U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 28,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
To be honest, if you like your service, they shouldnt have to DO anything to keep you beyond continuing to deliver what you are paying for. I am also very surprised they offered "nothing" to keep you. I guess everyone's mileage varies but I can direct you to a website full of people (including myself) who have received multiple discounts.

As an example, the discount I received (I was upgrading my service) was:
HD Receiver -$99 (my cost $0)
HD Receiver - $99 (my cost $0)
Whole home DVR Service with internet connection kit - $149 (my cost $0)
NFL Sunday Ticket - $329.99 (my cost $169.99)

$680.00 worth of equipment and services for a total cost to me of $169.99 and I never once threatened to cancel. I just asked if they had any deals on upgrades (I was going to upgrade anyway)

As for rain fade, that is virtually a thing of the past. Proper dish peaking eliminates it unless the sky is pitch black with clouds.
Well, I guess it all depends on which Customer Service rep you get when you call in. The one I got could care less if we stayed or went. I didn't call in and right off the bat threaten to leave. I said that our contract was up & wanted to know what kind of deals they were offering. I was told since I was an existing customer I didn't qualify for anything. That's when I said other companies were offering better deals to get my service & she told me that I could go. Since my husband was not thrilled with the quality of their service from pretty much day one, we decided to go somewhere else. I know alot of people like DirectTV but I also know people who had experiences like ours. We went back to TWC when this happened which was last summer & have been happy with them. That's why we have choices - so everyone can choose the product that is right for them. I'm glad you are happy with them & got all those discounts. I just wanted to tell my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 PM

36 posts, read 87,980 times
I've been in SA for over 30 years, since cable first came to town with Rogers Cable. I tend to switch back and forth from TimeWarner and DirecTV in order to get cheaper rates. My problem is that I need high-speed Internet for a home-based business and when I go with DirecTV I'm forced to buy AT&T DSL. I've been disappointed with DirecTV and DIshNetwork since they've always made me buy the equipment. I've heard that's changed a bit but haven't really investigated it much. I'm happy with TimeWarner service, just not very happy with their rates. Unfortunately I can't get U-verse at my location. AT&T says it's in my area but the two techs who came out to install have told me otherwise. I'd love switch to AT&T if it was available.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,640,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I've heard very good things about Verizon FIOS, but I don't expect to see them expand to the San Antonio market in the foreseeable future, if ever.

For one thing, San Antonio was one of the launch cities for U-verse in 2006, in fact I think AT&T's U-verse operations are still headquartered here. There are extremely few markets nationwide where U-verse is available, that also have FIOS, and vice-versa. I believe the DFW area is the only sizable Texas market where Verizon FIOS is available, and is also one of those rare markets where there is some FIOS/U-verse overlap.

I know Verizon suspended expansion of FIOS territory a while back. Don't know if they've resumed yet.
If your area is currently served by AT&T then that area will NEVER have Verizon FiOS. If currently Verizon, then NEVER AT&T landline service.

Verizon is the result of a merger between GTE and Bell Atlantic. DFW is the biggest former GTE market, but not the city cores. Dallas and Fort Worth proper are principally AT&T, Verizon the outlying areas, including DFW airport. L.A. has a large Verizon (formerly GTE) market. Everett WA and Tampa/St Pete FL. There are some smaller markets. The east coast from Virginia to Boston is primarily Verizon (former Bell Atlantic and its earlier mergers).

Of course, a merger of Verizon and AT&T can change all that. But not likely.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
Directv fan here and our price is always all over the place because we subscribe to the NFL, Baseball and Hockey packages. We have two DVRs, two HD receivers and one regular receiver. We also have whole house DVR so we can watch recordings in any room except the regular receiver room. Each year we normally can upgrade a receiver for free. Never be afraid to call Directv and ask for something. I have gotten all kinds of stuff for free before and then my neighbor would find out and she would call and get the same deal. Always ask and they normally will do it if you are a good customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas34 View Post
We had DirectTV & when our contract was up, I called to see what kind of deal they would give me to keep me as a customer and was told "none". I said that all the other companies were offering much better pricing & I could go to one of them. The customer service rep told me to go, so I did. Of course after I left, I got calls & letters offering me all sorts of things to switch back but it was too late by then - I told them they had their chance. Also, everytime we got the smallest bit of rain, the signal went out.
From what I've been able to ascertain, there are two categories of DirecTV or DISH customers that are likely (upon request) to receive some kind of upgrade or temporary programming discount:

1. Long-time customers with good payment history who have not recently or are not currently receiving a promotional rate.

2. Customers with good payment history who subscribe to high-end programming packages + add-on premium or specialty programming packages, who have completed their 2-year contract period. Doesn't hurt if they also buy a lot of PPV events.

Upgrades or discounts may come with strings attached, in the form of another term agreement of up to two years.

I've heard of people who just switch back and forth between DISH & DirecTV every couple of years. Just long enough for the contract with their current service to have expired, and then be considered a "new" customer all over again (with current new customer incentives & discounts) by the provider they ditched two years earlier.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
845 posts, read 1,380,587 times
I have had both Time Warner for a few years; and currently have UVerse with AT & T. My experience overall for all three services, phone, internet, and TV, have been awesome with AT & T. Newer equipment (DVR), also, I am not commited to a contract! I have had less issues with AT & T regarding service compared to Time Warner. Just my feedback............luckily now after many years, I finally was able to switch to another provider in my area. : )

Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM

64 posts, read 121,805 times
Hey, good the hear that someone else gets the broadcast free antenna tv in HD ota ... awesome stuff, hunh?

With the NFL negotiations being at an impasse, wouldn't it stand to reason that it's a great time to switch to the free ota broadcast antenna tv? It's not worth paying $600 dollars a year for cable and sports packages to not watch those beloved sports. Crazy again, esp. now, to pay for something you can get for FREE! Hello? I get all the sports I need ota on broadcast channels. Plus, you get lots of commercial free PBS which is the only tv worth watching. Not only is it commercial free but it's true quality tv - everything else is noisy mindrot.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 PM

[SIZE=-1]News[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]4 new results for free ota dtv[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]7 Companies That Could Be Affected by NFL Labor Negotiations
[SIZE=-1]Seeking Alpha
If the season is skipped altogether, then DTV will not charge subscribers at ... The company is popular because it offers commercial free radio stations. ...
[/SIZE]

Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,056,449 times
We ditched cable completely and have Netflix. Our bill is about 20 a month and we couldn't be happier.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM

7,649 posts, read 8,094,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanrush View Post
Hey, good the hear that someone else gets the broadcast free antenna tv in HD ota ... awesome stuff, hunh?

With the NFL negotiations being at an impasse, wouldn't it stand to reason that it's a great time to switch to the free ota broadcast antenna tv? It's not worth paying $600 dollars a year for cable and sports packages to not watch those beloved sports. Crazy again, esp. now, to pay for something you can get for FREE! Hello? I get all the sports I need ota on broadcast channels. Plus, you get lots of commercial free PBS which is the only tv worth watching. Not only is it commercial free but it's true quality tv - everything else is noisy mindrot.
All a matter of personal preference.

For example I dont get to see my hockey team play without Directv. "Noisy mindrot" is also relative.

Certainly glad your choice works for you. It wouldnt for me.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Tony, why not switch to free tv? Most don't know about it because it was kept secret by those mega-media-giants. Remember the switch to digital from analog? I get it and love it and not just because there's no bill. Even if you don't switch to the free ota (over-the-air) knowledge of this can be an excellent leverage tool to negotiate a very low rate. Just tell them that you are about to cancel your "service" and sit back and watch them squirm. You could really have fun with it.

But, if you just want to make the switch and start getting better tv for free, you'll need a few basic pieces of info before buying your antenna ... plus, you'll need to clear your mind of the cable mentality because the mistake most people make is that they compare it to the free stuff and there are few similarities. Let me know if you are tired of paying and want to take back your power. Internet is no problem, nor is having more than one tv. I've got it and love, plus it's better for many reasons but the best reason is that the picture quality is HD and I don't have to pay for it. There are many myths and assumptions about free tv, that is for those who happen to get it. There's a right and a wrong way to go about setting it up. Most aren't optimizing or maximizing their experience due to incomplete information. For instance, the really good antennas aren't available in stores locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio