U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:24 AM

937 posts, read 2,154,219 times

Advertisements

can you recommend a place where me and my husband can give away our chinese shar pei dog?

alot of sources online say make sure to give away to a pet shelter that doesn't put them down - but how do I find out this info??

do you guys have any recommendations here in SA that you know for sure they don't put animals down?

also, is there going to be a fee or a charge for us giving her away? and is there going to be a waiting list to apply for her to be adopted?

thanks

JW

Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 AM

502 posts, read 813,426 times
Any more info about the dog? Age, shots, house broken,pics? I'm looking for a new grind for my current dog.. If your set on a shelter if I'm not mistaken sooner or later the dog will be put down if not adopted, however don't take my word im not 100% sure...

Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 AM

937 posts, read 2,154,219 times
how do i insert a pic to this thread?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,743,398 times
Why are you giving away your dog? I understand there are extreme situations that might require it, but my pets are my kids and I would never part with them under any circumstances. Is it possible a relative or friend could take the dog until you are settled in a few location? Here is some infor that might be of some help. Good luck to you and your dog.

There are some no kill facilities, but most often they are full, and have a waiting list. There is a Shar-Pei rescue in Texas, but its in north Texas, still the website maybe of some help to you. Here are a few websites that might be useful. The sad fact is there so many lovely sweet dogs without homes. Be very careful if you decide to place an ad yourself to find the dog a home. Charge a re-homing fee of some sort. There are evil people out there that sell dogs to research facilities and use them to fight. They look for free dog ads. Very sick indeed, but still in 2011 it happens.

Home - Animal Defense League
Converse Animal Shelter, Inc. A non-profit, no-kill animal shelter.
Animal Friends Humane Society - Home
SARA Sanctuary
Texas "No-Kill" Animal Shelters
Shar-Pei Rescue Groups < Texas >

You can use image shack to upload a photo. Copy and paste here.
http://imageshack.us/

Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,573,538 times
[quote=jons_wifey;19653861]"can you recommend a place where me and my husband can give away our chinese shar pei dog?

alot of sources online say make sure to give away to a pet shelter that doesn't put them down - but how do I find out this info??

do you guys have any recommendations here in SA that you know for sure they don't put animals down?

also, is there going to be a fee or a charge for us giving her away? and is there going to be a waiting list to apply for her to be adopted?"

thanks

1. Contact the (I HOPE!) breeder you got her from.If s/he was a responsible breeder they'll take the dog back.

2, Contact a rescue group. Here are several groups:
Chinese Shar-Pei
Chinese Shar-Pei Club of America
North America Shar-Pei Rescue (NASPR)
President, Jerry Doka, tango3@frontiernet.net
SOSHARPEI, Inc.
WeLuvPaws Chinese Shar Pei Rescue
Operation Scarlet, Inc.
Pei People Shar Pei Rescue, Inc. (serving Southern California, Nevada, Arizona and beyond...)
PO Box 1526, Lake Forest, CA 92609, info@peipeople.co
TX (http://www.sharpeirescue.com/states/Tx.htm - broken link)
Chinese Shar-Pei Rescue

But, why do you HAVE to give your dog away?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,297,539 times
how big is this dog? I'm down to three now and could use something a little bigger..

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,319,047 times
Poor dog. I hope you can get him into the Human Society on Fredericksburg Rd./410.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,991,679 times
Well, at least the OP is trying to find a good home. Too many folks will simply "release" them onto the streets. Never know why some folks have to give up an animal - things can happen in our lives that simply make it necessary, and it's apparently what's happened here. Hopefully, someone reading this will contact the OP and arrange to take the dog into a loving home....

Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 AM

418 posts, read 687,652 times
Check with your friends. Don't be a hard sell, but mention the dog is available if they know someone who can provide a decent home.

Where did you get her? If a breeder, check with them. There are sometimes rescue networks that can help out.

For a shelter, you will need to seek out a no-kill shelter. Google "san antonio no kill shelters" will bring you up a few links.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,134,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul56 View Post
For a shelter, you will need to seek out a no-kill shelter. Google "san antonio no kill shelters" will bring you up a few links.
By offering this simplistic advice, I'm assuming you're not from here, so I want to dispel something for the benefit of future readers of this thread.

San Antonio's city shelters are officially working to reach no-kill status in 2012. They're constantly full to capacity because they take in more dogs and cats than they can adopt out. As a result, they don't take in pets and they don't seek out strays. The city has a massive stray pet problem that has been made worse by the no-kill goal. The capacity issue at public shelters has made the private shelters full to their capacity, too. Which is probably why the OP is asking for advice here.

The city not killing animals at its shelters has left almost no options for pet owners needing to shelter a pet here other than euthanasia and releasing them as strays. It's a glaring example of unintended consequences of a policy shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio