Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times

Advertisements

When I left my mom's house tonight there were TONS of police cars down Culebra Rd, right where Benrus and Griggs meet with Culebra...

I called DH right away to see what was going on... He checked into it and called back to let me know that a toddler was hit by a car...

The initial information did not say that it was an SAPD car that hit the boy and that he was then hit by yet a 2nd vehicle...

So very sad and tragic for everyone involved...

Police: Toddler Struck, Killed By SAPD Patrol Car, Another Vehicle - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/28134365/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:19 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
I hope they thoroughly investigate the father.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Hopefully everything is thoroughly investigated including if others were driving the speed limit and whether there was any distracted driving and that these details are not merely swept under the rug.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:38 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
What a tragedy

Poor innocent little child

Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
A child that age should have been in bed by 9 p.m.

Both drivers could be found at fault, but that's a funny time of night (dusk) and a child that age is short so they might not have been able to see him, just like a dog or other animals that get run over regularly.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
The things kids at that age can do is amazing. I raised two of them and we tried our hardest to keep them safe, but they always find some way to do something insanely dangerous. One I'll never forget was my two somehow welding a fork into a circuit breaker. It was in their bedroom closet (probably not the most brilliant place for one) up at a normal level for one of those, but somehow they found a way to get up to it, open it, and stuck a fork in one of them. I believe we were cooking dinner and they were in their room playing quietly (yes, I know quiet kids are usually kids getting into trouble) and we heard this strange noise followed by two screams and a lot of crying. We didn't see that coming and I doubt anyone would see it coming. They do things like that.

This was most likely just an awful tragedy and there are at least three people probably wishing they were dead instead of that kid right now. I can't even imagine what the cop, the other driver, and the father are going through right now.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:07 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Deer, dogs, squirrels, dumb kids chasing a ball, tweens playing dangerous games along the highway, and suicidal adults have all been known to dart in front of a passing car or in the case of a dog chase after one but I cannot imagine a toddler doing the same. They are called toddlers because they toddle after all.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
Even under the best of circumstances, it's hard to keep tabs on toddlers. This is a real tragedy. If the parents weren't drunk or stoned or whatever, then it's going to be with them for the rest of their lives. I'm really undecided on the notion that prosecuting parents for something that's an accident(if that in fact is what happened) is the right thing to do.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
This seems to happen a lot in this town. Everyone here seems to be in such a rush to get married and have kids at such a young age, and they don't even know how to take care of them! I'll take some heat for this, but now here's another innocent kid that didn't live to see preschool. I'm angry because I'm sick of hearing news like this! Agreed he should have been in bed at that time. There's no excuse for it. I see kids out at 10:30 at HEB ON SCHOOL NIGHTS, with bare feet and the parents think it's fine. I feel so sorry for the family. No one ever heals from something like this.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
A child that age should have been in bed by 9 p.m.
My kids never had a 9pm bedtime until they were old enough to go to school. Toddlers take naps during the day (that's when busy mommies have time to clean the house) and so they don't always need to go to sleep as early as kids who go to school.

I don't think the father, or the driver of either vehicle, should be blamed (unless it's proved that there was some sort of neglect or distracted driving). This sounds like a terrible accident, and sometimes an accident is just an accident...no one to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio