U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,514 times

Advertisements

I do blame the legislature, which is about to cut 4 billion in education thus far, and not the taxpayers. Furthermore I know they aren't evenly distrubuted which is why some districts are in the shape they are in. Still unclear how you think we aren't picking up the bill for educating children of illegals? From a teacher trust me it is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM

486 posts, read 869,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
so tell me more about this mexican race you speak of. I've never heard of it and would love some enlightenment; I'm sure I'm not alone either...

and there are other ways into the country, including boats and planes, and there's no shortage of islands and other land masses south, north, east, and west of us.

You're obviously trolling for a fight and trying to stereotype, but you're doing it to the wrong person.. actually, after reading all your individual posts (instead of utilizing the multi-quote feature), you're looking for a fight from quite a few people and you're most likely not going to get it from them either. If I was you and was playing pin the tail on the racist, I'd start by looking in the mirror...
Hmm...perhaps you should try to read a little slower: I said "if someone wants to enter this country BY LAND then they have to do it through Mexico." I wasn't speaking about other forms of transportation.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here (nor caling names like you are) I'm just expressing my opinion that while the law is not based on race, the APPLICATION/ENFORCEMENT will likely be biased by color of skin.

If you want to get technical, most Mexicans are of mixed race: caucasian with native american (and a little of Black). Mix comes in different proportions, so some look whiter than others. In any case, and with a little help from Holywood, most people have this picture of what the "typical" Mexican looks like: you know, short, light brown skin, mustache, the works. So, if you look anything like that, you could be harrased even if you and your parents and grandparents were born here and are 100% American.

So, why don't we start by being thougher with the employers? After all, if they had no jobs, they would not come here. Second, let's make sure any person who is looking for benefits presents proof that they are citizens or legal residents. Third: illegals can enroll their kids in school IF the kids are US citizens AND if they pay full tuition.

That should take care of most of the problems.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
illegals in mexico are treated far more harshly than they are here.

McCain-Kennedy Immigration Reform Bill vs. Mexico's Immigration Law - HUMAN EVENTS

please see that link for a nice review on mexican immigration law.

noteworthy gems:

Mexican authorities must keep track of every single person in the country:

Federal, local and municipal police must cooperate with federal immigration authorities upon request, i.e., to assist in the arrests of illegal immigrants. (Article 73)
A National Population Registry keeps track of "every single individual who comprises the population of the country," and verifies each individual's identity. (Articles 85 and 86)
A national Catalog of Foreigners tracks foreign tourists and immigrants (Article 87), and assigns each individual with a unique tracking number (Article 91).+

Foreigners with fake papers, or who enter the country under false pretenses, may be imprisoned:

Foreigners with fake immigration papers may be fined or imprisoned. (Article 116)
Foreigners who sign government documents "with a signature that is false or different from that which he normally uses" are subject to fine and imprisonment. (Article 116)

Foreigners who fail to obey the rules will be fined, deported, and/or imprisoned as felons:

Foreigners who fail to obey a deportation order are to be punished. (Article 117)
Foreigners who are deported from Mexico and attempt to re-enter the country without authorization can be imprisoned for up to 10 years. (Article 118)
Foreigners who violate the terms of their visa may be sentenced to up to six years in prison (Articles 119, 120 and 121).

Foreigners who misrepresent the terms of their visa while in Mexico -- such as working with out a permit -- can also be imprisoned.

Under Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony. The General Law on Population says,

"A penalty of up to two years in prison and a fine of three hundred to five thousand pesos will be imposed on the foreigner who enters the country illegally." (Article 123)
Foreigners with legal immigration problems may be deported from Mexico instead of being imprisoned. (Article 125)
Foreigners who "attempt against national sovereignty or security" will be deported. (Article 126)

Mexicans who help illegal aliens enter the country are themselves considered criminals under the law:

A Mexican who marries a foreigner with the sole objective of helping the foreigner live in the country is subject to up to five years in prison. (Article 127)
Shipping and airline companies that bring undocumented foreigners into Mexico will be fined. (Article 132)
Got it...I don't think we are debating Mexican laws, as we are in US and discussing laws that affect us as US citizens and legal residents. But if you insist, the big difference is that they 1) don't really enforce the laws, so no one is really asked about their migratory status (and Americans even less), 2) They are more strict because they are trying to avoid people making it into the US, so helping us and 3) If they enforce it, they don't do it based on race (Pretty much all Latin Amerians have similar racial composition, but based on situation, like when you are near or at the border with apparent intention of crossing it.

Here in the US, there are more effective ways to identify illegal aliens, like through work, through social services and through school...not when they stop me for a faulty car headlight.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
and once again another ignorant mention of race.. so what race is this latin american one? or I guess it's a racial composition. MUCH better word there...

and what races are these latin americans composed of? Is there like a specific formula? 40% this, 25% that, and 35% of the third one? Or what about the people that believe there are actually four races? That has to throw off the formula.

I've been all over Central and South America as well as the Caribbean and diversity would be a word that easily comes to mind. There are all sorts of different skin colors and other features that guarantee there is absolutely no standard racial composition. Only a fool would believe that was even possible in an area that size.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 8,090,637 times
Quote:
and once again another ignorant mention of race.. so what race is this latin american one? or I guess it's a racial composition. MUCH better word there...

and what races are these latin americans composed of? Is there like a specific formula? 40% this, 25% that, and 35% of the third one? Or what about the people that believe there are actually four races? That has to throw off the formula.

I've been all over Central and South America as well as the Caribbean and diversity would be a word that easily comes to mind. There are all sorts of different skin colors and other features that guarantee there is absolutely no standard racial composition. Only a fool would believe that was even possible in an area that size.

Let me help you out with that definition.

1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.
5. Biology
a. An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
b. A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine

Race - definition of Race by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Genetically transmitted physical characteristics?
Common history?
Lineage?

hmmmm.....

Regardless, you know darn well what they mean. They are talking about profiling based on appearance. I am sure you have nothing to worry about until they start profiling angry dudes.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,514 times
Man...tons of definitions and numbers on here. Stated before if they're going on appearance I might have free reign in SA since I look like Jimmy Neutron. Well, a little taller. Just don't get rid of the one that washes my trucks and helps me with yardwork. He is here legally....I think.......

Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
I think somebody needs to travel the world a little more.. less dictionary (especially an online one) and more actual experience please. Women in Cuba, Colombia, and Argentina are all hot, but they're completely different kinds of hot. The only thing they sorta have in common is the Spanish language, but any linguist can point out that those are also three distinct versions of the same language.

BTW, the three major races are Caucasoids, Negroids, and Mongoloids...

Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
If you look African American, then you don't have anything to worry about...but if you look "Mexican", beware...

By the way, I really hope they don't profile based on the typical "stereotype" of what a Mexican looks like or they may miss many. S lot of recent Mexican immigrants, particulary the wealthy ones (which may or may not be legally here) look very white, and may even speak good English.

if you would of included Hansome, you will most definitely be describing me!

Anyhow, the real reason why the Federal government hasnt done anything about it, is because IA's cannot file tax returns so in reality the extra money they are getting from there is actually going into Lybia, Egypt and Pakistan or our beloved politicians pockets.

And to that annoying jackwagon that keeps asking for "citations please" please get off your ass and google search!

This SB9 law is only going to be enforced when a person of said race, heritage, or ethnicity have been detained by police. Its not like Police enforcement are going to setup road blocks asking every random "esse" to provide proof of citizenship.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,235,462 times
Quote:

Most Mexicans are mestizo. Mexico is 30% native, 60% mestizo, and about 9% Caucasian. The Caucasians tend to be wealthier due to the colorism issues Mexico has which is common throughout Latin America, thus, the fairer-skinned people of Mexico are less likely to cross the border illegally. The black and Asian populations together makeup less than 1% of the total population.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I think somebody needs to travel the world a little more.. less dictionary (especially an online one) and more actual experience please. Women in Cuba, Colombia, and Argentina are all hot, but they're completely different kinds of hot. The only thing they sorta have in common is the Spanish language, but any linguist can point out that those are also three distinct versions of the same language.

BTW, the three major races are Caucasoids, Negroids, and Mongoloids...
Well...it seems like you like to get stuck in semantics and not really trying to understand the idea. Use the word you like best (race, nationality, ethnicity, genetic group) You know pretty well what I mean: In this country, people have in their minds stereotypes of what Latin Americans looks like, even if not actually true as you have described. Even in countries like Cuba, Argentina, Colombia there are a lof or people who don't fit the stereotype and many who do. So... if you look like the stereotype of a "Mexican", you'll likely be more discriminated and harrassed by the application of the new law that if you don't fit the stereotype.

This is the first image of a "Mexican" person when I searched the term in Bing images: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...an&FORM=IDFRIR

By the way, I have also traveled extensively in the Americas and Europe (only a little bit in Asia and still yet to visit Africa)...so please don't judge someone you don't know.

Cheers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio