U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:17 PM

615 posts, read 1,325,785 times

Advertisements

Put down the dogs/cats that aren't microchipped or don't have a collar. In my mind, those are mostly the strays and/or unwanted animals. We picked up a shelter dog, but frankly, the more shelters you build, the bigger the problem grows. It's not like you build "X" amount of shelters, and that will work from here on out. The problem will just grow bigger.

It's like allocating "X" amount of dollars for Darfur or some other 3rd world country. It doesn't fix the issue, it just makes you feel good inside because you feel like you're helping, even though you're blind to the real issues.

You need to look at the underlying problem here. Why are there so many strays? Because the shelters are full. Why are the shelters so full? Because they have a no kill status. Why do they have a no kill status? Beats me............

You can't blame the owner, who tries repeatedly to give up his/her animal to a shelter that will take it. Most refuse. What is the owner to do??? They must move or do something else that prevents them from caring for their pet. They've tried craigslist and the local shelters. No one wants the animal.

Sigh

Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Why are there so many strays? Sigh
Because people don't spay and neuter their pets. Because immature people buy their designer dogs and then in a couple of months after they've pooped in the house one too many times, all of a sudden they just don't have time for a dog. Because people don't want their nice stuff messed up, because they didn't put any thought in to pet ownership and all that it entails.

But the greatest of these is the culture that thinks altering a dog or cat is somehow a reflection on their own manliness.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

37,731 posts, read 55,391,166 times
I agree with some of the posters that we need our priorities straightened, otherwise there will be more stray dogs and cats to care than people in this city.
I am sorry, if someone does not agree with me, but stray animals should be put to sleep, and the shelters should hold only animals that people gave up for adoption - on a temporary basis, for a set number of years.
Our economy is struggling, people are struggling, many lost work, are sick, need shelters, food, and monetary help.
In that situation spending millions of dollars for stray dogs and cats, build them air conditioned shelters, employ qualified staff, give doctors care, medications and food seems highly inappropriate.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM

32 posts, read 102,408 times
Please find a way to keep your dog. She is a member of your family and you and your family ARE her family!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Put down the dogs/cats that aren't microchipped or don't have a collar. In my mind, those are mostly the strays and/or unwanted animals. We picked up a shelter dog, but frankly, the more shelters you build, the bigger the problem grows. It's not like you build "X" amount of shelters, and that will work from here on out. The problem will just grow bigger.
We have several loved and cared for animals that are not microchipped in our house.Should they be? Probably. But all the neighbors know they are our animals. I would hate to see an animal put to sleep instantly because they are not microchipped.

One of ours was a kitten of a stray from a co-worker. We haven't had the extra $50 to have the cat microchipped yet. He has been fixed and is loved to death. The other is a fat old cat who wanders around. He is obviously loved. One of the dogs is not microchipped...but has a collar and a phone number to contact if he gets lost. Should he be put to sleep because he doesn't have a chip?

I hope and pray the OP finds a place for this dog. It would be a shame for it to be in a shelter after having a home.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM

418 posts, read 687,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am sorry, if someone does not agree with me, but stray animals should be put to sleep
Canadian Parliamentary Cats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess you'd have them destroy all these kitties and tear
down the condo?

Old 06-19-2011, 08:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellen View Post
Please find a way to keep your dog. She is a member of your family and you and your family ARE her family!
Apparently the OP, for whatever reason, can't keep the dog. Isn't it better to find another home for it than to turn it out in the street? I admire the OP for doing his/her homework and trying to find someone or someplace to take the dog.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 PM

37,731 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
Canadian Parliamentary Cats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess you'd have them destroy all these kitties and tear
down the condo?
Not necessary, and that's why:

The care of the cats and maintenance of the sanctuary is carried out by volunteers, and the effort is funded purely by donation.
The population slowly dropped off until there were no more than a dozen cats present at any one time.

The new (2009) Animal Shelter in San Antonio:

Campus-style setting surrounded by plenty of green space, the $12 million facility provides a welcoming atmosphere for potential pet adopters.
The kennel for dogs features more than 100 canine runs, and the cat adoption kennel features individual enclosures, as well as a 45-square-foot (4.2-m2) glass-enclosed “kitty condo” where cat lovers can interact with the feline residents.
New veterinary clinic with a state-of-the art surgical suite, covered stalls for livestock, a separate sick bay kennel, a housing area for feral cats and “get acquainted” yards.
“We also liked that the profile of the gutters matched the profile of the fascia, which gives a clean line to the roof edges."
The exterior walls of the buildings are finished with an attractive combination of split-face concrete masonry units and stucco painted a vibrant mauve color to complement the dark gray roof.

Well, lots of people would like to live in such luxuries...

Last edited by elnina; 06-19-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,013,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
bella is about 40lbs, she has her rabies shots

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
She's a cutie. You know someone should start a website online for this kind of thing.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
Can anyone post the picture on CD instead of using ImageShack? It's blocked here and I wanted to see her again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio