U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 AM

4 posts, read 25,646 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I just got accepted to UTSA and i'm confused. I prefer to live next to campus, like 5-15 minutes walking between the apartment complex and campus.

Any recommendations? Advices? Could you tell me about some luxury apartment complexes ? Utilities and prices?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 9,527 times
Congrats! I took a few courses there and my wife gradualted from UTSA in 2002. That part of town is pretty nice (and safe). Anywhere in the area would be fine. If you have a roommate I would suggest renting a house. I lived there for 8 yrs & the last 3 years we rented a 2-story (3 bed,2 bath, 2 car garage) for about $825. I think now days you might pay closer to $1,000. But at least you get a garage & backyard for BBQ-ing & Parties (and it works out nicely if you have a pet).

Old 06-05-2011, 08:32 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,514 times
That area is congested and crammed to say the least (Babcock and UTSA Blvd to be exact). I lived in a neighborhood within walking distance from UTSA for 25 plus years and just moved to the country because they are a billion people in that area. That area continues to grow and there is not much space for it to expand. If I were in your shoes I would look for places other than right next to campus.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM

5,622 posts, read 6,404,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpegue View Post
Congrats! I took a few courses there and my wife gradualted from UTSA in 2002. That part of town is pretty nice (and safe). Anywhere in the area would be fine. If you have a roommate I would suggest renting a house. I lived there for 8 yrs & the last 3 years we rented a 2-story (3 bed,2 bath, 2 car garage) for about $825. I think now days you might pay closer to $1,000. But at least you get a garage & backyard for BBQ-ing & Parties (and it works out nicely if you have a pet).
I second the house over apartment but the only thing the house may not be within walking distance.

If walking to and from UTSA is a must then apartment will be better. So many new ones have gone up.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
There are plenty of apartments that are within walking distance of UTSA, the school offers a list of off-campus apartments that should help you find one you like.

The Office of Student Life also maintains listings of available houses, apartments, and rooms in homes for rent, as well as a list of fellow students searching for roommates.

And it's a very nice area to live in and is not that crowded, La Cantera is right across 1604 from campus and Six Flags is nearby as well. Plus there are many bus stops to help you get around if you don't want to drive. About the only limitation I can see is there aren't any grocery stores conveniently located nearby, but there is a new HEB+ going up at Bandera Road and 1604 which will help that out a lot!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
If I were in your shoes I would look for places other than right next to campus.
Except that parking's a bit of a nightmare on that campus.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Except that parking's a bit of a nightmare on that campus.
And that the OP explicitly stated "I prefer to live next to campus, like 5-15 minutes walking between the apartment complex and campus"

Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 AM

5,622 posts, read 6,404,848 times
It is very crowded. Anyone that lives there can confirm that.

During certain times of the year, it is a nightmare but that can be expected of any college area. Still a very nice area to live in regardless.

There is already a HEB at bandera & 1604, not sure how the new HEB Plus is going to help any more than the existing one. When I lived by UTSA, it was easier for me to go to the wal-mart or HEB by dezavala.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 25,646 times
Thanks guys..

the problem is i don't have car currently, so it's hard for me to live far away from campus.
it's also important to have supermarkets nearby, are there some of them?

and could you provide with some apartment complexes names?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,514 times
Closest grocery stores are HEB on 10 and Dezavala or the HEB on Bandera and 1604. Those are not exactly nearby though. Surely not close enough to walk to. You could live at the dorms on campus, but that is probably worst case scenario. Try this:

The Outpost (San Antonio) | University of Texas San Antonio Student Housing, San Antonio College Housing, University of Texas San Antonio Off Campus Housing

This one is right across the street from campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio