U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,297,539 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the mother has thought of all these things now, but it's unfortunately too late. Hopefully others will learn from her mistake, though. I know I'll make sure my son and his GF are aware of this, even though they are Extremely protective of her already.

And the media here sucks.. Only place I've ever lived that had a spelling error on the title of the main headline of the front page of their newspaper. Talk about unforgivable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,178,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
A child that age should have been in bed by 9 p.m.
Are you kidding, this is San Antonio...I am sure the kid was up because they were planning on taking the kid to HEB after 11:00.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 AM

7,649 posts, read 8,098,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Where did you see that the mother was there? Never mind, I found the story.

A life cut short in the street - San Antonio Express-News

Why are the stories constantly changing? It went from being the father to being the boyfriend to being the mother. How can they get that wrong?

If the child is known to unlock the door and run out the apartment, you leave him alone in the living room?

Your average two year old is less than 3 ft tall. I put a chair up against my door and measured 5 ft from the seat of the chair to the top of the door. If I had a child who repeatedly escaped out the front door, I would have tried putting a chain lock at the top of the door. From my experience, maintenance will usually help you out with those kinds of things.
This is my biggest issue with this tragedy. Like rd said, quiet kids are a sign of trouble and many times no matter what we do they WILL get into something. The key is making sure what they can get into is harmless.. Something like making sure they can't get out of the house should be right up at the top of the list.

This is a tragedy and these people (including the cop that hit the child) now have to live with it for the rest of their lives, but in my opinion someone with an IQ somewhere just higher than paste would have prevented this.

On a side note, I believe kids do need a proper bed time starting as early as possible. Drives me up a wall to hear my neighbor's 5yr old out in her back yard at 11pm on a week night. She starts kinder in the fall and I can already see the drama getting her to bed and up on time when school starts. IMO get them into a routine early. Besides, I dont know about anyone else, but I do like an hour or two of conversation with my wife without having my child present every second of the day.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,358,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Your average two year old is less than 3 ft tall. I put a chair up against my door and measured 5 ft from the seat of the chair to the top of the door. If I had a child who repeatedly escaped out the front door, I would have tried putting a chain lock at the top of the door. From my experience, maintenance will usually help you out with those kinds of things.
Hindsight is 20/20.

My daughter, who didn't walk until 18 months, could push a chair to reach the door lock by 2. Fortunately, she wasn't one to venture off on her own (my toddler is another story). However, it's only because I saw her do it that I realized it was a potential problem. It never would have occured to me *before* that a 2 yr old understood the concept of pushing the chair to the lock...

We do a lot to prevent our toddler escape artist from getting out, but I won't be shocked if he finds away that I hadn't considered. Fortunately he hasn't figured out how to unlock the gates, but that will come too...

Bashing the parents, saying the kid should be asleep (how does anyone force a toddler to sleep? Please tell me, as my 18 month old spent all of about 2 hours asleep between 8pm and 5am last night...), etc etc does no good. This is a tragedy. Let's use it as a reminder for how to prevent such a tragedy in the future - we can learn from others' mistakes so we don't have to make our own. Thumping our self righteous breasts does no good for anyone.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,946,043 times
Ya'll scare me about having kids.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:30 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,297,539 times
That's ok Nick, the thought of you having kids scares all of us too...

just kidding of course

What Chaka said reminded me of a show I saw on TV the other day. It was about some kind of bird (looked like a regular crow to me) that they tested to see if it could get a grub out of a glass of water that was only partially full. The bird could not get it with its beak alone because it could not get its head in far enough, but they placed some stones by the glass to see if the bird could figure it out. Didn't take it more than a second to figure it out and he was eating the grub in less than a minute. Life is a challenge and most animals (babies included) will find a way to get what they want. We have to try to protect them as best we can, but it's difficult to say the least.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,111,521 times
Video...

Surveillance video shows scene where vehicles struck toddler

Why would the family want to know how fast the two vehicles were traveling? What's the point? Even if they were going at half the speed, it would have been near impossible to see such a small child at night along a poorly lit road.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 PM

7,000 posts, read 10,242,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

My daughter, who didn't walk until 18 months, could push a chair to reach the door lock by 2. Fortunately, she wasn't one to venture off on her own (my toddler is another story). However, it's only because I saw her do it that I realized it was a potential problem. It never would have occured to me *before* that a 2 yr old understood the concept of pushing the chair to the lock...

We do a lot to prevent our toddler escape artist from getting out, but I won't be shocked if he finds away that I hadn't considered. Fortunately he hasn't figured out how to unlock the gates, but that will come too...
Hindsight is 20/20, but this happened repeatedly. I would be scared out of my mind if I had a toddler who constantly escaped through the front door, ran down the steps, and ran toward the street even if he did stop at the street. It is possible to teach a two year old that that kind of behavior is inappropriate.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,078,149 times
That vid taken from the Mexican restaurant shows a spooky ghost of a tot scurrying across the street in that grainy surveillance video and having his life end with a frame grab.

Don't let kids leave home alone.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,969,734 times
Seeing that video just makes my heart hurt even more over this situation...

I keep thinking that my daughter and I were right by there just before it happened...

My parents live in the neighborhood directly across the street from where the memorial is placed... They had sent me to Subway at about 820pm or so... On the way back my daughter and I were talking about how busy Subway had been... My daughter said "Look mom, it's already 856pm, I hope it's not too late for Grandma and PawPaw to eat"... When she said this I was turning on the street just yards away from where the accident happened...

I am not placing blame on myself in any way, shape or form, but I think it's only natural for the "What if I had seen him" to run thru my mind... Especially since I was right there just minutes before the accident happened...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio