U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I got the Queen Size Barryton Plush for $599. It is $699 online, but $100 in the store.

Costco - Barryton Plush Queen Mattress

It was a set, mattress and box spring.

I bought a Novaform memory foam mattress a year and a half ago from Costco and liked it a lot. One day when I was changing the sheets, I noticed a rip in the mattress cover. Costco is the BEST for taking things back. I took it back, got a FULL refund (no questions asked), and fully intended on buying another memory foam mattress. They were out of queen size memory foam, so I opted for the Posturepedic Barryton, and am glad I did. It is the most comfortable, restful mattress I ever slept on, plus it's easier to get out of than a memory foam, and it sleeps much cooler. Memory foam mattresses sleep hot.

You just can't beat Costco!
Do you have to be a "member" of Costco to get this deal in store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,015,306 times
Yes, the membership is $50 a year, but WELL worth it. They sell the highest quality products for less. Costco is WAY better than Sam's Club, and Consumer Reports rates Costco very highly.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
I realize this is way over the $500 budget, but I'd also like to point out that those budget ones don't really save you any money in the long run. I paid about $2500 for my last Serta and it lasted 10 years. Prior to that, I bought budget ones and ended up trading them in every couple years and never really felt very comfortable on it.
I bought this one last year at Lacks: Sealy | Embody by Sealy Latex Foam Mattresses (http://sealy.com/Mattress-Brands/Embody-by-Sealy/Latex-Foam.aspx - broken link) which you obviously can't do anymore thanks to them going out of business. It may seem like it's crazy expensive (and it was), but also definitely worth every penny. With this mattress, you basically lay down and you're asleep. I never toss and turn or even remember falling asleep. I'm just gone almost instantly and that includes when I'm trying to stay awake to watch a TV show.
BTW, I got the latex over memory foam because I liike sleeping on the mattress instead of in it.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:43 PM

604 posts, read 1,369,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I realize this is way over the $500 budget, but I'd also like to point out that those budget ones don't really save you any money in the long run. I paid about $2500 for my last Serta and it lasted 10 years. Prior to that, I bought budget ones and ended up trading them in every couple years and never really felt very comfortable on it.
I bought this one last year at Lacks: Sealy | Embody by Sealy Latex Foam Mattresses (http://sealy.com/Mattress-Brands/Embody-by-Sealy/Latex-Foam.aspx - broken link) which you obviously can't do anymore thanks to them going out of business. It may seem like it's crazy expensive (and it was), but also definitely worth every penny. With this mattress, you basically lay down and you're asleep. I never toss and turn or even remember falling asleep. I'm just gone almost instantly and that includes when I'm trying to stay awake to watch a TV show.
BTW, I got the latex over memory foam because I liike sleeping on the mattress instead of in it.
Rd- would you say that this is a "firm" mattress? I need something that is not too firm, due to back problems.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM

UPDATE:

I think I have found the mattress of my dreams and at an awesome price too. I was at Sam's Club (I'm not a member) yesterday. They had 3 mattresses on display to lay on and try out. My favorite was the Serta Cushion Firm Eurotop Queen Mattress for $399.00. The corresponding Serta Queen Boxspring is $122.00.

Here's the great part though: according to a Sam's employee, he's aware of an "upcoming" special (he thinks it's on the 4th of July but he is not 100% sure) where the boxspring and the mattress, as a set, will be discounted to $389.99. Delivery for both is a flat rate of $60.00.

So I'll be calling Sam's over the next several weeks to see when that price drops. Of course, I'll become a member too in order to make that purchase.

*Excited*

Old 06-19-2011, 12:54 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Rd- would you say that this is a "firm" mattress? I need something that is not too firm, due to back problems.
Firm in an incredibly comfortable way. Latex is the one you feel like you're sleeping on and memory foam is the one you sleep in. That's the best way to think about the difference between the two. There's also no sinking and no disturbing the person next to you. My wife tends to get up and go to the bathroom and then plop back in the bed. I can't feel it with this bed.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM

211 posts, read 425,824 times
I bought a mattress from Denver Mattress for my daughter and she loves it. It was about $450. Both my parents gave me the recommendations after they switched.

Denver Mattress Company 1-866 Dr Choice: Arapahoe Euro Top Queen Mattress Set : MS-DMAPNETQ

Old 06-25-2011, 06:17 PM

311 posts, read 745,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmac View Post
We spent some time searching for mattresses recently for my daughter and had a good experience at Just Mattresses on Culebra. It's a small shop and no designer names, but we got a good deal for a nice mattress set.
I came looking on city-data today before setting out on our search for a new mattress. I'm so happy I saw this post! We went over to this place - what a sweet family I'm glad to be buying from a small Texas business & their products are made in Texas too!
Thank you!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:22 PM

242 posts, read 592,803 times
We love our Denver Mattress. The Dr Choice is one of their higher-end products - we went for a less expensive model and have no complaints.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:44 PM

Update #2:

I decided to go in a totally different direction!

I purchased a memory foam mattress instead from
Amazon.com>> Amazon.com: Sleep Innovations 10-inch Sure Temp Memory Foam Mattress - Queen Size: Home & Garden

One-day UPS shipping for my 90-pound mattress-in-a-box was ONLY $3.99, yes, three-dollars and ninety-nine cents! I have "Amazon Prime"; if you have that membership you automatically can get one-day shipping at that price.

I also purchased the bedframe on Amazon.com with one-day $3.99 shipping as well >> Amazon.com: Structures by Malouf HIGHRISE Folding Metal Bed Frame 14" High Bi-Fold Platform Base, QUEEN: Home & Garden

Last night was my first night in the mattress and I slept like a king!!!

I've attached some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
It's the dreaded time to buy a new mattress set. So many brands, places and comfort types. Suggestions?-imag0034.jpg   It's the dreaded time to buy a new mattress set. So many brands, places and comfort types. Suggestions?-2.jpg   It's the dreaded time to buy a new mattress set. So many brands, places and comfort types. Suggestions?-3.jpg   It's the dreaded time to buy a new mattress set. So many brands, places and comfort types. Suggestions?-4.jpg   It's the dreaded time to buy a new mattress set. So many brands, places and comfort types. Suggestions?-5.jpg  

It's the dreaded time to buy a new mattress set. So many brands, places and comfort types. Suggestions?-6.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or