U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 AM

95 posts, read 74,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
What about the "excesive yielders"? Those who come to a complete stop at a yield sign even if there is no one on the other lane? I see that all the time on the 1604/I-10 interchange... seems like "yield" in this town is interpreted at "drivers' discretion"

I was just about to say something about this problem that is equally annoying and dangerous

Look people... This city's problem can be summed up in two words... scared drivers. It is full of hesitant drivers that are so affraid of getting close to the other cars. Get over it! Be assertive and GOOOO!!
I come from Houston. Where the yield sign is not the same as a stop sign. Where people on both sides of this situation are confident enough to know how to merge with one another and not freak out because they see a car trying to get on or off the highway! This is crazy. There is a 50ft lane devoted to the yielder so that he can slow down or speed up as needed. It angers me that I have to sit behind some numbskull because he wants to wait for all the oncoming traffic to die down before he even thinks about going forward. And yes the main problem is that they are waiting for a chance to cross all three lanes in a matter of 10 feet of street. It just wont happen. But, on the same token, don't sit there and wait for the traffic to die down. merge in to the other lane and get over to where you need to be SAFELY AND CURTIOUSLY...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,593,331 times
LOL. There is a reason why some people might be scared, it's because of the scary drivers. I think half of the drivers are scary and it makes the other half scared. My gripe is with people who enter the highway slowly; it makes it difficult for everyone behind them to merge safely. At least get your car up to 50 mph; don't enter going 30. I heard accidents are even worse in Houston, but I've never been there.

I agree with Skeet; some cloverleafs are poorly designed. Some people stop completely because they can't see and others will drive right through not giving a care in the world that they're about to hit someone.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:24 AM

1,045 posts, read 811,500 times
Don't worry if you have never been to Houston. You aren't missing anything.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,067,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Don't worry if you have never been to Houston. You aren't missing anything.
While Houston may have more traffic, they do a better job of planning out the highways compared to San Antonio.

They can predict growth better when building new highways. San Antonio can't.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,287,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrethegiant View Post
I was just about to say something about this problem that is equally annoying and dangerous

Look people... This city's problem can be summed up in two words... scared drivers. It is full of hesitant drivers that are so affraid of getting close to the other cars. Get over it! Be assertive and GOOOO!!
I come from Houston. Where the yield sign is not the same as a stop sign. Where people on both sides of this situation are confident enough to know how to merge with one another and not freak out because they see a car trying to get on or off the highway! This is crazy. There is a 50ft lane devoted to the yielder so that he can slow down or speed up as needed. It angers me that I have to sit behind some numbskull because he wants to wait for all the oncoming traffic to die down before he even thinks about going forward. And yes the main problem is that they are waiting for a chance to cross all three lanes in a matter of 10 feet of street. It just wont happen. But, on the same token, don't sit there and wait for the traffic to die down. merge in to the other lane and get over to where you need to be SAFELY AND CURTIOUSLY...
those numbsculls are probably mothers with their young children buckled in the backseat. Suddenly, you become a very cautious driver when your children's lives are at risk -- especially when driving in a city where cars simply do not stop at yield signs, STOP signs or even red lights 40 percent of the time.

so sorry, I'm not going until I know it is safe. These kids are waaaaay more important then some impatient numbskull behind me.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 AM

862 posts, read 991,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
While Houston may have more traffic, they do a better job of planning out the highways compared to San Antonio.

They can predict growth better when building new highways. San Antonio can't.
San Antonio can predict growth just fine. The problem is they don't do anything about it.

If you don't yield, you and your family deserve to be rammed @ the legal speed.

Not every freeway exit has a yield sign. A single solid white line provides you a protected exit for a certain distance to prepare to MERGE with oncoming traffic. If you drive like you have a yield sign- you deserve to be rammed.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 AM

1,045 posts, read 811,500 times
Yezzir agreed

Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM

18 posts, read 11,284 times
I think both exit ramps and feeder roads should have yield signs...isnt that what no fault insurance is for!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,593,331 times
People are to always yield when someone is exiting the highway even when a yield sign is not present.

Quote:
Sec. 545.154. VEHICLE ENTERING OR LEAVING LIMITED-ACCESS OR CONTROLLED-ACCESS HIGHWAY. An operator on an access or feeder road of a limited-access or controlled-access highway shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering or about to enter the access or feeder road from the highway or leaving or about to leave the access or feeder road to enter the highway.
TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 AM

662 posts, read 765,569 times
^^^^^
but they don't.
it's ok though, i'll cut anyone off when i'm exiting the highway, even if you have to slam on your brakes. call it me enforcing the law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio