I was glad to make the calls today. My schedule was pretty light & it needed to be done. Let me know if you want me to get on NISD too. There was an impressive presence today & I'm grateful for it. I totally agree though NISD police need to be SEEN out there more often & maybe things wouldn't have gotten so out of hand yesterday. I would say "kids these days" but we know it was more the "adults" than the kids. I hope you & your family are having a peaceful evening - you are packing up the house aren't you? lol

Old 06-01-2011, 05:34 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
Well this is an interesting story. Thanks for the updates and please keep them coming. I think everyone should get used to a lot of things getting stretched pretty thin. These are some bleak times for sure...

Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,630,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Well this is an interesting story. Thanks for the updates and please keep them coming. I think everyone should get used to a lot of things getting stretched pretty thin. These are some bleak times for sure...
The only thing I want resources "stretched thin on" are speed traps. Everything else should be a high priority, particularly when it comes to children and the elderly.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The only thing I want resources "stretched thin on" are speed traps. Everything else should be a high priority, particularly when it comes to children and the elderly.
What struck me as funny-ish today when there were so many cops--they actually pulled someone over. Normally people just go whizzin' on by, and the kids are playing chicken in the street, but today of all days, they manage to ticket someone. Last week a kid ran out and he actually did get hit, but by all accounts it was his own fault. I don't know.....didn't see it so I can't say but these are middle-school kids with hormones amok. Not the sharpest little tools in the shed. They need structure and guidance, even when it involves walking home from school.

It's also end-of-year, which accounts for some of their shenanigans, but this year has been rough out there.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,630,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
What struck me as funny-ish today when there were so many cops--they actually pulled someone over. Normally people just go whizzin' on by, and the kids are playing chicken in the street, but today of all days, they manage to ticket someone. Last week a kid ran out and he actually did get hit, but by all accounts it was his own fault. I don't know.....didn't see it so I can't say but these are middle-school kids with hormones amok. Not the sharpest little tools in the shed. They need structure and guidance, even when it involves walking home from school.

It's also end-of-year, which accounts for some of their shenanigans, but this year has been rough out there.
I don't really buy that. I was a kid once. Still am, in many a way. I never once thought it was "fun" to run into the middle of the street anywhere. WTF? Life's too short, I want to enjoy mine while I have it, not end it prematurely due to my own stupidity.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
The posts above were moved from another thread where they were off topic for the thread. As the thread title indicates, use this thread to discuss your experiences with and opinions of the two major law enforcement agencies in Bexar County.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,238,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
There was a heavy police presence at my son's middle school this afternoon--well, actually, a block or two off campus. 2 NISD patrol cars (one of which was pulling people over) and at least 2, but I think 3 SAPD cars, and our neighborhood patrol who is unarmed. They ran the Paleta man off, because he has no license to be out there selling ice cream to the kids and truthfully, the kids gather around his bike and it does tend to create problems. Good riddance. I spoke with our SAFFE officer, after SA08 (my friend and neighbor) went to the trouble of blowing up the phone lines today (thank you, sweet lady!) while I was at work. He's a great guy, probably a wonderful cop, but his problem is, he told me to go look at his monitor right now and he had 19 calls pending. They are stretched too thin. He said when he started with SAPD over 20 years ago, there were 1800 officers, and now there are only 2300, with all the growth we've had. Not enough. One other interesting tidbit, he told me that NISD cops are supposed to patrol one mile out from the schools--in other words, these kids that don't get a bus home SHOULD have a patrol car out every day monitoring activity. I'm out there EVERY day, and rarely, if ever, see an NISD cop. I wonder if they, too, are stretched too thin? Or is someone passing the buck here? Who knows? I will be calling NISD's police tomorrow and will try to get a human being to tell me their policy.

I understand being stretched too thin.....ask anyone who works these days, and we'll all admit that there just aren't enough people to get the job done so we have more on our plates than ever. You deal. But you DO show up and you DO have to act like you care a tiny bit.
Some people want to eliminate school police departments. With SAPD being stretched too thin, I wonder how that would work? Even if SAPD were to hire all the laid-off school cops, that'll just be a transfer of tax dollars spent, not a full cut.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
You just need to remove the top end and support from individual departments and reinvest the money in personnel that actually work. I've never been anywhere that has so many school districts and police departments. Each one requires its own leadership and administration, which makes absolutely no financial sense. Look at the auto industry and how they have finally started to figure it out and started eliminating many of their divisions. I never understood why GM needed so many divisions and it looks like they've finally figured out the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or