Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM

106 posts, read 461,397 times

Advertisements

OK...Since joining the forum I've heard a lot of different things from different people around the city and I just wanted to give my insight about a wonderful neighborhood. Since moving from home I truly miss my old neighborhood - King William/Southtown. Others and myself used to brag about how good we had it there; beautiful homes, great bars, restaurants, art, theatre, and the most wonderful people you'd ever meet. You rarely have to use a vehicle (most people insist on walking or biking) to get from one place to another. First Friday is a blast and the King William Fair during Fiesta is the best event to take place. People there are from different parts of the country from different ethnicities and cultures which compliment the neighborhood to the highest degree. If you ever get a chance, drop by and try it out for a day. If you ever stop by La Tuna tell them I said "Hi!"...by the way, La Tuna is celebrating their 15th anniversary this summer...They're supposed to have a huge celebration next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 AM

87 posts, read 294,004 times
I love hanging out in Southtown on First Friday, it's a wonderful part of this city. I havn't been to La Tuna yet so I'll try to go next First Friday.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:05 AM

454 posts, read 500,234 times
Here here! We live in Lavaca (King William's Servants Quarters) and love it. Wouldn't live anywhere else in San Antonio.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:58 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,163,893 times
I absolutely loved the Kaiser Wilhelm(I know everyone calls it King William but I perfer the original name.lol)district in SA when I visited SA in 2003 and 2004. Lots of charm and good places to eat.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,819,078 times
Southtown is growing to be the "in" area of SA. King William is way too expensive, but people have discovered they can buy a King William style house in Southtown and fix it up and it's just the same with lower taxes and less tourism looking around. The shops and stores in the area are those eclectic places that are good hang outs and nice walking around areas.
I'm afraid it was undiscovered but someone let the word out.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Southtown is growing to be the "in" area of SA. King William is way too expensive, but people have discovered they can buy a King William style house in Southtown and fix it up and it's just the same with lower taxes and less tourism looking around. The shops and stores in the area are those eclectic places that are good hang outs and nice walking around areas.

Yeah, our taxes are going through the roof. It's starting to push out a lot of lower income long time residents, unfortunately.

Old 09-29-2007, 04:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,880,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I would love to live in an area like that, but my other half would sooner cut off his nose. He's a cookie-cutter lover, and we clash constantly!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:16 PM

154 posts, read 629,292 times
We've been looking (basically driving around being nosy and trying not to annoy people by using their driveways to turn around) along South Presa and South Flores and their side streets. We really like the vibe of the area, and it's on our list for where we end up. :-) No cookie cutters for me - I can't WAIT to get out of homogenous suburbia!

We plan on heading out to First Friday this time around, maybe meet some locals and pick their brains.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 PM

To meet locals, hang out at places like Taco Haven and MadHatters on non-First Fridays. First Friday is great fun, and the locals usually get out, but it's often a lot of non-locals so it may be hard to meet us ;-)

Actually, Sat or Sun am at Taco Haven is the *best* time to meet the locals. Or walk around (don't drive) and stop and talk to everyone hanging out in their yards/on the porch. It's amazing how many people stop to chat while we're outside.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,714 times
Smile Re: SA WALKS

Occasionally, we like to play tourist. Heard some good things from people about a walking tour company. Finally found out, simply enough,they were called San Antonio Walks. Having done just about every tour here but them, we decided give them a go. WOW! All I can say is, I'm alot prouder of our History. Never related like those people do. Anyway, we studied a bit about KW area and thought we'd take the usual stroll with the pamphlet as we'd done before and find new thing perhaps? But at the end of our walking tour the guide told us they do KW tours as well. Thought we'd go it on our own but after how good the walking tour of the city was we decided to rethink it and try them out. Excellent insights and version of the area. They said they were kinda new on the KW thing and needed to get better. Well I guess they must have high stnadards because we loved it as it was another unique angle on the same stuff we'd visited over and over again much like the city tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio