Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM

418 posts, read 784,563 times

Advertisements

Statistics are always interesting to view but in the final analysis they really don't matter much in terms of how an individual will perceive their life in a particular city... because that perception is their own reality.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
In which case, I REALLY pity friends in CA making 9-10 bucks/hr....oh, wait - it's the land of milk and honey - they're "well off" and just don't know it!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM

97 posts, read 150,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
An $11/hr or $8/hr is not a "White Collar Job"...that is like $16K-$22K a year...that is below the poverty line by federal standards if you have a family.
You understand where the terms came from, right? They had nothing to do with the wage a worker earned, they came from what type of job the worker had.

You can't change the basic definition of a word to fit your argument. Sorry.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Yes I am the model of perfect health and beauty. I am the complete opposite of this article.
I'm sure.

Quote:
Perfect timing for this to come out today!!! Secondly, I would like you to ask anyone from cities such as Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. if they think "call center" jobs are blue-collared. Go down to the Toyota plant and ask those employees working the line if call center jobs are blue-collared. They'd laugh right in your face and tell you where to go.
What?

Quote:
You can also make a strong correlation between poverty and obesity.
Being poor makes you obese? Seriously? I'd think diet and level of activity did. Or are you saying poor people eat a lot (because they have the money to buy tunes of food) and just sit at home on the computer chatting on forums or playing video games on a XBOX or Playstation?

If you wanted to, you can find anything to correlate to obesity.

Quote:
Also, Primo nailed it. In today's economy no matter what city you live there is no way you can have a decent quality of life for you and your family based on an $11 an hour wage! That is absurd and is the prime example of poverty!
Your conclusion applies only if everyone working a call center job is supporting a family on 11 dollars an hour. They're not.

It'd also apply if said person supporting said family had no SO to help support said family.

But then again, there are millionaires out there saying their 150,000 salary isn't "enough" to support a family. lol

Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Statistics are always interesting to view but in the final analysis they really don't matter much in terms of how an individual will perceive their life in a particular city... because that perception is their own reality.
Exactly. The sad part is there are some who use their perception as a basis for their opinion driven drivel and state it as fact.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:22 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
I am going to go ahead and assume that the OP is mid to late 20's and somewhat educated based on the use of the word "haters" placed into the title. The aforementioned cities have historically been referred to as "blue collar" cities meaning hard, manual labor not sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours with a headset doing customer service for a corporation. Your response of "what?' tells me you did not know that. Secondly if you are going to use stats to prove a point you should know the basics of statistics and the reliability/validity of testing. Anyone who knows anything about the use of stats knows that correlations do not lead to causation. Go read the common misconceptions section in the link below. That being said I never said being poor makes you obese. I said there is a correlation. A correlation is exactly that. A CORRELATION NOT A CAUSE! Eating processed food is cheaper and more readily available to a single mom of 4 working 2 jobs as opposed to highly nutrional food which is more expensive and does not come in a biggie sized value meal.
Correlation and dependence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
There is no altered perception of stats. They are numbers and numbers are the only universal truth out there. If Tim Duncan shoots ten free throws and misses 5 that is 50% accuracy. There is no misconception of that. Even my elementary students would agree with that!

Old 06-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I am going to go ahead and assume that the OP is mid to late 20's and somewhat educated based on the use of the word "haters" placed into the title. The aforementioned cities have historically been referred to as "blue collar" cities meaning hard, manual labor not sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours with a headset doing customer service for a corporation. Your response of "what?' tells me you did not know that.
I said what because the entire block you wrote made no sense not because I didn't know the economic history of the cities you listed. But good try.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
There is no altered perception of stats. They are numbers and numbers are the only universal truth out there. If Tim Duncan shoots ten free throws and misses 5 that is 50% accuracy. There is no misconception of that. Even my elementary students would agree with that!
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

You hijacked my thread because you didn't like what I posted because it doesn't jive with your generalized perception of SA.

Last edited by Bo; 06-09-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 03:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Does the op live here? And $11/hour is supposed to be good?

I'm seriously doubting those stats...

And you create a thread, you don't freaking own it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio