Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,028,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
My point is, all the rules are written down in a big book. Even if some of them are wrong or for the wrong reasons. You may be right, but you have fair warning how it works, no matter how any of us feel about it.
We shouldn't have 'fair warnIng'. Things should be fair in the first place. Very often, they're not & that is simply wrong & is a travesty of the law & justice. It's pathetic how Lady Justice is so perverted in the USA sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
We shouldn't have 'fair warnIng'. Things should be fair in the first place. Very often, they're not & that is simply wrong & is a travesty of the law & justice. It's pathetic how Lady Justice is so perverted in the USA sometimes.
So get the law changed. Where's your petition to raise the speed limit on 410? I'll sign it.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
By overzealous.......I think it's akin to throwing a big net in the water and catching 40 fish at once, which to me is cheating. I think cops should 'patrol' rather than 'wait'.
Why? I know if I was a cop and I knew there was a spot where people continuously broke traffic laws I'd sit there too until people got the point that maybe they shouldn't pull illegal turns there, or whatever the issue is. At the very least, I'd rather cops wait rather than patrol just because they're wasting a whole lot less gas sitting in one spot than constantly driving around.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Because, as I said, to me it's cheating and their job is to protect and serve, not sit in the middle of the road waiting for people to screw up. Again, that's my POS opinion. No biggie. At this particular intersection.....it really isn't a safety issue. People just want to try and get into the actual turn lane rather than sit through 6 lights....I don't blame them.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 PM

126 posts, read 425,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
It should also be noted, to help understand why so many agencies, in Texas, Police tend to either serve a court or a taxing agency (with a few State agencies that are regulatory)

Municiple Police (Such as SAPD, Leon Valley,...any city Police) Serve a municiple court.

Constables serve the JP court.

Sheriffs serve the county court.

Of course, if SAPD or a Constable needs to file a Felony, they have to do it at the County court.

It can seem complicated, but just keep in mind, if a political subdivision has a court and/or the power to levy a tax, they can (and most often do) have Peace Officers who serve them....and again, a Cop is a Cop. (there is an exception in the Texas Constitution that the Sheriff shall be the chief law enforcement officer in each county.

There is also a few exceptions for private universities and again, State regulatory bodies.
I have seen a few "stealth" cop cars (the kind with reflective markings the same color as the car) with MARSHALL written on the side. I wasn't able to see any of the fine print indicating a jurisdiction underneath. They have been mostly in the area around 281 and 410 near the airport and always have someone pulled over.

Who would these cops be working for? It's one thing if a Constable or a Park Police officer pulls someone over they see driving recklessly but to have stealth cars that are purpose built to write traffic tickets just seems like they are out to generate revenue.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post
I have seen a few "stealth" cop cars (the kind with reflective markings the same color as the car) with MARSHALL written on the side. I wasn't able to see any of the fine print indicating a jurisdiction underneath. They have been mostly in the area around 281 and 410 near the airport and always have someone pulled over.

Who would these cops be working for? It's one thing if a Constable or a Park Police officer pulls someone over they see driving recklessly but to have stealth cars that are purpose built to write traffic tickets just seems like they are out to generate revenue.
In any case, I don't get the purpose of having those stealth cars. It really is a bait and hook concept they are implementing.

What I hate more is when non-LEO folks (perhaps wannabes?) drive cars that look like sealth cop cars making drivers around me freak out and slowing traffic down UNDER the posted speed limit and after they realize it is a false alarm they take off again speeding.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogsTX View Post

The "Marshalls" are a part of the City of San Antonio (not technically SAPD)

It should be noted, there is another is another side to having stealth cars....you can catch more crazy drivers. Hate it all you want, but most people cant imagine how people drive with a Police car around. You think you know....you dont unless you have driven a Police car around a fair amount.

You want the insane drivers off the road? The guy doing 100 in and out of traffic, cutting across multiple lanes? (we all know the type) You need unmarked units to get more of them.

You may not like it, you may not think it is worth it, you may not care but that is the other side of the story.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
In any case, I don't get the purpose of having those stealth cars. It really is a bait and hook concept they are implementing.
I don't get how stealth cop cars bait anyone into speeding. You're either speeding or you're not, the stealth cop car being there's isn't baiting anyone into speeding. In fact like you mentioned with cars that look like stealth cop cars - if people suspect it's an undercover cop, the stealth car actually baits them into NOT speeding

The purpose of the stealth cars is the same as the purpose of any sting/undercover operation - you're much more likely to catch people breaking the law when they think law enforcement isn't present and they won't get caught.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

What I hate more is when non-LEO folks (perhaps wannabes?) drive cars that look like sealth cop cars making drivers around me freak out and slowing traffic down UNDER the posted speed limit and after they realize it is a false alarm they take off again speeding.
Bait and Hook?

There put giant signs on the roads telling you the limit. Then they put all the rules in a book that everyone has access to. They also let you pick who makes up the rules.

There is no baiting. The police didnt dare you to break the law. All they are doing is sitting back and watching to see who does, of their own free will, after fair warning.

As always, you may not like it, you may think it is unfair, but it isnt anyone elses fault of you decide "I am going to do it anyways"

Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I dont have a problem with how you feel about it. You may be some degree of right.

However, my point stands, no matter how you feel about it, it doesnt change the fact that you have fair warning.

It's like petting a rattle snake...just because you think you should doesnt mean you can. Right or wrong...you know better. If you dont pet a rattle snake, your chances of getting bit by it are pretty slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio