Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,375 times

Advertisements

Now I am having a Guinness about to start painting the house again. Slainte aka Cheers

YouTube - ‪The Pogues With The Dubliners‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:20 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default I will help paint,

If cab fare is provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Now I am having a Guinness about to start painting the house again. Slainte aka Cheers

YouTube - ‪The Pogues With The Dubliners‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Default A Poor area,

Is not a ghetto. I guess you have to visit to appreciate this.
San Antonio does not have a ghetto. A run down area is not a ghetto.
A certain mentality permeates, a defeatist hoplessness the air in one, a pathos. If you cannot see this and identify with it you will not understand the
difference.
This is the difference, the decay adds to it , San Antonio does not have it.If the stats cannot demonstrate it and you cannot fathom it I cannot explain it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
My point is that ghettos do not have to be falling apart. A ghetto can suffer from urban decay, but it doesn't have to suffer from urban decay in order to be considered a ghetto. Not all areas suffering from urban decay are ghettos. Those two can come hand in hand or separately. Detroit is falling apart because its economy has collapsed. Again, a ghetto does not have to be falling apart to be classified as a ghetto. You are honestly telling me that San Antonio does not have segregated areas? Look at the ethnic groups that are in Stone Oak and Alamo Heights in comparison to the east and south sides. If there is de facto segregation in Detroit, then it was a ghetto before the economic downturn which takes me back to the point that ghettos do not always suffer from urban decay. There used to be a lot of good paying jobs in Detroit. You keep on telling everyone else that they are using the term ghetto improperly, but you are too. No one's arguing that San Antonio is worse than Detroit or that Detroit doesn't have serious problems, but you act as if a neighborhood has to be deteriorating like Detroit in order to be classified as a ghetto. That is not the case. If you're going to try to correct everyone's use of "ghetto," you have to use it correctly yourself. You were the one to introduce semantics. Other than that, I really have no idea what you're talking about anymore. You went off on an irrelevant tangent.

I am not naive. I grew up around drug dealers, prostitutes, and gangbangers in the projects and Section 8 apartments.

This is so true.

Ghetto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2011, 11:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Is not a ghetto. I guess you have to visit to appreciate this.
San Antonio does not have a ghetto. A run down area is not a ghetto.
A certain mentality permeates, a defeatist hoplessness the air in one, a pathos. If you cannot see this and identify with it you will not understand the
difference.
This is the difference, the decay adds to it , San Antonio does not have it.If the stats cannot demonstrate it and you cannot fathom it I cannot explain it here.
a ghetto is a section of a city occupied by a group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

this description fits the south, east and west sides perfectly. people live there due to economic pressure (IE they cant afford to live in the nice areas).

next!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Sorry Huckster just finished off the last of the beers, but I appreciate the offer. I did however get the outside of the house painted. You see drinking is okay when you handle it like you are supposed to. But do not fear because I have two bottles of Crown Royal in the freezer for tonight's baseball game. No driving...plenty of boozing yee-haw!!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
this description fits the south, east and west sides perfectly. people live there due to economic pressure (IE they cant afford to live in the nice areas).

next!
Do you think every single person who chooses to live on those sides of town does so because they are broke and can't afford to live anywhere else?

Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
all of the ghetto ones do

couldn't resist..

and these ghetto definitions are annoying. For most of us, myself included, it's a slang term meant to suit our own personal definition. I do that with all sorts of words, like gay and b i t c h for example.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM

LOL! This guy/girl is on a roll!!! I love it!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Default I also,

Do not believe this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
a ghetto is a section of a city occupied by a group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure.

next!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Question about house painting,

Look at the results of the Guinness paint job tomorrow morning , sober, and let us know how it looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Sorry Huckster just finished off the last of the beers, but I appreciate the offer. I did however get the outside of the house painted. You see drinking is okay when you handle it like you are supposed to. But do not fear because I have two bottles of Crown Royal in the freezer for tonight's baseball game. No driving...plenty of boozing yee-haw!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio