Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:46 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,
Looking at attending a film this weekend but wondering.... Is there a preference for a certain Alamo Drafthouse location (Westlakes, Park North, Stone Oak)? Any tips on arrival times? Seating?

I have never been to an Alamo Drafthouse, but have been to the Santikos Bijou. Which is better?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I haven't been to either, either. But I do know that AD has a fairly strict no cell phone/no text policy that I like and now that I know that, I will most likely go see a movie there. There is a video going around on FB that is hysterical, it's a voice mail (with a Powerpoint of the entire message) left by an angry girl who was kicked out of the theater after using her cell phone. Hit up mamatotex97 over there, she posted it yesterday or the day before. It's truly worth watching.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Yes, click on Alamo Drafthouse web page to see it. I love the North Park location... Not to mention I know Alamo Drafthouse gives back to the community! They are my top pick!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I prefer the Bijou, but it also depends on what I'm seeing and who I am going with.

She texted. We kicked her out. : Blog : Austin : Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM

188 posts, read 616,201 times
I really like Alamo Draft House Stone Oak but it's the only one I've been too. The food is "kinda" pricey but you get a lot... a large popcorn is like $5 and drinks are $4 but free refills. There is not a bad seat - because it is really tiered so you never have a blocked view. I would get there at least 30 - 45 minutes early if it is a busy night or new movie, to get a seat and watch the fun pre-show. If it's not busy, probably 15 - 30 minutes... gives you a chance to order before the movie starts

Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Yes, that video is what prompted me to check out Alamo Drafthouse. But, it seems like there may be an unusually large crowd this weekend due to it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
I've been to both, spent countless hours at the ORIGINAL Drafthouse in Austin (which is now gone) and have to say that between the two, Alamo Drafthouse gets the concept right. Bijou needs a serious renovation, better trained servers and a menu that doesn't resemble middle school lunch fare.

That being said, what The Alamo has turned into since franchising out is totally not what Tim League originally created: Once a place for film-lovers and those interested in not-the-norm creative movie events is now just another multiplex with surly teenage staff and a menu to boot. The Westlakes location is most like the original concept in Austin (if that means anything).

BN

Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Oh that video was priceless!! Magnited States of America!!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
I actually really like the Bijou. It's quiet, there are no kids there, they show better films. As for the food, I can't say I've eaten there. We usually hit it up after having a lunch and get desert there and that's always been good.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I rarely eat when I go to movies. On my one visit to the Park North Draft House, I was asked by the waitstaff 4 times during the movie if I wanted to order anything. It was like being at a ballgame with beer vendors walking up and down the aisles. In addition, the theater was downright chilly... and I'm someone who is rarely uncomfortable in air conditioning. All of that is why I've never gone back.

I like the selection of films better at the Bijou. I like the much more discreet waitstaff at the Bijou. I like the fact that the air conditioning has always been comfortable when I've been to the Bijou. I don't even mind the musty smell at the Bijou... since it is, after all, in the basement of a shopping mall!

BTW, I've been having a spirited debate this week with folks in the Austin forum about whether that Drafthouse voicemail/trailer bit is staged, viral marketing. I think it is. Most of them think it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio