U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM

1,074 posts, read 943,054 times

Advertisements

I have a lifetime certification in all grade levels so who knows. Maybe I will be your child's teacher. Maybe I can teach them statistics? I was born and raised in this city and have been here for let us say decades. My perception is reality because I have seen this city change for the good and for the worst. I still don't understand your arguement that stats/numbers are generalizations and perceptions of numbers are merely that, perceptions. That makes no sense. Numbers do not lie.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM

rd2007 you might be my only friend in this thread! And true this is an open forum is it not???

Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM

5,857 posts, read 6,617,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatSA View Post
Being poor makes you obese? Seriously? I'd think diet and level of activity did. Or are you saying poor people eat a lot (because they have the money to buy tunes of food) and just sit at home on the computer chatting on forums or playing video games on a XBOX or Playstation?
Honestly, poverty does contribute to obesity, because it costs more to eat healthier...just compare the difference in prices between regular hamburger meat and the 96% lean hamburger meat, or the difference in price between breaded chicken nuggets, and boneless, skinless chicken breast. Or the difference in price between rice and beans, and vegetables...I can make a side dish of rice for about 75 cents to feed the whole family, but if I wanted to serve a side salad instead, it would cost me about $5.

I used to live on the north side, and there weren't many obese children at my daughter's school. She was actually considered kind of chunky by most of her classmates. We live on the sw side now, and there are only two or three girls in her class who are thinner than her. I've noticed it seems to get really obvious around second or third grade...there aren't that many chubby kindergarteners, but as they get older, it starts to develop.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:57 PM

13,805 posts, read 19,033,097 times
It's an open Internet and not just for the haters/statistically challenged..

And sad but true about the cost of eating healthy. I eat maybe 20% of what I used to and spend more. Go figure..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:23 PM

97 posts, read 82,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Does the op live here? And $11/hour is supposed to be good?
Yes. And where did anyone say 11 an hour was a good wage?

Quote:
I'm seriously doubting those stats...
I take it you have the real numbers in a folder on your hard drive...

Quote:
And you create a thread, you don't freaking own it!

Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 PM

iPad, no hard drive aqui..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Honestly, poverty does contribute to obesity, because it costs more to eat healthier...just compare the difference in prices between regular hamburger meat and the 96% lean hamburger meat, or the difference in price between breaded chicken nuggets, and boneless, skinless chicken breast. Or the difference in price between rice and beans, and vegetables...I can make a side dish of rice for about 75 cents to feed the whole family, but if I wanted to serve a side salad instead, it would cost me about $5.
The thing is, you can maintain and even lose weight on a pure junk food diet. What someone eats whether it be regular ground meat or lean ground meat doesn't matter. How much you eat of either compounded with either a active lifestyle or sedentary lifestyle is what matters.

Quote:
I used to live on the north side, and there weren't many obese children at my daughter's school. She was actually considered kind of chunky by most of her classmates. We live on the sw side now, and there are only two or three girls in her class who are thinner than her. I've noticed it seems to get really obvious around second or third grade...there aren't that many chubby kindergarteners, but as they get older, it starts to develop.
In my opinion and this may offend some, but I would venture to bet a lot of her classmates are hispanics. In the hispanic culture, it is very food centric and the meals they have are big portioned.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
iPad, no hard drive aqui..
Well, I'm sure you have the "real" numbers saved in your notes app on there. Right?

I have the link to a site that has all the information, data, statistics in the world for everything and the numbers proving me wrong are there too. I'd link it you but it's in flash.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM

YouTube - ‪Jamie Oliver's TED award speech.‬‏

Watch this! You can maintain and lose all the weight you want, but it is not about losing weight. It is about being healthy. They do not call heart disease the silent killer for no reason. A pure junk food diet? All I can say at this point is WOW! And now we are sterotyping Hispanics as well. Credibility out the window

Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM

I just can't see the white collar number as accurate and the median income number doesn't support it either. Would help to know their definition of that term, because these incomes aren't very high..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio