U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,063,809 times

Advertisements

A bit off topic but I thought you all might enjoy the idea: I tubed the Coal recently (and have been on the Guadalupe before), and see several people snorkeling each time and occasionally diving down to the bottom.

I imagine they're looking for pieces of jewelry or anything else of value people have dropped. Seems like it's in the same vein as fishing for winning lottery tickets. Might be a new hobby to take up in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,415,576 times
They are and they do, I used to do it too. It's addictive, there are some high dollar items down there. The scuba divers with tanks find the best stuff though because they stay down longer and go deeper.

Another somewhat similar activity (which I started doing myself recently) is HEBs "Fresh or Free" policy, there are several threads about it already

Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 AM

108 posts, read 118,726 times
I found a scratch card in the parking lot at Valero that someone forgot to scratch one number and it was a $5.00 winner. If you rummage through the trash can inside the store you will find out these tickets have already been verified by the store and were either losing tickets or already been paid off.

Usually when people are in a hurry to scratch their ticket in the parking lot and throw their ticket on the ground is the best time to find out that they missed a spot or they are not sure how to play the game.

Although my pride tells me not to pick up a card off the ground the other part of me says what If !,I usually throw the ticket in the trash so I am providing a service to keep the city clean.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM

409 posts, read 465,057 times
My latest find...a brand new crisp $100 dollar bill in the HEB parking lot near me. I also have a habit of looking on the ground or isles in stores and parking lots in banks or anywhere there is $$. Not much lottery ticket luck lately bit I won't quit looking.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
855 posts, read 1,317,306 times
I think this is a good idea. I wish I was a kid again. I found a five dollar bill one time. We would always collect up soda pop bottles. We tried selling coat hangers to cleaning companies. I would not hesitate to collect used lottery tickets like baseball cards. Who knows, they might be collectable some day. I have an old pull tab that I found under the backseat of a late sixties Triumph I was scrapping out for parts. Number 56 Prize $5000.00. Maybe I should post it on Ebay

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 10,107 times
Smile Tickets Tickets

jUst got back from lunch and a picking excursion and found $102.00 in winning lottery tickets and no they were not already claimed as one person mentioned above. The $100.00 winner that I found wasn't even scratched. The person bought 4 together and missed one entirely and I got it!!!! Then I found another $2 ticket in the group. Good day for trash picking!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM

418 posts, read 416,749 times
Every day around 1pm I go out for a walk during lunch hour.

My walk takes me past a drive through window for Shipley donuts... and
invariably I find spare change on the ground.

It is like winning the mini-mini-lottery on a daily basis.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:35 PM

12 posts, read 10,107 times
Default I dont understand

I really do not get people. I must live in a really stupid town but again I went out for lunch into my usual store got about 50 tickets out went home and checked. Found 2 winning tickets. One for $40 and the other for $10.00 This is $152.00 in two days. The big one is around the corner

Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 PM

409 posts, read 465,057 times
Default Happy pickings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajean118 View Post
I really do not get people. I must live in a really stupid town but again I went out for lunch into my usual store got about 50 tickets out went home and checked. Found 2 winning tickets. One for $40 and the other for $10.00 This is $152.00 in two days. The big one is around the corner
Hey tara..I am happy for you. I bet some of these nonbelievers will secretly start trashcan diving. I see ppl pick up aluminum cans for recycling and even look in trashcans. I see no difference in lottery tickets. More power to you and Happy Pickings...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 PM

237 posts, read 359,103 times
So I am wondering, is there an expiration date on lottery tickets? I mean they must make X number of winning tickets, and I would think they have to be mindful of how much money they have in the "pot" so they don't make too many winners (more than they have money to cover). With that in mind, how do they account for these winning tckets that people throw away? They would have to keep money in the pot to cover them you would think, but after a few years, and with this happeneing all accross the state, then the pot would eventaully be overflowing with money that may never get paid out. But if the tickets have an expiration date (for example any prize must be claimed by X date), then they can safely know they aren't going to pay off that winning ticket after the date passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio