U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 AM

7,651 posts, read 8,106,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
By a group of people that weren't satisfied with the status quo and did something about it.
And that is not the same how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,306,140 times
ummm, there's a country to the south of the US (several of them actually, but only one acting as an actual illegal entry point) where the people are not satisfied with their status quo, so they flee to the north and illegally enter another country.

Huge difference there...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,185,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah TX View Post
Again, I am not talking about immigrants. I am talking about natural-born citizens, like myself.
i already addressed this point. im natural born, brown and am not scared that the cops will profile me. in fact, when they run my plates, all they will see is simple moving violations, nothing more.

Quote:
This is a cop-out. How a state law will be implemented and enforced is more important than the text of the law itself. I can not support a bill which does not clearly state how it will be implemented.

Furthermore, to prevent racial profiling the status of every person must be checked. This is the only way to ensure that English-speaking illegal immigrants aren't slipping through the cracks.

Edited to add: An illegal immigrant can hold a driver's license that appears to be valid, if they are established as a permanent resident and that status is later revoked.
not a cop out. its the truth. when the law is enacted, proper training will ensue and programs will be readily available to assist the police in determining the status of whomever they pulled over.

this law also says that they cannot check your status unless they have you detained. so, if youre a good little citizen who doesnt get arrested and ticketed, you really have zero to worry about.

racial profiling works. just look at Israel. im not sure why there is such hatred and animosity towards a system proven to work and cut down on crime, but hey, if you've got a better solution, lets hear it.

/the profiling issue could easily be averted with code added to their existing software that automatically checks for the status of their citizenship.
//the drivers license will show as revoked/expired if their green card expires.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM

486 posts, read 869,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
ummm, there's a country to the south of the US (several of them actually, but only one acting as an actual illegal entry point) where the people are not satisfied with their status quo, so they flee to the north and illegally enter another country.

Huge difference there...
If you look at the map, you'll notice that there is only ONE country with direct land access to the US south of the border. So, if anyone wants to enter by land from ANY country in Latin America, they have to do it through Mexico.

Now, again, most illegals are from Mexico, no question about it. That's why we should just accept that we'll do racial profiling when applying this law. Let's not pretend we won't...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
a better solution would be to apply draconian mexican immigration law, no?
Can you explain your draconinan Mexican immigration law please? Don't want to comment on something I don't understand.

I'm 100% AGAINST illegal immigration. I'm also 100% against supporting laws that give the police in Texas discretion to harrass american citizens based on the color of their skin. Until we can have the super powerful database you are talking about (which I'm OK with) I can bet you anything that it will be enforced based on race...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
im natural born, brown and am not scared that the cops will profile me..
If you look African American, then you don't have anything to worry about...but if you look "Mexican", beware...

By the way, I really hope they don't profile based on the typical "stereotype" of what a Mexican looks like or they may miss many. S lot of recent Mexican immigrants, particulary the wealthy ones (which may or may not be legally here) look very white, and may even speak good English.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM

816 posts, read 1,475,750 times
Quote:
failure to produce a drivers license or proof of insurance (even if you lost it, youre still in the system and everyone i know has their txdl memorized)
What about passengers? (Just a question) If the driver is pulled over for something, will they also have to provide "proof"? I ask because my wife (native Texan) did not get her driver's license until her mid-20's - she had always used VIA (yes, even way out to UTSA).

Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,747 times
Good thing I am 6'1', white as hell, with a shaved head! Only thing I am getting confused with is a skinhead! Oh btw guess who is picking up the bill teaching kids of illegals in districts throughout the county? Your, and mine, property taxes plus all the other fees incorporated with running schools. Had quite a few esl kids in the class this past year. Good thing I don't really care about immigration though. Now who is ready for Rick Perry to go away hahahaha!!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,306,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
If you look at the map, you'll notice that there is only ONE country with direct land access to the US south of the border. So, if anyone wants to enter by land from ANY country in Latin America, they have to do it through Mexico.

Now, again, most illegals are from Mexico, no question about it. That's why we should just accept that we'll do racial profiling when applying this law. Let's not pretend we won't...
so tell me more about this mexican race you speak of. I've never heard of it and would love some enlightenment; I'm sure I'm not alone either...

and there are other ways into the country, including boats and planes, and there's no shortage of islands and other land masses south, north, east, and west of us.

You're obviously trolling for a fight and trying to stereotype, but you're doing it to the wrong person.. actually, after reading all your individual posts (instead of utilizing the multi-quote feature), you're looking for a fight from quite a few people and you're most likely not going to get it from them either. If I was you and was playing pin the tail on the racist, I'd start by looking in the mirror...

Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,747 times
OUCH!!! Cold-blooded response and I like it! Perhaps we should take all the money we throw at immigration and just build a long bridge from the border to Canada and let the Canadians deal with it. They seem pretty relaxed up there and all the Mexicans I know like Rush so maybe it is a match made in Heaven????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio