U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 PM

4,650 posts, read 3,559,801 times
59k is plenty. It is suggested that one should not buy a house that is more than 3 times that person's yearly income. A 177k house is not bad. Freddie Mac says no more than 2.5 times your income which would be $147,500.

According to this, the median household income in the U.S. in 2009 was just over $50,000. The median household income in Travis County was over $53,000. Austin's cost of living is slightly lower than the national average (the largest cities in Texas have a lower cost of living than the national average). So if the people in Austin are struggling, then most of the country must be as well.

Travis County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Have you noticed that most all the San Antonio bashing in here is related to the Social Stratification of its populace?
It seems like the point of the OP posting this thread was to prove that San Antonio is not a low-wage, blue collar town. So what does one expect to be discussed in this thread? Why brag about the total wealth of the city and not have an issue with income disparities? Why is it not considered shallow to talk about the total wealth San Antonio generates, but is considered shallow to talk about how unevenly that wealth is distributed? Obviously, a lot of people are not benefiting from the total wealth of San Antonio.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,288,488 times
I few percentage points in income is not even noticeable my fellow forumer. And sorry the cost of housing in Austin compared to San Antonio's is what evens the score. You cannot compare San Antonio to some undeveloped country, where only two classes are prevelant.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM

What? Who is talking about a few percentage points? My point is that the people in Austin can't have it that bad since the cost of living is lower than the national average, but their median income is higher than the national average. If the people in Austin are suffering from their cost of living to income ratio, then much of the country would be even worse off.

Who is comparing San Antonio to an undeveloped country? You're starting to pull things out of thin air now. Income disparity is income disparity. How does that equate to two classes? When a small percentage of the population holds a large percentage of the income, then income disparity exists.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

I calculated the percent difference between the Austin MSA $59,000 and the San Antonio MSA $44,000. Note: I did not calculate percent change which is a different formula. Austin's cost of living would have to be 29% higher than San Antonio's to balance everything out. If you use the percent change formula, there would have to be a 34% difference.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Someone posted this website a few months back. I don't know where they get their stats or if they're even accurate, but they claim there is a huge cost of living difference between San Antonio and Austin. 100 is supposed to be the national average. According to this site, San Antonio is at 77 and Austin is at 91. That's a 14 point difference. If you calculate percent difference between the two numbers, you get about 16.7%. If you calculate percent change, you get 18%. No matter how you twist the numbers, the cost of living in Austin does not balance out the difference in incomes.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I did pull up charts that had San Antonio at 93 and Austin at 94, but I don't know if those are accurate either.

Best Cities 2010: How Does Your City Stack Up? Sortable Data, U.S. Metropolitan Areas, Population, Cost of Living Index, Creative Class, Median Household Income, Income Growth

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 05:04 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,288,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What? Who is talking about a few percentage points? My point is that the people in Austin can't have it that bad since the cost of living is lower than the national average, but their median income is higher than the national average. If the people in Austin are suffering from their cost of living to income ratio, then much of the country would be even worse off.

Who is comparing San Antonio to an undeveloped country? You're starting to pull things out of thin air now. Income disparity is income disparity. How does that equate to two classes? When a small percentage of the population holds a large percentage of the income, then income disparity exists.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

I calculated the percent difference between the Austin MSA $59,000 and the San Antonio MSA $44,000. Note: I did not calculate percent change which is a different formula. Austin's cost of living would have to be 29% higher than San Antonio's to balance everything out. If you use the percent change formula, there would have to be a 34% difference.

I am Mainly focusing on cost of housing. Austin doesn't have it bad at all actually, but its not a utopia like some people claim in comparison to SA.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 AM

97 posts, read 74,626 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Please go back and read your posts. First, you said call center jobs are blue collar and then you said they are white collar.
I'll go back and correct it. I meant call center jobs are white caller.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
It seems like the point of the OP posting this thread was to prove that San Antonio is not a low-wage, blue collar town. So what does one expect to be discussed in this thread? Why brag about the total wealth of the city and not have an issue with income disparities?
Brag? I posted this to shut down any future bash threads/posts posting misconceptions that I've seen posted here numerous times.

How is that bragging?

Heck the examples that followed should show you what I was trying to end. Some people saw those statistics and either: Called them inaccurate or a lie. And some decided to play a different tune and harp on poverty/education/obesity instead.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 AM

L210, why are you using $44,000 when Livability has it at $54,000?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 AM

This CNN Money article talking about Washington DC makes a point to mention how out of the 52 largest metro areas, San Antonio was the only metro area to see it's median household income increase between 2009 to 2010. It is $47,698 according to that article.

Maybe L210 and this CNN article from September are using the estimated median household incomes and Livability is using the official Census 2010 numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio