Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

The signs are flashing? I'll slow down.... Not a hassle to me in the least..

I'd rather see the kids in some type of school activity over the summer than having nothing to do and wind up getting in some type of trouble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
But not all. I think that is the point. Why activate a school zone when there isnt a soul around?

believe -- at least in NEISD -- every school is a pick up and drop off point for students who are being bussed to the campuses that are holding summer school.

Please mind those school zones....walk through them every day through the regular school year, and people just whiz right by even when kids are crossing the street. Maybe one out of every 5 (and some days, 10 cars) will actually stop for children. It's disgusting. I've never lived in a state where motorists show such disregard for pedestrians/children/crosswalks.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Some schools are also serving free breakfast and lunch to kids. I assumed that was the reason for the school zones still being in effect.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:29 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
believe -- at least in NEISD -- every school is a pick up and drop off point for students who are being bussed to the campuses that are holding summer school.

Please mind those school zones....walk through them every day through the regular school year, and people just whiz right by even when kids are crossing the street. Maybe one out of every 5 (and some days, 10 cars) will actually stop for children. It's disgusting. I've never lived in a state where motorists show such disregard for pedestrians/children/crosswalks.
I completely agree with you. If there is activity at the school, they need to be on and people need to mind them. I am especially sensitive to them for this upcoming school year because my daughter will be a safety patrol. I dont need her working around the curbs in front of the school with stupid people flying through there.

That said, it is a pain in the butt to drive 20mph. If there is zero activity at the school and it is basically closed for the summer, they dont really need to be on.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
Also be aware that you cannot be on your cell phones in some school zones. That is a huge fine and if you are speeding and on a phone ouch!! Personally, you should not be on the phone while driving anyway in my opinion. If it is flashing, regardless of kids or not, slow down because those cops are out there.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Yeah, summer school...but summer school isn't held at every school, and the lights are STILL flashing. For instance, when I pass Baskin Elementary at 8:00 or 8:15 a.m., the school zone lights are flashing, but the parking lot is empty and there are no children (or adults, for that mattter) anywhere around.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 AM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
Budget cuts! Got make up that shortfall somehow, those that actually think it's for the safety of the kids your wrong! The city just found another way to cash in!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Budget cuts! Got make up that shortfall somehow, those that actually think it's for the safety of the kids your wrong! The city just found another way to cash in!
wow. For two years now I have wondered why on earth people in this state speed through school zones. Now I finally understand. The heat has clearly made Texans nutty.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
People. Even if summer school is not in session at a particular campus numerous campuses throughout NISD are holding summer camps, enrichment programs, etc so the parking lot might be empty, but there are children in most of those buildings. I also know at high schools (Stevens and Brennan to be exact) ROTC, cheerleaders, baseball leagues, and offseason football is going on so you might not see them, but there are kids at these campuses. Slow it down is all. Does it really make a difference to slow down to 20-30 mph for two minutes? Cmon now

Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
Of course I always slow down to 20 in an active school zone, but it's also ridiculous to keep school zones lit up and flashing when no one is in the school.

And you're trying to tell me that there are kids in the schools but no cars in the lot? Are the kids in there by themselves? Did the grownups all walk to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio