Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Your personal experience differs from mine. And really, it doesn't sound like you had "quality" stuff broken into. Not personally attacking either but it sounds like your cars were old and "crappy" to use your words - Korean POS? Stock Honda that wasn't running? Doesn't sound like quality to me.
well, since hondas arent korean cars, i have no idea why youre saying that either one of the hondas i had broken into wasnt running.

what im saying is the stuff i had was obviously more desirable to the thieves, whereas the stuff you had obviously wasnt. sure, the civic and korean pos car i had werent quality, but the 'teg i had still makes most modern cars look rather ugly.

AFAIK thieves dont steal crappy cars (cept that korean car i had. no idea why they stole that clunker).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Never been broken into but then again we do a few things that will keep you safe ANYWHERE:

do not leave stuff out in site to "entice" those searching for something to take
lock our doors and ensure there is NOTHING more than a box of tissues visible
don't do anything to draw special attention to our cars, no special rims, gadgets or sound systems
have an ALARM system on our cars

Deterrents and PRUDENT advice. If you have a specially equipped "ricer" you are just asking for trouble from like minded folks.
well, stock hondas really aren't considered ricers, except by ignorant people who assume that all hondas are ricers

mind you, when my cars were broken into, the area was well lit, hidden from street view, cars had nothing valuable in them.. no radios, no subs/amps, no spare parts, nada.

Moderator cut: orphaned

pps - i really love your way of thinking. if i don't want my cars broken into/stolen, don't put custom rims on them, don't put a nice sound system in it, don't put a gps or anything neat in it. leave it dull, boring, stock and you might not have your stuff broken into! may as well sign the title over to a thief now, rather than live in fear of my car getting stolen when it has nice stuff in it *eyeroll*

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-01-2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: orphaned - sp. correction

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
I prefer a stock car with very minor customization where others would not even notice. We have only been victimized once, because I had to work and park on a bad side of town (Midtown a block away from the Pearl before the revival lol) but the thieves got nothing because we leave nothing of value within.

They broke a window and while my co-worker had an older model Camaro, which they just pulled back the window to open it, they took his pull-out radio, I had my detachable face on my person so they got nothing, but at least his window was not broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Never been broken into but then again we do a few things that will keep you safe ANYWHERE:

do not leave stuff out in site to "entice" those searching for something to take
lock our doors and ensure there is NOTHING more than a box of tissues visible
don't do anything to draw special attention to our cars, no special rims, gadgets or sound systems
have an ALARM system on our cars

Deterrents and PRUDENT advice. If you have a specially equipped "ricer" you are just asking for trouble from like minded folks.
Paka, that is not only prudent advice, it is security-minded, and is exactly what is recommended by those in law enforcement. Rims if also done wrong will appear very ghetto as does tinted windows which also invite thieves if too dark because they want to know what is behind the tint they cannot see, so hope they have a flashlight since if not they will break in to take a look-see.

GPS units, hide them, leave not even hanging cords, hide shopping bags, hide everything!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-01-2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: updated quote

Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
crime stats are tweaked in many places. (like here) city management want to give the "correct" appearance
by comparison, SA appears to be honest.
I like SA very much. admitting the problem is the 1st step towards healing it.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

Paka, that is not only prudent advice, it is security-minded, and is exactly what is recommended by those in law enforcement. Rims if also done wrong will appear very ghetto as does tinted windows which also invite thieves if too dark because they want to know what is behind the tint they cannot see, so hope they have a flashlight since if not they will break in to take a look-see.

GPS units, hide them, leave not even hanging cords, hide shopping bags, hide everything!
bolded - duh. also, i would add that you could keep a cloth in the car and wipe away the imprint the suction cup leaves. thats just as good a tell-tale as leaving the unit out in the open.

tinted windows? really? im sure you know how hot it gets here. rims, idc about since i dont like rims that look like they're riding on rubber bands...

/get my windows tinted, keep the heat out and live in fear that my car might get broken into...

Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Cars don't take that long to cool but to each their own when it comes to balancing security, comfort, and aesthetics, and rightly so, these are very personal matters when it comes down to it.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
AFAIK thieves dont steal crappy cars (cept that korean car i had. no idea why they stole that clunker).
Actually, crappy cars are stolen all the time. Usually the attract less attention from the police thus making them more desirable to thieves.

But this whole conversation is ridiculous, no one ever claimed there was no crime in San Antonio; just that for a city of its size the rate is considerably lower than would be expected. That is a statistical fact, and while a few may have been victims of thieves the vast majority of people here have never experienced it.

I challenge anyone to show me a city of the size of San Antonio that is safer than it.

The bottom line is that fears of crime in this city are unfounded, San Antonio is a very safe city to live in if you just practice a little common sense in where you live and your activities...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
practice a little common sense
In San Antonio?

nm I forgot it was April Fool's Day! Good one there (^_~)

Old 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Actually, crappy cars are stolen all the time. Usually the attract less attention from the police thus making them more desirable to thieves.

But this whole conversation is ridiculous, no one ever claimed there was no crime in San Antonio; just that for a city of its size the rate is considerably lower than would be expected. That is a statistical fact, and while a few may have been victims of thieves the vast majority of people here have never experienced it.

I challenge anyone to show me a city of the size of San Antonio that is safer than it.

The bottom line is that fears of crime in this city are unfounded, San Antonio is a very safe city to live in if you just practice a little common sense in where you live and your activities...

Cheers! M2
maybe. austin's getting close to us in size and only one side (east and especially east along MLK) is crappy.

re: common sense... LOL yeah you cant really practice common sense in a city thats 3/4ths undesirable unless you live in that 1/4th that is (and costs a bit more than the other sections).

to each his own, we will have to agree to disagree.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Live on the northside just east of 281 and 1604. I lock my doors at night, lock my car in my garage. I have not been a victim of a property/violent crime in my six years here. Use common sense and pick a good area. You will be fine. How old is this thread again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio