Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I will respectfully agree to disagree. I dont think anyone sneaks into the country because they feel they are "above the law". I think they just know that life (especially in the current state of Mexico) is so bad that it is worth the risk.
i can agree the quality of life in mexico is terrible. however, thats no reason for them to circumvent our laws to better themselves and send money back home to a country that doesnt care about them.

to each his own though.

/watch your backs illegals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
So we get a bunch of quitters, how wonderful

'When the going gets rough, we flee the country' can be their motto..

and if a person isn't in the country illegally, there will not be a crime committed against them here.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
Exactly my concern: while I in general trust and respect the San Antonio police and believe a great majority of police officers are genuinly trying to do the right thing, this law can easily be abused.

Just as people complain about Shavano Park officers "finding excuses" to stop and give tickets to people whose cars "don't look right for SP", this new law give the officers "discresion" on who to ask for proof of citizenship. Since most illegal immigrants to San Antonio are Hispanics, guess who is going to be questioned all the time about proof of citizenship?

American citizens don't have any obligation to carry proof of citizenship at all times, so how can you enforce without harrassing?
I am mex-american too and I think that it's high time that immigration laws are enforced in this country. Cops can tell the difference between someone from Mexico and those born here in the States. They are not complete morons. Calif needs this more than us though.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM

92 posts, read 235,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
citation please.
Common sense. Immigrants can obtain a driver's license and a social security card. If their immigration status is changed they may still have those items

Quote:
if youre an immigrant, federal law already requires you to have your passport/visa/papers/whatever on you at all times when out in public.
I'm not an immigrant, but how will the cops know this (say, during a traffic stop) if I don't carry any proof? Or is lack of proof evidence that I am a citizen?

Edited to add: "Database"? Where is the money for creating and maintaining this database going to come from? Is it at the local, state, or national level?

Sounds like it will be safest to just carry my passport and hope I don't lose it.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am mex-american too and I think that it's high time that immigration laws are enforced in this country. Cops can tell the difference between someone from Mexico and those born here in the States. They are not complete morons. Calif needs this more than us though.
careful with that logic and trust in SAPD. while there are a few exceptions to the rule, generally speaking, if someone doesnt know the language of the land (or refuses to learn it), chances are they arent from here.

/go ahead and pull the 'there is no national language' argument, because its invalid.
//the overwhelming majority of those in texas and the USA speak english.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
So we get a bunch of quitters, how wonderful

'When the going gets rough, we flee the country' can be their motto..
Tell me again how the U.S. was founded?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah TX View Post
Common sense. Immigrants can obtain a driver's license and a social security card. If their immigration status is changed they may still have those items
despite that fact, they are still required to carry their immigration papers on them until the receive citizenship.

Quote:
I'm not an immigrant, but how will the cops know this (say, during a traffic stop) if I don't carry any proof? Or is lack of proof evidence that I am a citizen?
when the law is fully enacted and officers trained, they will have tools and training available to them that will help them determine if your status needs checking or not.

telltale signs someone needs to be checked:

cannot understand or speak the language of the land(ill reiterate, even if they are legal immigrants they are still required, by federal law, to have immigration papers on them at all times)
failure to produce a drivers license or proof of insurance (even if you lost it, youre still in the system and everyone i know has their txdl memorized)

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Tell me again how the U.S. was founded?
By a group of people that weren't satisfied with the status quo and did something about it.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
by a group of people that weren't satisfied with the status quo and did something about it.
ohsnap.jpg

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

92 posts, read 235,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
despite that fact, they are still required to carry their immigration papers on them until the receive citizenship.
Again, I am not talking about immigrants. I am talking about natural-born citizens, like myself.

Quote:
when the law is fully enacted and officers trained, they will have tools and training available to them that will help them determine if your status needs checking or not.
This is a cop-out. How a state law will be implemented and enforced is more important than the text of the law itself. I can not support a bill which does not clearly state how it will be implemented.

Furthermore, to prevent racial profiling the status of every person must be checked. This is the only way to ensure that English-speaking illegal immigrants aren't slipping through the cracks.

Edited to add: An illegal immigrant can hold a driver's license that appears to be valid, if they are established as a permanent resident and that status is later revoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio