U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:23 PM

3,657 posts, read 6,469,514 times

Advertisements

I have heard that they will come in through your air conditioning vents and things like that.

I have found a couple in my apartment, including one that came out from under the fridge at me at like 3am, and another one that I stepped on in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM

467 posts, read 911,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
I've lived in SA for all but three years of my life and have never seen one...and I'm glad for that! LOL
Same here,..I've been living in my home for over 25 years and have never seen a scorp anywhere in or around my home(NE),..it may be the area,..new subdivisions that the land has been moved around to build.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,253,925 times
The pest control company that comes to my workplace doesn't do jack; it's a complete waste of money. I tried all of the pesticides I could find in local stores and none of them work on scorpions or spiders. I finally bought Demon WP online and there wasn't a bug in sight for two weeks until a heavy downpour washed all of it away. Since we haven't been getting any rain, that shouldn't be a problem. The bug problem was actually worse last year where I worked because we had too much rain. I also heard that Talstar works.

I had never seen a scorpion in my life until I started working on the south side.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,024,647 times
LOL I live on the south side and have never seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
T
I had never seen a scorpion in my life until I started working on the south side.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,253,925 times
I work in a rural area.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,869,599 times
Haven't seen scorpions lately, used to get them frequently.

But we've had snakes getting into the garage. Their mistake.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 PM

418 posts, read 688,159 times
Quote:
I have to ask...why did you not kill it? I mean, it's not like there's a scorpion shortage. I'm tellin' ya, if it's in my house, it's dying that day.
It wasn't moving around very fast... perhaps had been in the place for a while and was low on energy due to lack of food. <shrug> I don't know... I'm new to all these Texas creepy crawly critters.

It had already tucked itself into a fetal position after being sprayed a coupla times with Spectracide Bug Stop. I noticed the spray did not seem to have the immediate effects it has on other pests... but the specifications do indicate the spray is good for scorpions

I suspect it was on the way out.

Besides, I did not want a stain on the carpet if I had mashed it with my boots.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 AM

522 posts, read 990,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I have heard that they will come in through your air conditioning vents and things like that.

I have found a couple in my apartment, including one that came out from under the fridge at me at like 3am, and another one that I stepped on in the middle of the night.
the house we live in now is pretty old, but the surrounding area has relatively new construction (the past decade.) before then it was just fields and such. when they finally started building, it flushed out all the critters and this house had scorps coming out the vents. i did not live in this house at the time, but i got several amusing (rather, creepy) stories of scorps falling onto them at the most unfortunate times (in the kitchen, on the toilet, etc)

Old 06-18-2011, 02:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,720,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
We normally keep them under control with the Ortho Home defense but have gotten really laxed about spraying so we are paying the price.

ALL of mine have been in the house, one in bed with the daughter. Ouch!!
omg....my worst nightmare!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,421,315 times
They are looking for water...normally they are nocturnal, so if you see one during the day, they probably have been disturbed, or are ill.

The pest control co that we used to use told us that scorpions do not groom themselves, therefore, typical poisons don't work directly on them. But if they eat other bugs that ingested poison, THAT would get them. You just want to close off any openings that they can use to crawl into the house where possible.

When we first built, we used to see quite a few of them. Now it's rare, but I expect to come across some due to the drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio