U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM

547 posts, read 1,045,592 times

Advertisements

I found a house I'm interested in buying in the New Braunfels area.
I'd like to have it checked out by a qualified 'House Inspector' first.

I'm not sure if I should go with a 'House Inspector' recommended by the Real Estate Agent or try to find one on my own?
Has anyone had recent experience.

Also .... are there certain areas of NB that are considered higher crime areas than others (like San Antonio) ?

Suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 04:30 PM

437 posts, read 776,871 times
Do you have your own agent or are you referring to the listing agent?

Last edited by sshurgot; 06-11-2011 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Correct typo

Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
It's MY opinion that 99% of the "appraisers" are idiots that can't swing a hammer without hitting themselves on the head, so they go around acting like they're quailified to pass judgement on houses because they drove by a construction site. I can't tell you how many times I've see stuff pass that a blind man would've caught - but they DID find some little non-consequential stuff.

Personally, find someone that's pretty knowledgeable about handyman type things, give them $1-200, and have them evaluate it as if THEY were buying it. Sure - they might miss stuff still, but odds are that they'll catch some of the stuff.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 PM

149 posts, read 353,658 times
Couey Inspections in Kerrville is very good. They may drive to New Braunfels for you.

830-496-1093

Old 06-12-2011, 07:46 AM

An appraiser isn't the same as an inspector. The appraiser analyses the value of the house for the mortgage company, the goal being to protect the lender from lending too much. The appraiser will swing by and take a couple of pics but won't spend several hours examining the house inside and out.

The inspector is someone who is hired by the buyer to conduct a detailed inspection of the house. A typical inspection report is about 30 to 40 pages long. The inspector goes through electrical systems, plumbing, HVAC, foundation and roof, major appliances, looks for evidence of deferred maintenance (and wear and tear), etc. and will point out anything that's not up to current code. A good inspector is very thorough and a handyman may not be equipped to give an accurate report on all of those things. Inspections usually run $250 to $350 depending on the size of the house (and it could certainly be higher for a huge mansion).

I've never heard of an inspection that didn't reveal at least a few issues, even on a brand new house. If the contract is written properly, the buyer can ask for the seller to make repairs (or if the house is falling apart the buyer can back out of the deal - IF the contract is written properly). I once represented a buyer who had the seller put a new roof on a house before closing because the inspection had uncovered major issues.

The reason I insist on the fact that the contract must be written properly goes back to my original question: do you have your own agent? Because that listing agent is NOT working for you.

All that being said, I always advise my clients to get the inspection for their own protection.

Last edited by sshurgot; 06-12-2011 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Semantics

Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM

1,983 posts, read 6,027,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
An appraiser isn't the same as an inspector. The appraiser analyses the value of the house for the mortgage company, the goal being to protect the lender from lending too much. The appraiser will swing by and take a couple of pics but won't spend several hours examining the house inside and out.

The inspector is someone who is hired by the buyer to conduct a detailed inspection of the house. A typical inspection report is about 30 to 40 pages long. The inspector goes through electrical systems, plumbing, HVAC, foundation and roof, major appliances, looks for evidence of deferred maintenance (and wear and tear), etc. and will point out anything that's not up to current code. A good inspector is very thorough and a handyman may not be equipped to give an accurate report on all of those things. Inspections usually run $250 to $350 depending on the size of the house (and it could certainly be higher for a huge mansion).

I've never heard of an inspection that didn't reveal at least a few issues, even on a brand new house. If the contract is written properly, the buyer can ask for the seller to make repairs (or if the house is falling apart the buyer can back out of the deal - IF the contract is written properly). I once represented a buyer who had the seller put a new roof on a house before closing because the inspection had uncovered major issues.

The reason I insist on the fact that the contract must be written properly goes back to my original question: do you have your own agent? Because that listing agent is NOT working for you.

All that being said, I always advise my clients to get the inspection for their own protection.
Good advice however I would like to offer one correction and one addition.

The cost of an inspection is calculated differently by different Inspectors. Every Inspector knows what they are worth (literally) and you can get an inspection as cheaply as $250. But the more thorough Inspectors will be much more than this and it can easily pass $350 even for a home that is not a "huge mansion". There is a lot of work that goes into properly performing and reporting on any home inspection. The cheaper the price the less they work.

As for the comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Personally, find someone that's pretty knowledgeable about handyman type things, give them $1-200, and have them evaluate it as if THEY were buying it. Sure - they might miss stuff still, but odds are that they'll catch some of the stuff.
You are more than welcome to hire anyone you want to inspect the home you are about to purchase. However the State of Texas requires any person that performs an inspection for the buyer or seller of a home, or even anyone considering buying or selling a home, and anyone that advertises such services to be a licensed Professional Inspector. The license is issued by The Texas Real Estate Commission.

If you utilize other than a licensed Professional Inspector then you, and your Agent, risks the following:
  • The Agent can not knowingly allow a person to represent themselves as a Home Inspector and must report that individual to TREC. If they do not they can face loss of their license.
  • If you hire an unlicensed person and later have an issue with them or their work you are completely on your own. TREC will do nothing to assist you in any way as they have little control over unlicensed Inspectors. If you take this person to court the courts will turn their heads as well. You hire them at your own risk.
Good luck on your search.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Good advice however I would like to offer one correction and one addition.

The cost of an inspection is calculated differently by different Inspectors. Every Inspector knows what they are worth (literally) and you can get an inspection as cheaply as $250. But the more thorough Inspectors will be much more than this and it can easily pass $350 even for a home that is not a "huge mansion". There is a lot of work that goes into properly performing and reporting on any home inspection. The cheaper the price the less they work.
Yes it's a lot of work. Many buyers don't realize that the inspector is there for hours. And some are more thorough than others, though in my experience it hasn't been price-related (admittedly, I don't remember a client ever choosing the really cheap guy).

Do you inspect in SA? Or are you in the Dallas/Ft. Forth area?

Old 06-12-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
Yes it's a lot of work. Many buyers don't realize that the inspector is there for hours. And some are more thorough than others, though in my experience it hasn't been price-related (admittedly, I don't remember a client ever choosing the really cheap guy).

Do you inspect in SA? Or are you in the Dallas/Ft. Forth area?
I inspect anywhere in Texas a client needs an inspection. That would include SA if they choose to pay a travel charge. I have had clients that that do pay the travel charges.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:55 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
You are more than welcome to hire anyone you want to inspect the home you are about to purchase. However the State of Texas requires any person that performs an inspection for the buyer or seller of a home, or even anyone considering buying or selling a home, and anyone that advertises such services to be a licensed Professional Inspector. The license is issued by The Texas Real Estate Commission.

If you utilize other than a licensed Professional Inspector then you, and your Agent, risks the following:
  • The Agent can not knowingly allow a person to represent themselves as a Home Inspector and must report that individual to TREC. If they do not they can face loss of their license.
  • If you hire an unlicensed person and later have an issue with them or their work you are completely on your own. TREC will do nothing to assist you in any way as they have little control over unlicensed Inspectors. If you take this person to court the courts will turn their heads as well. You hire them at your own risk.
Good luck on your search.
.....and I'd have no issue w/any of that - except that as I understand it, the inspector has no legal liability for anything they miss, do they? THAT is where I have heartburn - and why, frankly, I don't think they're worth their fees. If they're going to charge a professional fee (which I would otherwise agree would be well worth it), then they should be liable for anything they overlook.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
.....and I'd have no issue w/any of that - except that as I understand it, the inspector has no legal liability for anything they miss, do they? THAT is where I have heartburn - and why, frankly, I don't think they're worth their fees. If they're going to charge a professional fee (which I would otherwise agree would be well worth it), then they should be liable for anything they overlook.
Before I answer the remainder of your questions, of which I can, I would like to ask you one thing. What do you consider a proper "professional fee" for a home inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or