Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM

545 posts, read 1,059,890 times

Advertisements

Our connection speed dropped from ~220KBps to ~28KBps about 3 weeks ago and hasn't budged since. We've been through all the trouble shooting routines and the problem is clearly on the provider's end. I'm reading on their forums that other San Antonio folks have had issue - how about anyone here? We're this >close< to dropping the service and fighting them on the cancellation penalty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,977,200 times
Ours kept going in and out. We moved the router to a bigger window (we're within a mile of 3 towers) and it's been fine since. When I called, the girl blamed it on the trees being full of leaves (we do have TONS of trees in my neighborhood) and she said when the leaves start faliing we'll get our speed back. Not really happy with that answer but hate TW so much we're sticking with them for now.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM

95 posts, read 232,033 times
we had so many problems with clear. apparently the house is in a weird position considering where the towers are. we called at least 8 times in less than a month and we had to really really fight them on canceling. they did not want to budge and kept offering a technician to come look at it. we were constantly troubleshooting.

we finally were able to cancel and they were supposed to waive their cancellation fee when they received the hardware but we never got a refund.

after all the trouble it didn't even matter. we ended up with time warner and have had no problems since.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:52 AM

545 posts, read 1,059,890 times
Well, I filed complaints with the BBB and the FTC. Looks like the next step is canceling the service. :-P

Old 09-29-2010, 10:52 AM

321 posts, read 1,067,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Our connection speed dropped from ~220KBps to ~28KBps about 3 weeks ago and hasn't budged since. We've been through all the trouble shooting routines and the problem is clearly on the provider's end. I'm reading on their forums that other San Antonio folks have had issue - how about anyone here? We're this >close< to dropping the service and fighting them on the cancellation penalty.

Is Clear the same thing as ClearWire? I don't have this service, but if you have been a heavy user you might be getting subjected to throttling as mentioned in the below article I just bumped into.

Clearwire throttling at-home WiMAX users? -- Engadget

Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,814,552 times
Clear IS Clearwire and yes, they are throttling accounts... Down to speeds that are ridiculously slow.

Not only would I file a claim with the BBB, but immediately cancel my service and look elsewhere for 'everywhere wireless.'

BN

Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,820,168 times
Althought TWC has rubbed me wrong on a couple occasions, I will say my wireless internet service is pretty good. We'd been having problems with our router intermittently disconnecting and then taking forever to reconnect. Called TWC and got a newer model router and no problems so far. Happy with the speeds and everything.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:12 PM

81 posts, read 188,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
Althought TWC has rubbed me wrong on a couple occasions, I will say my wireless internet service is pretty good. We'd been having problems with our router intermittently disconnecting and then taking forever to reconnect. Called TWC and got a newer model router and no problems so far. Happy with the speeds and everything.
TWC provided you with a router?, Last time I had their services they just provided a modem only, I had to buy my own router. I now have ATT uverse which they did provide a modem/router, no problems ever.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,152,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightball View Post
TWC provided you with a router?, Last time I had their services they just provided a modem only, I had to buy my own router. I now have ATT uverse which they did provide a modem/router, no problems ever.
I just moved and got Time Warner internet and they provided a Wireless Router.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:48 PM

144 posts, read 359,593 times
I think Time-Warner offers both wireless routers for their regular wired service, but also now they are reselling Clearwire's wireless broadband under their name as well.

FWIW, we tried Clear, got consistently poor speeds, and then canceled. At the moment, we're stuck with AT&T DSL, but hoping to move to Grande Communication's 12Mbit plan if we can figure out a way to run the wire to our house in a way that is not ugly... (Our power and cable taps are on opposite side of house from the closest pole.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio